Author Topic: Suggest Topics Here!  (Read 50812 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Suggest Topics Here!
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:00:10 PM »
Have you written/encountered a really compelling theory you'd like to see represented in the Reference Collection?  Link to it here!

Edit:  Serack
Something that can help in evaluating a suggested topic is to review it using the method described in the index topic.

Also, this child board is not intended to supersede the origional spoiler board when it comes to discussion.  As such, new topics on theories will probably spend considerable time maturing in the other sections of the boards before being moved here.

Edit2:  -Elegast as channeled by Serack
The fundamental question is: do we want to save the thread from the auto-delete monster?

In practice, the threads being kept fall in five categories:

Theory
A thread where a new theory is explained.
Example: Serack's Lash theory

Discussion
That's a thread where the OP is often weak, but the following replies are strong.
Example: conversation about the Blackstaff

Fun
Those are just fun threads.
Example:Knnn's code

Factual references
these threads try to collect all the facts on an aspect of the DF
Example: the legendary timeline of Priscillie

References about theories
A thread where the OP trys to gather all the knowledge about a theory into a single post. (often the knowledge is otherwise spread over many threads, with no coherent organisation/structure).
Example: my Cowl = Simon thread.

Edit3:  -Serack

So far I haven't been able to come up with a Thread worthy of being included in the Reference section. If you don't mind me asking, what am I doing wrong? How is a Thread judged good enough to be saved in the Reference Section?

Since I'm the curator that seems to be the quickest to pull the transfer topic trigger, I guess if one of your topics were to be transferred it'd probably be by me, and I'm human and that makes the decision a bit subjective.

As such I'd say that the criteria for topics I transfer are:
  • A worthy topic has to somehow come to my attention after it gets auto-locked but before it gets auto-deleted or
  • Is a "Reference" that can be expected to require maintenance by the OP (Original Post) as new books come out.  I.E. a "list" of things in the series.  Then it usually gets transferred before the auto-lock.
  • The topic must somehow be significant in my best (not perfect) judgment.
    Things relevant to "significance:"
    • Novelty:  Something I'm pretty sure is an entirely new idea.  Of course it also has to be relevant.  The most pure example of this is the Lacuna = Tooth fairy theory
    • If it is a good representation of, or advances a popular topic.  I.E. I think someone deliberately crafted a Simon=Cowl topic for the DFRC They did a good job with the presentation and development (discussed below) and it was a popular theory that we didn't have an archived representation of to point new members at so it got transferred (I think).  I think I've transferred several Little Chicago threads that theorized from a relevantly different angle because of how they "advanced" the topic.
    • Presentation:  Formatting matters, so if I have a choice between 2 topics that say the same thing but one is a single paragraph with no line brakes, while another one with the same conclusions has all the thoughts in bullet form with nice bolded headers for each sub section, the latter will get the transfer.
    • Development:  Between two topics, if one includes things like "I remember a WoJ that implies x" or "I remember book Y saying this particular detail" while the other quotes the actual relevant WoJ's or book excerpt, I'll chose the one with quotes. 
    • References:  External mythology and stuff that could have influenced Jim's creation of the DF also adds relevance to a topic becoming a reference topic since it brings material to our table that many of us may otherwise be unaware of.  Links to sources and pictures and stuff really get my attention too.  Take a look in the DFRC, and you will find references to Yeats, quotes from Wikipedia on the Battle of Hastings, and may discussions on various myths that Mac could be from with relevant references.  Heck, I've got a topic that utilizes a Feynman Diagram to illustrate the relationships between the Fae mantles.
    • Substance/meatiness:  If a topic OP consists of just a 1 line question, unless some serious development progresses in the later comments, I probably won't transfer it because it's the conclusions that tend to carry the most weight for me, not the questions.  Plus, see my first criteria.  It's harder for a topic to get my attention after it's locked if the significance is in the replies rather than the original post.

Let me revisit the "it has to come to my attention" part.  This is probably the most arbitrary part of my evaluating potential topics, because I'm not always active, and how something gets my attention can vary, but some rather subjective/arbitrary things influence it (Such as if I take a brake from participating on the forums).  But in addition to that, there have been plenty of times when I went on an active prowl looking for new topics to transfer, and part of my method was to go to the profiles of forum posters who have a history of generating topics that I'd transferred in the past (There is a "topics" tab in the show posts page of everyone's profile).  This ends up biasing things towards those that have already made contributions though.  But I do post in the suggest topics sticky asking for suggestions as well. 

