Author Topic: Ask a simple question...  (Read 18601 times)

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple question...
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2012, 05:10:09 PM »
I AM looking at a pre-release, because my book isn't in front of me.  That would make more sense, and I'm sorry for doubting you Centarion!

Seems like the consensus is simultaneous, so that's what I'm going with.  Thanks everyone!

Now I have another stunt question: Upon a successful defense, Riposte grants you an immediate, automatically successful attack at the cost of your next action.  Is that weapon damage only or would you roll something?

If I remember correctly, it's the same roll-- you just consider it oppositely directed:

You are attacked for 3, defend with a 7.  Normally this would simply generate 4 (mostly) useless shifts.  If you have riposte, you immediately hit your attacker for 4 (+weapon).

Also what constitutes as a "successful" defense roll is kinda muddy.  Does successful mean as long as you block ANY of the attack?  Or do you have to block the whole thing for the stunt to trigger?  I have no idea.   :o
It seems like it would be a defense where you take no damage.  After all, an attack where you do do* damage is a successful attack...  seems pretty simple to me...?

*  haha, doo-doo.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:16:20 PM by Orladdin »
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline AugustusGloop

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2012, 05:17:12 PM »
Thanks Orladdin, you reminded me of the stunt Murphy has, and that's exactly how it works.  As to the degree of blocking, a 0 shift hit is still a hit, so it wouldn't have been successfully defended, and Riposte wouldn't trigger.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »
The way I've read Riposte, and which seems supported by its write-up under Shiro's bio in Our World, is that your defense is the attack--so if someone attacked and rolled a 3, and you defended and got a 5, using Riposte would switch the values, as if you'd attacked with 5 and they defended with 3.

Ack, didn't realize I was still on the previous page. Ninja'd by Orladdin.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Another Question
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »
If a GM compells a player to tread carefully (athletic's check if they move) or fall using the room's aspect of "Floor Covered With Fish", does the fate point go to the player since it is affecting them or the room since it is the room's aspect?

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2012, 07:02:36 PM »
If the GM decides a compel in appropriate here then the fate point goes to the player. On the other hand if the room has that aspect or some environmental hazard that mandates athletics rolls to move with failure placing a "fall" aspect, then that is what the room is, I personally do not feel this is a compel.

In my mind a compel would be something like the player says his character runs across the zone, the GM says "I compel you to fall since the floor is covered with fish." A compel generally does not have a roll involved, either there is a skill check for weather or not you can do something, or there is a compel. There are some cases where this may not be true, but in this case I think that is correct. This also assumes that falling is a big inconvenience (ie this is a combat or chase scene, or the fact that his jacket is now covered in fish is going to hurt him later or something), otherwise it would be a weak compel. 

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2012, 07:43:39 PM »
In my mind a compel would be something like the player says his character runs across the zone, the GM says "I compel you to fall since the floor is covered with fish." A compel generally does not have a roll involved, either there is a skill check for weather or not you can do something, or there is a compel.
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2012, 08:13:38 PM »
So if you didn't want a compel, you could just set the difficulty higher and cite the Aspect as the reason for the difficulty.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I AM looking at a pre-release, because my book isn't in front of me.  That would make more sense, and I'm sorry for doubting you Centarion!

As an aside, since you bought the pre-release you can get a free copy of the released PDF.  Evil Hat is great!

Richard

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2012, 02:09:42 PM »

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2012, 01:50:41 AM »
Working on a potion making NPC. If I want to give him the specialization of +2 lore for the purposes of potion power, is that a mortal stunt or a spellcasting power like refinement.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2012, 02:26:14 AM »
That would most likely be refinement for specializations.  This would necessitate both full Thaumaturgy (to allow refinement for specializations) as well as a separate +1 specialization in thaumaturgy, though that could include the 'free' point with the power itself, and could be put into crafting frequency.

It could also be a focus item.

In either case, it would apply to all enchanted items that the character crafted, potion or otherwise.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2012, 04:59:49 AM »
I wanted to go the focus item rout, but I thought the rules said no on focus or enchanted items to crafting bonuses.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2012, 05:09:45 AM »
I wanted to go the focus item rout, but I thought the rules said no on focus or enchanted items to crafting bonuses.

Craft: Frequency and Craft: Power foci improve the frequency and power of all enchanted items and potions you make using them. That is their entire point. The limitation is that Craft: Foci don't help you make stronger foci.

Offline AstronaughtAndy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2012, 12:37:19 PM »
As an example, in the back of Your Story, the Caffeinomancer at Neutral Grounds has a Craft: power foci spoon.