Author Topic: Item of Power: Faeblade  (Read 6911 times)

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
Item of Power: Faeblade
« on: March 26, 2012, 02:23:17 AM »
Faeblade [-5]
Description: One of several swords carried by members of the Courts of Faerie. Each is unique in appearance but shows traits of the Court it is bound to.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
Skills Affected: Weapons
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Granted by the ruler of each Court to chosen members, it is meant to defend the Court and it's interests.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a sword. The pointy end goes in to the other person.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+2] One-Time Discount. It's a sword.  It gets noticed.
[-2] Glamours. As the power.
[-4] Sponsored Magic. So long as the blade is in the bearer's possession, they have access to the Sponsored Magic of their Court.
[-1] To me! Should the sword and bearer be separated, the bearer may call the blade to him through the Nevernever as a standard action. Only the will of ruler of the Court or the total encasement of the blade in cold iron can prevent this. Should the blade be so encased, the bearer may sense it's direction and distance from him so long as the blade is not reclaimed by the Court.

This my first attempt at an IoP and I didn't see any similar items on the list.  Thoughts? Suggestions?
Some people call me morally bankrupt.  I like think of myself as free-spirited . . . and morally bankrupt.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Item of Power: Faeblade
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 02:43:27 AM »
[-0] Purpose. Granted by the ruler of each Court to chosen members, it is meant to defend the Court and it's interests.

[snip>

This my first attempt at an IoP and I didn't see any similar items on the list.  Thoughts? Suggestions?
A couple of comments - first, the purpose is rather generic...at least partially because the fae courts don't have as much documentation as the White God (comparing to Sword of the Cross' purpose).  As for the powers themselves...Glamours and Sponsored Magic don't really seem to fit a sword.  At least not without some additional history thrown in.  As for "To Me!"...

[-1] To me! Should the sword and bearer be separated, the bearer may call the blade to him through the Nevernever as a standard action. Only the will of ruler of the Court or the total encasement of the blade in cold iron can prevent this. Should the blade be so encased, the bearer may sense it's direction and distance from him so long as the blade is not reclaimed by the Court.
Since this power is tied to the item but is only useful when the owner doesn't have the item, I don't see it working.  If it does work through some house rule, I wouldn't give the sword a +2 item rebate.  You no longer need to carry it with you - and the awkwardness of doing so is why you get the rebate.
-----
Backing up a bit, what is your intent?  I'd suggest modifying it to items like a Staff of Growth for Summer and an Ice Blade for Winter - adding specific abilities to match.  Something tailored to the court, purpose, and powers rather than a generic weapon.  Just my opinion of course.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:37:23 AM »
Fair enough.  I originally wanted to keep them general so that they could be tailored to any given game, but I had given some thought to Court-specific blades.  See how these tickle your fancy.

Everthorn [-3]
Description: A blade of the Nevernever, one of the last relics of the fallen Spring Court. It seems to have been grown as much as forged.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Used by a Scion of Spring to exact vengeance upon the Summer and Winter Courts for their betrayal.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a sword. The pointy end goes in to the other person.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[-2] Inhuman Speed. As the power (should the bearer already possess this power, treat it as one level higher)
[-2] Inhuman Strength. As the power (should the bearer already possess this power, treat it as one level higher)
[-1] Vengeance. When used against a member of the Summer or Winter Courts, this blade counts as satisfying their Catch for any Toughness powers.

Bleakfang [-3]
Description: With a hilt of frigid gold and a blade of ice as black as night, this blade seems to steal away the warmth and light around it.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. To enforce the will of Queen Mab and Lady Maeve.  The sword hungers to destroy Fireheart.
[-2] Inhuman Toughness. As the power (should the bearer already possess this power, treat it as one level higher). The Catch is cold iron.
[-2] Inhuman Strength. As the power (should the bearer already possess this power, treat it as one level higher).
[-1] Vendetta. When used against a member of the Summer Court, this blade counts as satisfying their Catch for any Toughness powers.

Harvest [-3]
Description: Ever keen and ready to be used, this blade seems to tremble with anticipation.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Borne by the Autumn Knight before that Courts fall, this blade is rumored to possess a small part of his essence.  It seeks to carry out the last command given by the King of Autumn.
[-2] Inhuman Recovery. As the power (should the bearer already possess this power, treat it as one level higher). The Catch is cold iron.
[-2] Inhuman Strength. As the power (should the bearer already possess this power, treat it as one level higher).
[-1] Vengeance. When used against a member of the Summer or Winter Courts, this blade counts as satisfying their Catch for any Toughness powers.

