Author Topic: Item of Power: Faeblade  (Read 6860 times)

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Item of Power: Faeblade
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 03:01:43 AM »
While I like the effect, the downside, to me, is that it won't be giving you much of a benefit is you happen to stumble into something big and nasty, unless you've killed something earlier that day. But I assume it's going to be a rare occurance that you run into the boss without killing some mooks

On a different note, what about the other swords?

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 03:11:40 AM »
They're in rough form.  For whatever reason Harvest was the first and easiest for me to polish and post.  I'll put them up as soon as I'm finished.  They're all along a similar theme to Harvest - the Winter sword was the roughest.
Some people call me morally bankrupt.  I like think of myself as free-spirited . . . and morally bankrupt.

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 03:27:10 AM »
They just give different boosts?

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 03:56:11 AM »
Different abilities/advantages - all under the same template/format.  Here are the original version of all four blades:

Harvest [-2]
Description: With a textured grip and a slender, curving blade, this weapon resembles nothing so much as a giant predator's talon.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
Skills Affected: Weapons
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Borne by the Autumn Knight before that Courts fall, this blade is rumored to possess a small part of his essence.  It seeks to carry out the last command given by the King of Autumn.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a sword (Weapon 3). The pointy end goes in to the other person.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+2] One-Time Discount. It's a sword.  It gets noticed.
[-1] Vengeance. When used against a member of the Winter Court, this blade treats any Toughness powers as being one level lower.
[-3] Autumns Bounty. Just as autumn is a time of harvest, so does this blade grant the power of it's grim harvest to it's bearer. When an opponent is slain with Harvest, the bearer can spend one fate point to pull the power of the victim's feeling spirit to him, granting him Inhuman Strength, Speed, or Recovery (the Catch is Cold Iron) until the next sunrise.

Everthorn [-2]
Description: A blade of the Nevernever, one of the last relics of the fallen Spring Court. It seems to have been grown as much as forged.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Used by a Scion of Spring to exact vengeance upon the Summer Court for their betrayal.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a sword (Weapon 3). The pointy end goes in to the other person.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[-1] Vengeance. When used against a member of the Summer Court, this blade treats any Toughness powers as being one level lower.
[-3] Bringer of Change. As in spring when life emerges anew, so too may the bearer of Everthorn be renewed.  The bearer may spend a fate point to take the appearance (as Mimic Form) of anyone he has slain with Everthorn since the previous sunrise.  Once done, he may shift between his natural form and the imitated form as a free action, sloughing off any existing stress.  This may be done once per combat until the next sunrise.

Bleakfang [-2]
Description: With a hilt of frigid gold and a blade of ice as black as night, this blade seems to steal away the warmth and light around it.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. To enforce the will of Queen Mab and Lady Maeve.  The sword hungers to destroy Flameheart.
[-1] Vendetta. When used against a member of the Summer Court, this blade treats any Toughness powers as being one level lower.
[-3] Heart of Ice. As the bitter chill of winter numbs the body, so too can it numb the soul.  The bearer of Bleakfang may spend a fate point to harden his heart against those who would pull it's strings. The bearer becomes immune to Domination, Incite Emotion, Emotional Vampire, Addictive Saliva and other abilities that manipulate emotional states.  If he is under such effects when he activates this power, they are immediately purged.  This lasts until the next sunrise.

Flameheart [-2]
Description: Shining from within with it's own light, this blade seems to flicker and dance as it's namesake.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Created to counter the icy power of Bleakfang, Fireheart burns with consuming and cleansing power.
[-1] Vendetta. When used against a member of the Winter Court, this blade treats any Toughness powers as being one level lower.
[-3] Mirage. Just as heat and light can play tricks on the eyes and mind, so too can you bring these effects to bear for your advantage.  By spending a fate point, the bearer of Flameheart gains the ability to use Greater Glamours until the next sunrise.  Treat these as the power. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:20:19 AM by CBIrish »
Some people call me morally bankrupt.  I like think of myself as free-spirited . . . and morally bankrupt.

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 04:31:42 AM »
Did you intend for the Spring one to be infinite heals for the day?

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 11:21:07 AM »
As I said: rough, and I never know with unique/custom abilities.

I edited it - see how that works.

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »
Did you intend for the Spring one to be infinite heals for the day?

Yeah, this seems like it could be a little too powerful to me. I'd suggest restricting it in some way.

Off the top of my head I'd make it so that each killing/fate point can only be used for 1 change and reversion to normal, with the stored 'image' of the individual being discharged when the bearer reverts to his normal form.
Otherwise I'd require a fate point expenditure for each subsequent change after the first to limit the number of changes the character can manage per day.

As an aside I'd make it so that the victim/stored image doesn't have to be killed by the blade, just injured by it (thus queuing up "This guy's an imposter", "No, He's the imposter!" hijinks later on)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 04:15:14 PM »
Better, but the custom powers need work.

Personally, I suggest ditching the FP costs. They add nothing that I can see.

Then rebalance the powers according to their lack of a FP cost.

If you want, I can do this for you.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »
Autumn's bounty is underpowered. It costs 3 refresh, 1 fate point, and a specific circumstance to achieve what someone else can with 2 refresh (or 1 for recovery).

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 08:03:25 PM »
But, I would imagine that you could stack all three by killing 3 beings

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 09:00:20 PM »
That should be less ambiguous then.

I'm still not sure about the cost though. Then it's 3 refresh, 3 fate points, and an even more specific circumstance to achieve what one can with 5 refresh. Heck, if I have a sponsor I can likely do that whole thing (albeit with a shorter duration) for 5 fate points.

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 10:44:46 PM »
A better idea would probably be just one fate point to "activate" it, and then it stays active until the next sunrise