Author Topic: Working out a new Spirit Rote for attacking discorporate beings  (Read 4551 times)

Offline Shriketastic

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Working out a new rote for a Sorceror character.

Was thinking of it being a Spirit Evoc spell, damage dealing, single target, but *only to a disembodied spirit/ghost, or to the spirit/ghost that is possessing/inhabiting a body*, not to the Host's body, or to any non-disembodied supernatural.

For example:

Sorc A uses this rote on a visible ghost. It deals damage.

Sorc A uses this rote on a person being possessed by a ghost. The spell deals damage to the possessing spirit, but NOT to the host body.

Sorc A uses this rote on a Sidhe warrior. It does nothing.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Working out a new Spirit Rote for attacking discorporate beings
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »
Okay.

Are you looking for help?

I wouldn't let Evocation do this in one of my games, but it's kind of a matter of taste.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »
I don't know, Sanctaphrax... making a spell that only effects certain kinds of beings seems fairly reasonable.  Especially targetting ghosts with the spirit element.

The question is: how to handle it mechanically...?
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 07:27:10 PM »
I'd say "depends on the wizard". If you come from Morty's end and see spirit as the ghostly element, then I'd allow it, absolutely. If he is coming from Harry's spirit is pure force angle, then no, I would not allow it. Basically invoking the wizards blind spot as suggested in box in YS.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Shriketastic

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
My character (as a Shaman) views Spirit as "Raw Magical/Spiritual energy/manipulation". If you've played or read the White Wolf mage games, something like Prime.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 02:07:32 AM »
The question is: how to handle it mechanically...?

It's not actually tough. You're still dealing stress (perhaps mental to represent an attack at the core of their being). I would probably deal with it in the take out result.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 12:10:59 PM »
It's not actually tough. You're still dealing stress (perhaps mental to represent an attack at the core of their being). I would probably deal with it in the take out result.

So, you'd take out the human vessel and the spirit joyrider and then rule that the human is unconscious but unharmed, the spirit is dead or shunted to the NN?  Simple solution.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »
So, you'd take out the human vessel and the spirit joyrider and then rule that the human is unconscious but unharmed, the spirit is dead or shunted to the NN?  Simple solution.

I don't really see them as two distinct beings. Or at least I don't see the human vessel as important. You're fighting the possessing entity, not the vessel. It's the spirit that has a stake in the conflict, whose goals you are opposing. Unless the vessel is willing and working with the possessor, then it gets interesting. Then I would think that there would be two distinct stress tracks and you would have to take them out individually.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »
I feel that the majority of the dissent against such a concept has to do with the following:

Dealing with a possessing spirit in an innocent human host faces three key complications:
1) how to do expel or destroy the spirit without hurting the host (we hope); and
2) how to make sure that the spirit is gone for good, and doesn't just find someone else to possess;
3) how to do it without risk to oneself (spoiler alert: didn't work too well in "The Exorcist).

When something magically (ha ha!) deals with all of these complications at the same time, it feels like a shortcut, or a cheat. The drama we've come to expect from movies like "The Exorcist" gets changed to a magical duck hunt with no consequences for poor target choice. Maybe I speak for myself on this.

But maybe that's the game a table wants to play. Individual games are free to shortcut or handwave any element of a game that they feel is dragging the pace without a return on entertainment. In a post-zombie-apocalypse game in which the zombie flavor is "possessed by demons," having a gut-wrenching exorcism for each member of 99.99% of the shambling hordes of humanity would be completely unfeasible, and likely futile. In this case, an "exorcism gun" becomes a prop or tool, not a magical plot shortcut.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:02:18 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 07:05:04 PM »
Except we don't have a magical exorcism gun here. It's still a conflict. One still has to wear the entity down by inflicting stress over several rounds. One may take damage as the entity fights back. I just don't think that it matters which stress track, or how they're taken out, so long as the table approves.

If the table feels that the final result is weak (and of course the GM is part of the table) then they can say so and work towards a better option. If the player takes a spirit out and says "The spirit dissipates, never to be seen again." The GM can still say "Hmm, I don't think that's ideal. How about it just leaves the host?" Or any number of other things.

Just because we allow a narrative option, doesn't mean that the drama is any less.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 10:44:12 PM »
I dislike this for three reasons:

1. Evocation is generally supposed to be really simple. This isn't.
2. You're totally negating Physical Immunity for free.
3. Selective targeting for Evocation is really dangerous ground.

Anyway...what exactly are you looking for here? I'm providing opinions on whether it ought to be possible, but for all I know you just want advice on how to do it.

So, please, tell us the purpose of this thread.

Offline ConquerYourWorld

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 03:54:53 AM »
Shriketastic's GM here.

He came to me last night with the idea for making a rote for this purpose, and I just wasn't sure of how to adjudicate it, so I asked him to post a thread about it here, to get your input.  Perhaps I should have just posted the thread myself.

After reading the input, I'm definitely coming to the conclusion that targeting just the spirit would be outside the realm of Evocation, which is kinda where I was leaning to begin with.  Thank you for the input.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 06:15:27 AM »
I think that in a not all wizard game, the GM has to clamp down pretty hard on magic being the omni tool to short cut through all problems.

One way to do this is to say that magic is capable of doing X, but most wizards haven't practiced it enough to do it well.  If you want to be one of the people who has practiced enough, take a stunt or power expansion (or spend a fate point for a temporary power expansion).

So, for example, can you fly with magic?  Harry indicates that it's not really a matter of having enough power to fly around, but much more a matter of having and keeping enough control to avoid becoming ground pizza that's the problem.  So, want to be a wizard character to flys around with magic?  Take the wings power, and say you are flying around with evocation instead.  Or spend a fate point for temporary access to 'wings' and use 'evocation' to fly around for a little while, then embarrassingly fall out of the sky at the end, to show it's not really something you can do all the time.

Offline RevengeofTim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 03:27:19 AM »
I might allow it with;

1) A penalty to targeting
2) A special focus, infused with ghost dust.
3) Only useable against free spirits, not people who are possessed.

Offline Anher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 12:22:44 AM »
This would seem to me to be a case where Thaumaturgy would work well for the application in mind over Evocation. It would require more footwork and would certainly make for more interesting game play as the player hunts down pieces for the ritual which could be anything from ghost dust to a bone from the corpse of the ghost (assuming that's available, or said spirit had a human body at some point).