Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 129402 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #750 on: September 27, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
I hope its from my word count and not my snappy little asides as I update you guys  ;D

Sorry i didn't notice this until today; I meant the first, not the second, and I hope it did not read at all unfriendly.

As it is I'm only really able to put out 5k on one of my two free days off work.  And 1k is about what I can manage after work, although sometimes I get on a roll and go as high as 2.5k.  Frankly I'm insanely jealous of Chris Nuttal, 9k a day as your daily target????  Jeeze luise, and I thought 5k was toppers!  I'm feeling totally inadequate over here.

I am totally happy on days when I get 2kwords, and very happy with days when I get 4k.  (And _so_ looking forward to a point when I am writing anew again, i miss that.)

My personal record is 14.5k in 24 hours a few years back, and 45kwords in eight or nine days when I was between jobs two years ago (which was the second half of a novel.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #751 on: September 27, 2012, 08:24:30 PM »
Sorry i didn't notice this until today; I meant the first, not the second, and I hope it did not read at all unfriendly.

I am totally happy on days when I get 2kwords, and very happy with days when I get 4k.  (And _so_ looking forward to a point when I am writing anew again, i miss that.)

My personal record is 14.5k in 24 hours a few years back, and 45kwords in eight or nine days when I was between jobs two years ago (which was the second half of a novel.)

Just a sly little aside.  Or at least an attempt at one, Neuro.  No worries!

Sounds like you can get it cooking when you're on!  Hope you get back to it soon!  The brother really saves me from the dreaded red pen.  I only have to take 1-2 weeks of my time, days off etc, to hammer on edits, the rest I get to spend on forward progress!

The Deposed King

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 27, 2012, 08:30:49 PM »
Sounds like you can get it cooking when you're on!  Hope you get back to it soon!

When the edits are asked for by interested professionals, it seems important to prioritise them. OTOH, staying sane is also a priority.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 27, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »
I find that the Dialect/Voice edit is looming over the project like an angry, sullen and vengeful god.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 28, 2012, 12:50:12 AM »
I've been rereading a fair bit of Clive Barker  recently - late 80s/early 90s Barker, when he was writing bestselling 700-1000 page fantasy novels, which I've not reread in a while, and they make me rethink some of what I am currently working on - I may be overdoing the trying to make things taut, because these books are reminding me of how effective a digressive prose style can be if done well, and they were pretty successful commercially too.

o_O

« Reply #755 on: September 28, 2012, 02:25:49 AM »
because these books are reminding me of how effective a digressive prose style can be if done well, and they were pretty successful commercially too.

in an era that brought us, oh, Clan of the Cave Bear

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 28, 2012, 02:45:18 AM »
Wasn't that the one where Cuddles Bear taught Grumpy Bear about the healing power of love?

Oh. 

Wait.  That was *insert 80's feel good teen drama here.*

God.  Now I want to watch the Breakfast Club.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #757 on: September 28, 2012, 06:25:11 AM »
well done everyone

well last night i got 20 more words
so yesterday i got 40 words total
unfortunetly i have a 1000 word assay for history to write due wednesday so i will be doing no more till thats handed in

good luck i hope to get more writting done enext weekend

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 28, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »
in an era that brought us, oh, Clan of the Cave Bear

That would be why I specified "done well".

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 28, 2012, 12:11:06 PM »
God.  Now I want to watch the Breakfast Club.

Now there's an example of something I admire a lot without finding sympathetic.  (Pretty much everyone I am close to, regardless of gender, identifies with the Anthony Michael Head character, and being the nerd who doesn't get paired up at the end is a bit of a downer.) I think my primary appreciation of John Hughes is for the things that feel to me like responses to his work (Heathers, Grosse Pointe Blank, bits of Kevin Smith) rather than the work itself.

o_O

« Reply #760 on: September 28, 2012, 02:12:19 PM »
That would be why I specified "done well".

Indeed, but the correlation of done well(digressive prose) with commercial success is, ah, weak.     

o_O

« Reply #761 on: September 28, 2012, 02:19:32 PM »
Now there's an example of something I admire a lot without finding sympathetic.  (Pretty much everyone I am close to, regardless of gender, identifies with the Anthony Michael Head character, and being the nerd who doesn't get paired up at the end is a bit of a downer.)

You don't think his being paired up at the end would smack too much of Paulo Coelho-type determinate optimism?   Granted, the 80s weren't self-critical enough for this to occur to the character in-story.

Offline Crazed

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 28, 2012, 03:06:54 PM »
I have hit the swampiest patch of swamp I have ever encountered.  One thing after another this week that has pulled my brain in 600 different directions.  Last week was great with full quota for writing, but this week has been one ordeal after another. 

I read how some of the awe-inspiring authors craft 4k at a time and I want to butt my head against the wall as I wallow here in the Great Swamp.

And I still have not even watched Avengers!  I will hold out on that until I get caught up.  Hoping that treat will push me forward again.  Writing here alos helps, because I can get my literary pump flowing.

Alright, enough venting. Goal today is to push to 82k on novel.
I reject your reality and assert my own!

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 28, 2012, 03:54:01 PM »
You don't think his being paired up at the end would smack too much of Paulo Coelho-type determinate optimism?   Granted, the 80s weren't self-critical enough for this to occur to the character in-story.

I don't honestly know.  I'm not in the best of positions to assess potential sample bias in the sample of people I know well who were nerdy in high school and have positive sex lives since, what with being part of said sex lives in a probably statistically relevant fraction thereof.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 28, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
Since discovering I type faster on my tablet(Video game thumbs versus hunt and peck typing due to bad fine motor control in most of my fingers) I've gotten SO MUCH writing done.  My thumbs are slowly increasing in girth though...