Author Topic: Ask a simple question...  (Read 18889 times)

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple question...
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2012, 09:19:45 AM »
Optimally, you would want both, though.

Another couple questions.

If you have Feeding Dependency, and a Discipline of Superb or higher, do you get "mild hunger consequences"?

If so, can you use them to power rituals?

Can you save skill points, to spend them all at one go later?

1. If you can spend Hunger stress on consequences, I don't see why not.

2. I'd say no, but I suppose you could justify it.

3. Yes. This is used in one of the examples in Advacement chapter of YS. Remember, though, you have to obey the skill pyramid at all times.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »
You can save skill points for later use.  Otherwise you would never be able to gain anymore "skill slots" above average, and would be glutted with average skills before long.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2012, 04:14:25 PM »
How does running water affect magic. Is it treated as a block or a location aspect?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2012, 04:16:19 PM »
I think it can work as a threshold.

EDIT:  http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23721.0.html
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:39:46 PM by Taran »

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2012, 06:19:26 PM »
The confusing part of the threshold for me is how that pairs with shorting out magic. And if the rain was only a threshold of 1 when Harry dealt with the Nightmare (looked like him, attacked Charity Carpenter), then how was that enough to beat it?

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:07 PM »
The confusing part of the threshold for me is how that pairs with shorting out magic. And if the rain was only a threshold of 1 when Harry dealt with the Nightmare (looked like him, attacked Charity Carpenter), then how was that enough to beat it?

The rain wasn't enough. It just shorted out the Fire spell. The stream that Harry pushed the Nightmare into had a greater volume of moving water, thus it beat the Nightmare.

In a system sense, the stream would be a zone or scene aspect that Harry (or his player Jim :P) made an assessment to discover or, more likely, spent a Fate Point to declare. He then made an attack with Might, tagging the 'stream' aspect, or, more likely, Maneuvered the Nightmare in and tagged the 'In a stream' aspect for effect to dissolve the ectoplasmic body. At least, that's how I'd do it.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline AugustusGloop

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
When a character takes a stunt allowing them to sustain multiple mild consequences at the same time, how do those consequences heal?  Simultaneously? Consecutively? Or does recovery take one scene per consequence, so they're staggered simultaneous?

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »
My understanding is simultaneously, which is why you would bother taking multiples. If you had to take them in order, it would be like a moderate consequence only without the benefit of a higher discount.

Offline AugustusGloop

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »
Not exactly like a Moderate, since half of your Moderate would disappear in half the time.  It just feels like if they disappear simultaneously, than the stunt, which as written in YS allows you 3 simultaneous milds, is really a Severe that disappears at the speed of a mild.

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »
The stunt (as far as I know, I may be misunderstanding) allows you one extra mild. Having 5 endurance also grants one extra mild. So by using an apex skill and a stunt you are able to absorb 6 points of stress as 3 consequences that each heal simultaneously at the speed of a mild. That seems reasonable.

Note that it is really nothing like a severe. First, you can use one, two or all of them on any attack (with a severe if you have to use it on a 4 stress hit, then you used it, with 3 mild's you only used 2 of them). Second, each one places an aspect which can be tagged or invoked against you, so in this way it is much worse to take 3 mild's than one severe (at least assuming that the opponent is going to get another round). Third, you can use recovery powers to heal them in combat, or make them disappear at the start of the next scene.

Offline AugustusGloop

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2012, 03:11:39 PM »
Centarion: You're posting without a book in front of you I think, which I am guilty of all the time, but reading from the book:
A severe cancels 6 stress, not 4, that's a moderate.  The stunt as written in YS grants you two additional milds. (pg 152), which (in the absence of anything else modifying your consequences) is equal to 3 milds total, or 6 stress.  That's a severe.  If they heal simultaneously, that's clearing a severe at the speed of a mild, and still having a real severe in reserve.  Is that how it works?  Seems powerful for 1 refresh.

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »
I am not familiar with that stunt. The only stunts in YS that grant consequences are an endurance stunt that grants 1 mild physical, and a conviction stunt that grants 2 mild mental to resist torture. You are correct, I do not have a book in front of me, so I may be wrong, but I am fairly sure I am not.

I am well aware a severe cancels 6 stress and a mild cancels 2, the point I was making was that if your moderate was full and you needed to cancel a 4 stress hit (lets say your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stress boxes are filled along with your moderate consequence) you would have to spend your severe. If you had 3 mild's you would only spend 2 of them (not all 6 stress worth). Also, as I mentioned each mild will give an aspect that the opponent can tag, so if you did use all 3 like a sever and suffered another attack the opponent could easily get a free +6 (instead of the +2 they would get if you used only your severe).

I am fairly certain that all the mild consequences will heal simultaneously (I do not think this is mentioned in the rules, but it is the common sense interpretation). Your body can heal from a small arm cut and a bruise at the same time, so there shouldn't be a reason why they do not heal simultaneously. Also note that most characters require some justification to start the healing process.

So, if I remember correctly you would need to spend both a stunt and an apex skill to get the benefit you need. So it would be more costly than 1 refresh. Note that Inhuman Recovery already effectively give a free extra mild and allows moderates to heal at the speed of mild's (and mild's to heal like stress) for only 2 refresh, so this doesn't seem all that good by comparison. 

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »
Centarion: You're posting without a book in front of you I think, which I am guilty of all the time, but reading from the book:
A severe cancels 6 stress, not 4, that's a moderate.  The stunt as written in YS grants you two additional milds. (pg 152), which (in the absence of anything else modifying your consequences) is equal to 3 milds total, or 6 stress.  That's a severe.  If they heal simultaneously, that's clearing a severe at the speed of a mild, and still having a real severe in reserve.  Is that how it works?  Seems powerful for 1 refresh.
Are you looking at a pre-release version perhaps?  Endurance's No Pain, No Gain trapping gives you one additional mild.

Don't really think it's all that powerful even as you'd written it though - sure it would let you heal six stress worth of consequences fairly quickly but it would have given your opponents three free tags which they could easily have used to give you that Severe as well.  Mild consequences really aren't worth it - the free tag is the same value as the consequence itself. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline AugustusGloop

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »
I AM looking at a pre-release, because my book isn't in front of me.  That would make more sense, and I'm sorry for doubting you Centarion!

Seems like the consensus is simultaneous, so that's what I'm going with.  Thanks everyone!

Now I have another stunt question: Upon a successful defense, Riposte grants you an immediate, automatically successful attack at the cost of your next action.  Is that weapon damage only or would you roll something?

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2012, 05:05:25 PM »
I AM looking at a pre-release, because my book isn't in front of me.  That would make more sense, and I'm sorry for doubting you Centarion!

Seems like the consensus is simultaneous, so that's what I'm going with.  Thanks everyone!

Now I have another stunt question: Upon a successful defense, Riposte grants you an immediate, automatically successful attack at the cost of your next action.  Is that weapon damage only or would you roll something?
You would probably roll for attack like normal.  But even if you rolled a zero to hit, the weapon damage would still go through.  This would make it easy to defend, but It's basically a free attack action, but that's just my take on it.  Also what constitutes as a "successful" defense roll is kinda muddy.  Does successful mean as long as you block ANY of the attack?  Or do you have to block the whole thing for the stunt to trigger?  I have no idea.   :o