Author Topic: Is it appropriate?  (Read 5099 times)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Is it appropriate?
« on: August 22, 2012, 01:40:39 AM »
I'm writing a short story for Writers of the future.  It's Urban Fantasy about a social worker looking for a few kids who have gone missing.  There's magic involved.  Can I use the line "What would Harry Dresden do?"  Because I really really want to.

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Is it appropriate?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 02:25:40 AM »
Ouch.  Copyright and intellectual property issues.  No easy answer here. 
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - D. Vader

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 02:30:10 AM »
See, i'm a little worried about that, but it's more a pop culture reference.  I mean, harry calls the X-men by name. Jedi and Sith are copywritten.  Anybody know the exact definition of what's allowed and when it becomes theft?

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:50:16 PM »
I'm reading a book right now called Libriomancer by Jim Hines. Fantastic read. It's about a guy who can reach into books and pull out objects into reality. In the book he mentions several books that actually exist, talks about vampires who sparkle that have come out of Stephanie Meyers book, and even mentions Charlaine Harris. Now the grey area is whether he's gone out to all these authors and gotten permission before using them in his book.

However early on in the book he pulls out a gun which is very similar to a phaser and talks about a book which is oddly similar to Star Trek, but purposely calls it something else, which I'm guessing he does to avoid copyright issues. But Star Trek isn't just a literary phenomenon, it's movies, books, toys, etc.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 03:14:54 PM »
Pat Rothfuss recommended that one.  Ill be checking it out soonish.  For now I think Ill just go with it.  I mean, its not like Im trying to profit off Jim's work.  However was the phaser from The Starship Intrepid? Because that's a reference to Scalzi's Red Shirts.  A move I can see being made.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 03:30:16 PM »
From what I've read on the subject, simply referencing another work is considered "fair use" and does not require permission.  If you quote from someone else's work--other than in a review--that does require permission.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
No the book was called, "The Vulcan's Mirror," and the vague description of the story was inspired by the original trek series episode, Mirror, Mirror. You won't be disappointed when you read this one. I too picked it up from Rothfuss's recommendation.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »
I'd certainly not want to tick off JB; he might send round one of his villains. No, wait. It would be Fred--that's scary. WAIT, Presellie would be far worse and far more likely! Mab on steroids.

Seriously though, I'd send her a note and ask her. Jim might not mind a nod going into "Writers of the Future" at all.  That's the one that the Sci Fi Writers put out right? Kinda a big thing. Congrats!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:58:50 PM »
I'd certainly not want to tick off JB; he might send round one of his villains. No, wait. It would be Fred--that's scary. WAIT, Presellie would be far worse and far more likely! Mab on steroids.

Seriously though, I'd send her a note and ask her. Jim might not mind a nod going into "Writers of the Future" at all.  That's the one that the Sci Fi Writers put out right? Kinda a big thing. Congrats!

It's a contest not a sure thing regrettably.  This is just an entry. Thanks though.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 02:48:35 AM »
Ahh, well then... To be honest, I think the people making the selection probably wouldn't approve. It seems a bit like a cheap, inside joke. It's one thing if you are famous and you know JB, but other than that? I'd leave it off. If they want it? Then you can figure out if you can go back to insert it.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 02:57:41 AM »
It's supposed to be a bit of characterization.  The character is a social worker who's kids(clients) have gone missing.  Along the way he discovers and starts learning the system of magic the kids discovered and which lead to their disappearance.  It helps with the character's sense of humor and hobbies as well as explaining why he doesn't freak out more...

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 03:30:52 AM »
Although the Dresden books are best sellers, I don't know if they've reached the point yet that Harry's name would be recognised by all readers. If they don't recognise him then the line isn't going to make much sense.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 03:42:06 AM »
Although the Dresden books are best sellers, I don't know if they've reached the point yet that Harry's name would be recognised by all readers. If they don't recognise him then the line isn't going to make much sense.

Very true.  On the other hand, that isn't necessarily important.  If somebody is reading a writer's of the future entry they'll at least know who he is.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »
Very true.  On the other hand, that isn't necessarily important.

It's important at the level that something that's obviously a reference you don't get can be irritating to many readers.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 12:21:43 AM »
That's a constant danger in Urban fantasy...  Either you reference things and risk people not getting them or you don't reference things and your characters lose valuable characterization.  References make characters so much more approachable and human seeming.