Another way topics come to my attention is when I'm researching the forums using the search function to find a post I remember someone making that I want to use in my response to someone's current topic.  This happened today, in that Griff listed his WAGs and I searched for one I remember him generating topics on.  I saw that the topic he generated was well presented and developed, referenced interesting external mythos, and came to significant conclusions.  Although the version I transferred wasn't in itself novel, it was novel relatively recently, and wasn't represented in the DFRC.  The search also pointed me at a slightly older topic Eldest Gruff generated that had even more polish and meat to it and I transferred that one as well.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 10:19:14 PM by Serack »

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Suggest Topics Here!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:36:50 PM »
Not sure how the section will play out, but I do have some theories that could be put in the running (as I think it might be something that could be put to a vote).

Theory 1: Simon is Cowl & Kumori is Elaine.  I've heard enough variations on this one to know it pretty much by heart, but I couldnt direct you to the post that most personifies the theory, but I did find this one.

Theory 2: Headaches in Turncoat are a sign of mental manipulation.  I know the theory, but can't point you to a post the personifies it, or cite it in full, without a bit of research.

Theory 3: Demonreach & The Warden.  Basic theory is based off WOJ & Eb's notes. Gets into the idea that Kemmler used to be The Warden of the White Council & was former custodian of Demonreach.  I do know this one pretty well & could reconstruct it, but it isn't mine.  No clue, what post best personifies the theory.

Theory 4: Molly is Mab, Mab is Molly.  By Ms Duck.  Not sure what post best personifies it, but could be added for honorable mention, if nothing else.

Theory 5: Magical theory question.  An awesome thread in which how magic works is actively being discussed.  Still on the front page too.

Theory 6: Who crossed to Line in Dead Beat. Suggest add linkage to the recent post suggesting the scene with Malcolm was on Demonreach.

I do have my own theories I'm proud of, but I'm biased...

My Theory 1: Marci is a plant, best personified by a post called Did anyone notice Toto?  I could find it if necessary.

My Theory 2: My Icky Puppet Parts Theory, still on front page.  Basically a theory on how Snakeboy fooled the handshake, while in the form of Father Vincent.

As for how content gets added, maybe a vote gets cast on the top 10 theories.  Then, following this, maybe only 1-2 new posts get added per month.  Each with a nomination thread, which then becomes a vote.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:38:47 PM by KevinSig »

Offline Knight

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:47:10 AM »
actually,

Theory 3: Demonreach & The Warden.  Basic theory is based off WOJ & Eb's notes. Gets into the idea that Kemmler used to be The Warden of the White Council & was former custodian of Demonreach.  I do know this one pretty well & could reconstruct it, but it isn't mine.  No clue, what post best personifies the theory.

I could never find the theory that explained how Harry could be Kemmler reborn.  I find this one interesting and really want to get a look at it.  not to mention i never heard the second part, that kemmler might have been conected to DR

Theory 5: Magical theory question.  An awesome thread in which how magic works is actively being discussed.  Still on the front page too.

There are several ideas here that should be expanded on.  magic cirles, the diferances in magic (Harry's vs Faith vs Necro vs any others that we come up with)  the Way Knights Work, as i have seen a few threads on that.  More....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:52:01 AM by Knight »

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:33:57 AM »
I could never find the theory that explained how Harry could be Kemmler reborn.  I find this one interesting and really want to get a look at it.  not to mention i never heard the second part, that kemmler might have been conected to DR

I provide the most of the relevant WOJs on the theory in this post.  The post just prior, by Second Aristh.

Basically, it goes on the assumption that the position Eb was referencing in his diary, is that of The Warden.  Based on the fact that Jim talks about singular The Warden role, while he's talking about Demonreach.  Plus, he gives a smirk answer when asked if Harry can be a Warden, now that he's Winter Knight.

The Kemmler connection, is a bit more tenuous.  Basically, we assume The Warden position had to exist, but given that Demonreach has no custodian until Turn Coat, it seems likely there was something of a falling out with DR.  The Gatekeeper's comments, that he's had bad luck on DR, suggest it might be in his lifetime.

Kemmler being a likely candidate & a reason why The Gatekeeper would have found a need to visit the island previously. 

The theory also makes the assumption that Kemmler would have had to be part of the White Council at some point, in order to gain such skill.  I think Ghost Story at least connects the Corpstaker to being a former White Council member.  So it isn't impossible Kemmy did it first.

Given how long he confronted & eluded the WC, knowledge of its inner management seems likely. 

