Author Topic: Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?  (Read 56534 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Exploritory Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 01:31:29 AM »
It's also interesting because this meeting in DB is also where the Mort's haircut discrepancies arose that Serack mentioned earlier.  I bet someone could turn this into an awesome conspiracy theory.

I've proposed that there were three other necromancers running around in DB who didn't show up because time-travelling future Harry disposed of them (and had to do so once he found out they were there in order to make sure history happened the way he remembered it), if that counts.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Eleyctra

• Posty McPostington
  • A humble artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 03:56:53 AM »
Oh good, a discrepancy theory thread. I've been sitting on one for a while now that I didn't want to spend all on one thread post. It was pointed out to me by my IT Director at work (whom I have converted among many over to the Dresden Files  ;)), and he caught it in his first read-through. In my read-through to write this I found another discrepancy (I'll list it after).

In Storm Front, Harry is apparently living in a time warp. (Most likely a typo.)
-Wednesday night, Victor Sells (AKA The Shadowman) uses a ritual curse to kill Jennifer Stanton and Tommy Tomm.
-Bunch of investigating Thursday thru Saturday...
-Late Saturday night, the demon frog attacks and Linda Randall is dead. Harry is called into the scene a short few hours later.
-After leaving the crime scene Harry takes a walk and gets attacked by Gimpy Lawrence and loses some hair. But on Ch16, page 207, "I sort of sagged when he stopped hitting me, and he threw me to the ground. We were at a well-lit gas station, just before midnight on a Friday night, and anything he did was in full view of any cars going by."
-Later in Ch18, Harry walks out of a ruined Varsity after confronting Marcone, "So I walked. It was pretty stupid, in retrospect, walking around Chicago late on a Saturday night."

The other thing I caught on the re-through:
Ch17 page 214-215, "Then I walked back into the parking lot to consider exactly what I had at my disposal. A bracelet on each wrist. A ring. My blasting rod. My staff."

No Mother's amulet? This is the only time in the book and series he has two shield bracelets. Maybe he needed the extra foci at such an early stage in his career?
The written word stands between memory & oblivion.Without books as our anchors,we're cast adrift,neither teaching nor learning.They're windows on the past,mirrors on the present,& prisms reflecting possible futures.Books are lighthouses erected in the dark sea of time.
Jeffery Robbins-Gargoyles S2E4

Offline Duke Blue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 05:06:24 AM »
I've proposed that there were three other necromancers running around in DB who didn't show up because time-travelling future Harry disposed of them (and had to do so once he found out they were there in order to make sure history happened the way he remembered it), if that counts.

Your theory doesn't seem to address the ink spot or Mort's haircut.  However, if you work in a DeLorean then I think we can accept it.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
Oh good, a discrepancy theory thread. I've been sitting on one for a while now that I didn't want to spend all on one thread post. It was pointed out to me by my IT Director at work (whom I have converted among many over to the Dresden Files  ;)), and he caught it in his first read-through. In my read-through to write this I found another discrepancy (I'll list it after).

In Storm Front, Harry is apparently living in a time warp. (Most likely a typo.)
-Wednesday night, Victor Sells (AKA The Shadowman) uses a ritual curse to kill Jennifer Stanton and Tommy Tomm.
-Bunch of investigating Thursday thru Saturday...
-Late Saturday night, the demon frog attacks and Linda Randall is dead. Harry is called into the scene a short few hours later.
-After leaving the crime scene Harry takes a walk and gets attacked by Gimpy Lawrence and loses some hair. But on Ch16, page 207, "I sort of sagged when he stopped hitting me, and he threw me to the ground. We were at a well-lit gas station, just before midnight on a Friday night, and anything he did was in full view of any cars going by."
-Later in Ch18, Harry walks out of a ruined Varsity after confronting Marcone, "So I walked. It was pretty stupid, in retrospect, walking around Chicago late on a Saturday night."

Sounds like he goofed a little.  He was working several jobs, going to graduate school and helping with his young son when he wrote the first 3 books.  (all without getting a dime for them)

The other thing I caught on the re-through:
Ch17 page 214-215, "Then I walked back into the parking lot to consider exactly what I had at my disposal. A bracelet on each wrist. A ring. My blasting rod. My staff."

No Mother's amulet? This is the only time in the book and series he has two shield bracelets. Maybe he needed the extra foci at such an early stage in his career?

Interestingly enough, Harry used the end of his staff as a light source in SF instead of his amulet.  I think it was when the toad demon attacked and he retreated to his lab.  If I remember rightly though, the mysterious woman's hand brought his hand up to the amulet near the end of the book though.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline ImpishMortal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Ebon Gryphon Games
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
Here's a possible solution worth considering about the location discrepancy of Harry's office that Knnn pointed out: the bombs were placed beneath Harry's office. This would still satisfy them being "around" his office if they placed them for the entire length and breadth pointing up.

Also, I feel like there is something off with the events concerning Lydia in GP, but I can't determine what that is.

Offline Silkki

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »
Yeah, I'd say that the cemetery one is Mavra. But there's no reason for them to get a count of six when there are seven places.

One of the places is the forensic institute and Harry knew there was no necromancer there any longer. So counting that location as an apprentice would have been kinda foolish. If Harry had done necromany in the morning in his laboratory and it had lighted up as a spot, he still wouldn't have counted it as one extra necromancer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:25:28 AM by Silkki »

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »
One of the places is the forensic institute and Harry knew there was no necromancer there any longer.

How exactly can Harry rule out a different necromancer going there since he left ?

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline ImpishMortal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Ebon Gryphon Games
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »
How exactly can Harry rule out a different necromancer going there since he left ?

Maybe he can't, but why would another go there and also use necromancy?

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »
Maybe he can't, but why would another go there and also use necromancy?

We don't have a reason for why this might be the case, we just have ambiguous evidence that does not rule it out.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »
Honestly, I always thought that method of IDing the # of necromancers was shoddy.  I think too much emphasis was put on it in the blurb, and never really thought it was worth this much discussion.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Duke Blue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2012, 02:34:05 PM »
Honestly, I always thought that method of IDing the # of necromancers was shoddy.  I think too much emphasis was put on it in the blurb, and never really thought it was worth this much discussion.

You're probably right.  The main reason I always found that part interesting is because given that Jim is not one for extraneous details, you have to figure that he mapped out exactly what each of those necromancers did at each of those locations and had a reason for all of them.  Not to mention Lasciel's shadow screwing around with Harry's head the whole book induces a certain amount of paranoia.  I have never been able to shake the feeling that something weird was going on in Dead Beat which Harry wasn't catching on to.  Of course I get that feeling about most of the books.   ;D

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »

I kind of figured part of the point of getting the specifics of the method there was as an inspiration of Little Chicago, fwiw.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 06:12:34 PM »
Here's a possible solution worth considering about the location discrepancy of Harry's office that Knnn pointed out: the bombs were placed beneath Harry's office. This would still satisfy them being "around" his office if they placed them for the entire length and breadth pointing up.

It also says that the Rampire offices were on the ninth floor - five floors above Harry's office.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »

Also, I feel like there is something off with the events concerning Lydia in GP, but I can't determine what that is.
It also says that the Rampire offices were on the ninth floor - five floors above Harry's office.

Harry also said that they actually did the work in his office claiming it was something about asbestos removal or something.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 06:34:07 PM »
Oh, and another possible discrepancy:

Grave Peril pg 200:
"white for protection"

Proven Guity pg 155:
"blue for defense"
..."white for purity"

DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html