Fireheart [-3]
Description: Shining from within with it's own light, this blade seems to flicker and dance as it's namesake.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Created to counter the icy power of Bleakfang, Fireheart burns with consuming and cleansing power.
[-2] Inhuman Toughness. As the power (should the bearer already possess this power, treat it as one level higher). The Catch is cold iron.
[-1] Vendetta. When used against a member of the Winter Court, this blade counts as satisfying their Catch for any Toughness powers.

I wasn't sure how to much to make Vengeance/Vendetta cost, but given the very specific circumstances, -1 seemed appropriate.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:53:53 AM by CBIrish »
Some people call me morally bankrupt.  I like think of myself as free-spirited . . . and morally bankrupt.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:29:41 AM »

You might want to include a weapon value in here, as swords can have a weapon value anywhere from 1 to 3.

I wasn't sure how to much to make Vengeance/Vendetta cost, but given the very specific circumstances, -1 seemed appropriate.

Personally I would cost it higher. Anyone who has one of these is likely to encounter those circumstances near constantly.

I would also not have a problem with any item granting sponsored magic or glamours if it fits the power source. In that case the item is acting as a link to the being granting those powers, rather than the powers being a result of the item.

Offline Zorthrip

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:25:47 AM »
You could make Vendetta or Vengeance cost a Fate Point per scene in order keep the cost lower.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 04:04:27 PM »
Even then, "All creatures are equal before god" is considered to cost 3 refresh.

Then again, Seelie magic has the same thing and only costs one additional refresh.

...I don't know anymore.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 05:30:48 PM »
You get the same benefit of Vendetta by just coating your blade in iron filings.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 05:32:22 PM »
You get the same benefit of Vendetta by just coating your blade in iron filings.
Or just having an iron (or iron alloy) sword.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 06:06:28 PM »
One refresh looks about right for Vendetta.  I like the specific swords better than the generic also.  :-)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 10:03:43 PM »
I suggest you model Vendetta after Holy Touch.

Also, what are the Catches on the Toughness powers?

PS: Mind if I add these to the master list?

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 12:11:35 AM »
I didn't see an entry in YS for Holy Touch - is it elsewhere?

I considered using All Creatures Equal Before God as a template, but since the Vengeance/Vendetta ability only applies to members of certain Courts and only to those that have Toughness powers (and there's no specific cost break down for that ability) it didn't seem appropriate to use the fate point cost.  Given how many creatures/spellcasters/mortals with guns there are out there it seemed reasonable to work it in as is.

The point about the weapon rating is a good thought, I'll add that and repost.

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 12:20:08 AM »
Everthorn [-3]
Description: A blade of the Nevernever, one of the last relics of the fallen Spring Court. It seems to have been grown as much as forged.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Used by a Scion of Spring to exact vengeance upon the Summer and Winter Courts for their betrayal.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a Weapon 3 sword. The pointy end goes in to the other person.
[-2] Inhuman Speed. As the power (should the bearer already possess this power, treat it as one level higher)
[-2] Inhuman Strength. As the power (should the bearer already possess this power, treat it as one level higher)

Bleakfang [-3]
Description: With a hilt of frigid gold and a blade of ice as black as night, this blade seems to steal away the warmth and light around it.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. To enforce the will of Queen Mab and Lady Maeve.  The sword hungers to destroy Fireheart.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a Weapon 3 sword. The pointy end goes in to the other person.
[-2] Inhuman Toughness. As the power (should the bearer already possess this power, treat it as one level higher).
[-1] Vendetta. When used against a member of the Summer Court, this blade counts as satisfying their Catch for any Toughness powers.

Harvest [-3]
Description: Ever keen and ready to be used, this blade seems to tremble with anticipation.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Borne by the Autumn Knight before that Courts fall, this blade is rumored to possess a small part of his essence.  It seeks to carry out the last command given by the King of Autumn.
[-2] Inhuman Recovery. As the power (should the bearer already possess this power, treat it as one level higher).

Fireheart [-3]
Description: Shining from within with it's own light, this blade seems to flicker and dance as it's namesake.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Created to counter the icy power of Bleakfang, Fireheart burns with consuming and cleansing power.
[-2] Inhuman Toughness. As the power (should the bearer already possess this power, treat it as one level higher).
[-1] Vendetta. When used against a member of the Winter Court, this blade counts as satisfying their Catch for any Toughness powers.

And, yes, Sanct - you can yoink them for the list.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 02:08:31 AM »
I didn't see an entry in YS for Holy Touch - is it elsewhere?

It's the first power on YS188.

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 03:12:12 AM »
Thanks, Sinker.

I see what is meant about Holy Touch, but it veers too far from what I had in mind.

Good suggestion though - it's really the only non-Sponsored power that can do that.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »
What's wrong with Holy Touch?

And what's the Catch?