I've heard the notion of Harry being Kemmler being reborn, but I've never seen it written out with any justification, almost more like a statement of fact.  If I had to guess, it might have something to do with the plan Maggie tried to sell Eb on, mentioned in Changes.  Of course, I can't see Maggie getting excited about reincarnating Kemmler.  Maybe if Kemmy himself was a reincarnation of the original Merlin & while Lord Wraith wanted another Kemmler, Margaret wanted & got her new Merlin type.  Or a mix of Merlin & Kemmler, all thing depending.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:17:52 AM »
How about knnn and neurovore's theories about the events of PG? Jim himself even commented on the level of analysis, after all.

Offline FirstSelector

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:01:33 AM »
While it is not the most fleshed-out theory, I think the prospect that Maggie LeFay founded the Black Council is on to a really solid idea.

Ms. Duck's "Get out of Dead free" theory neatly ties up the rather confusing events in and between Small Favors and Ghost Story.

The PG Compendium has a bunch of useful theories.

Neurovore's claim that the Scarecrow in Arctis Tor was backed by Outsiders prompted Jim to ask if he was a CIA analyst.

knnn had some very interesting things to say about Small Favors, and really digs into understanding the events of that book.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »
While it is not the most fleshed-out theory, I think the prospect that Maggie LeFay founded the Black Council is on to a really solid idea.

Thanks :)  I eventually filled it out more, and made the Maggie LeFay and the Outsiders thread.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 02:31:49 PM »
I really liked Salacia's A Fallen scorned (GS spoilers) thread, suggesting that Lasciel began whispering to Harry during TC and continued through Changes, culminating in the infamous seven words.  In some of the later pages, I speculated that Nicodemus may have enabled Lasciel's whisper campaign after crawling out of Lake Michigan at the end of SmF; a summary of my theory is on page 5 of that thread here and my analysis of Lasciel's (possible) "tags" is on page 6 of that thread here.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »
Okay, kind of a long list, here goes:

Doylist analysis on LC fix timing
Black Council "Recruitment"
Catalogue of Harry's Nightmares (WIP)
Mouse's Origins
Missed subtleties from my fifth reread of Changes
White Court Magic-Users, Death Curses and Soulfire
Something about Harry
Uriel's long game? FM, DB, Ch, and GS (WIP)
WC vamp wizards
Lea and the Black Athame
Maeve did it.
PG: combining Neurovore and Knnn.
An evilish-Elaine theory in summary
Taking a closer look at Small Favor (LONG)
The case for Titania
Who recruited and trained Victor Sells?
Harry Dresden, Most Wanted
A Theory about Black Magic Corruption
THOUGHT EXERCISE Harry Dresden - a serial killer who targets schoolgirls

Oh, and a couple of mine that I'm fairly happy with:

Maggie LeFay and the Outsiders
Harry's Possessiveness

I couldn't remember very many theory threads that were still around, so I basically just opened the Topics posted list for a few dozen regular posters and looked for good theory threads they'd started. I found several that I'd read already and forgotten about, and several that I hadn't seen before. So this was a productive exercise. :)  I'm sure I've missed some good ones, though, especially any good theories that didn't have their own thread dedicated to them.

Not all of these are theory threads, though. Some of them are just collections of information which seem like they could be useful as reference materials in the future.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »
Nothing to contribute, just reveling in all y'all's brilliance.  So many fantastic ideas!

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
I added some thoughts to the OP.  Check them out, and if you have any ideas to contribute on how to go about the vetting process let us know.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:15:24 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 08:33:10 PM »
Ok, I've added pretty much everything in AA's post to the canidates index, or ported over some of the ones already locked.  Near the end I just put everything in the candidate list cause I am in a hurry.

Will revisit the other posts later, as well as a few topics that serve similar purposes from before the inception of the DFRC
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »
In this thread http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,32068.0.html I was trying a theory lost due to the servor crash.

By page 6 we had it:

Quote from:  a post by Unsurmontable
i think Ms. Duck's explanation makes the most sense.  We have WoJ that Erlking is only one of several beings that can call the wild hunt.  Given that this is also true outside the dresdenverse (in early mythology) and that in early mythology Odin is one of those beings that can call the Hunt, it's reasonable to assume Odin has that same power in the dresdenverse.  Add to that Erl's comment that he messes with those who messes with his hunt and you have a reasonable cause for Erl to mess with Odin's plans, (i.e. Marcone).  Add to that Erl's domain is on the other side of the FBI building and you now have a pretty solid case for it being Erl.  Plus the magical item here turns people into one of the greatest hunters known to human kind, that right in line with the way Erl likes it.
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 11:45:12 AM »
suggesting this topic on Ivy's origin
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 12:57:02 AM »
Considering you've a copy of the Dresden timeline here, I think having the thread on the Laws of Magic also merits to be put here.  (Although I think the title could be changed to mention that it outlines what the laws of magic are.)

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,488.0.html