Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 128268 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #735 on: September 21, 2012, 12:58:53 PM »
ssss-push it... push it real good!

You, sir, are making me feel tired just reading along.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #736 on: September 21, 2012, 03:11:51 PM »
Sorry about the Hiatus,

Finished the engine (steam powered aviation one each) took it to world con,

We got back and finished "Fire on the Rio Grande" and got it to a beta reader, good comments back, looks like one or two more passes before we can turn it in.

Received a request to assemble all the short stories about one of our character sets in to a short novel, plus some new content, to go in to a new publishing venue, that means about 12 K of new writing to be done. Fortunately it is all ready plotted and outlined. We just need to get it done and edited before Nov....

Back to the salt mines,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #737 on: September 21, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »
You, sir, are making me feel tired just reading along.

I hope its from my word count and not my snappy little asides as I update you guys  ;D

As it is I'm only really able to put out 5k on one of my two free days off work.  And 1k is about what I can manage after work, although sometimes I get on a roll and go as high as 2.5k.  Frankly I'm insanely jealous of Chris Nuttal, 9k a day as your daily target????  Jeeze luise, and I thought 5k was toppers!  I'm feeling totally inadequate over here.

Anyway gots to run, the day job is calling me!

have a blast and remember to always follow the dream!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 21, 2012, 08:12:43 PM »
Hit a boggy spot myself this last week or so, didn't realize it but I'm now in The Great Swampy Middle.  The up side is that's forcing me to finally define my First Tier Antagonist. 

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 21, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »
I HATE/LOATHE/DESPISE the Great Swampy Middle.  Good luck.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 21, 2012, 08:24:15 PM »
The problem is that at this point in the overall arc, the primary conflict is Vs Environment and just the earliest rumblings of Vs Other Faction.  But the way things are filling out, I'm looking at at least 2 books for the "whole story."  And people like having an Antagonist, so I'm essentially having to cook one up to put a face to the initial civil and comparatively low level conflict.  Plus, I suppose it'll be good for the builduop to the "Oh, shit, now it's on!" events later. 

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 21, 2012, 08:25:30 PM »
^
Yup, what you said.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 23, 2012, 04:26:47 AM »
After all the kerfuffle with moving my writing to a different computer, and the moaning about the very small amount of stuff that did not make it intact off either backup, I sat down thinking I had one evening's quick polish to do on the prequel to TISBWO and then it would be ready to go out.

I pulled the wrong thread, bugger it, and followed the logical consequences.  I'm now going through the whole thing from the beginning again with the intent of cutting three more chapters of stuff. It will make for a tighter and better book but I thought I'd just got through with that.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 23, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Had a breakthrough at Oh My God Thirty Hours this morning.  Which is why I'm up now.  After my intro, the story has focused on things coming to or happening around my protagonist.  Given her station and the nature of the first event, stuff pretty much had to go that way, as her own community and surrounding communities needed a chance to react to what she'd done.

Problem was Moving The Story Forward in a way that was Her Doing Stuff In Pursuit Of Goals.  That's how you reach obstacles, not-so-victorious victories, setbacks, and all that good stuff, after all.  Was talking it over with one of my Beta Monkeys last night who'd helped me put my finger on a few things that weren't clicking and ticking, and after percolating all night (while suffering through a dozing dream-arc that could only be described as "When Honey Boo-Boo Attacks", I came up with meaningful actions for her to take that would carry the story forward.  (Yeah, forward, deeper into the Swampy Middle. :)  )

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 23, 2012, 08:08:56 PM »
^
Iz good.  Excelsior as they say. ::)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #745 on: September 23, 2012, 10:31:09 PM »

Que Star Wars Music

Butt first into hull!

Trouble in Paradise.

Grease Monkey!

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:52:37 AM by The Deposed King »

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 23, 2012, 10:53:20 PM »
Made it to 170k today.  Slow, plodding progress.  Still working on the climax, and realized I need to explain a little more about "how things work" to the reader in a prior scene in order to get the climax to work.  May need to add another scene earlier in the book to prevent the horrible "mind dump" of explaining things all at once.

I think that is one of the greatest challenges in world building.  How do you do it without creating a rant of 50 pages like John Galt's scene at the end of "Atlas Shrugged"?
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - D. Vader

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 24, 2012, 12:59:52 AM »
Made it to 170k today.  Slow, plodding progress.  Still working on the climax, and realized I need to explain a little more about "how things work" to the reader in a prior scene in order to get the climax to work.  May need to add another scene earlier in the book to prevent the horrible "mind dump" of explaining things all at once.

I think that is one of the greatest challenges in world building.  How do you do it without creating a rant of 50 pages like John Galt's scene at the end of "Atlas Shrugged"?

Clues along the way.  Think of your three-paragraph explanation of what's happened, then think what it implies as a little detail in daily life, and put that in; repeat until all the data are set up. 

Offline drewavera

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 25, 2012, 04:51:22 PM »
4 chapters typed up in the first draft, 3 more already written. once all the typing is done ill continue with the writing. i think i have about 6-7000 words typed so far
Self published sci fi author. Read my indie author interviews at www.drewavera.wordpress.com

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #749 on: September 27, 2012, 03:57:02 PM »
for the first time in over a week i got to right fiction
stupid 1000+ history assays

20 words to day
;D and might do more in a bit

good luck everyone