Author Topic: World Domination of Course!!!  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
World Domination of Course!!!
« on: January 31, 2012, 06:25:38 AM »
Wow I have not been here in a while, glad to see its all working again.

So I am finally in a situation in my life where I can be comfortable putting more focus on my writing. I started work on a short story that has been kicking around in my head for years.

Back in collage me and my friends would often discuss how we would take over the world and rule it, as one does. For some reason mine was often the favored concept though it was the least realistic. Over time this idea has developed and mutated into what I would call and interesting story idea.

Basically, without giving any details away, the story is about the fall of the old world to something new starting out with America and eventually spreading across the world. An invading force of superior technology and devotion declares a war of conquest on the whole of the world, and is winning. The story will be some what similar to World War Z in how it was narrated. It will be divided up into sections from different peoples point of view through the conquest. The view points will be from both sides of the conflict, and there will also be parts that are suppose to be journal entries of the commander of the invading force.

Now so things I want to get out of the way. The invading force is not alien in nature though it surpasses the vast majority of the earth forces. This is not a war of annihilation but of mental conquest. The invading force is doing a lot of undermine the integrity of its enemies so that its citizens willingly join their cause. As such the invaders use a lot of fear tactics and maneuvers that are devastating but cause almost no collateral damage.

The forces of this invasion are fanatically loyal to their cause and very very well trained.

If you have any questions, comments or critiques pleas post them below.

Good to be back.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:55:05 AM by Nickeris86 »
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: World Domination of Course!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 03:22:34 AM »
Wow I have not been here in a while, glad to see its all working again.

So I am finally in a situation in my life where I can be comfortable putting more focus on my writing. I started work on a short story that has been kicking around in my head for years.

Back in collage me and my friends would often discuss how we would take over the world and rule it, as one does. For some reason mine was often the favored concept though it was the least realistic. Over time this idea has developed and mutated into what I would call and interesting story idea.

Basically, without giving any details away, the story is about the fall of the old world to something new starting out with America and eventually spreading across the world. An invading force of superior technology and devotion declares a war of conquest on the whole of the world, and is winning. The story will be some what similar to World War Z in how it was narrated. It will be divided up into sections from different peoples point of view through the conquest. The view points will be from both sides of the conflict, and there will also be parts that are suppose to be journal entries of the commander of the invading force.

Now so things I want to get out of the way. The invading force is not alien in nature though it surpasses the vast majority of the earth forces. This is not a war of annihilation but of mental conquest. The invading force is doing a lot of undermine the integrity of its enemies so that its citizens willingly join their cause. As such the invaders use a lot of fear tactics and maneuvers that are devastating but cause almost no collateral damage.

The forces of this invasion are fanatically loyal to their cause and very very well trained.

If you have any questions, comments or critiques pleas post them below.

Good to be back.

Not sure how much I can help you but I thought of you when I saw this.

Saw it on a post from someone who got it from someone else.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 05:45:35 AM »
NO WEIRDOS? I guess that counts me out.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 05:47:56 AM »
lol
i would nut hum i alrady have enuth to do  :)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »
Economic:  They've the wealth to buy influence and dominate the media to spread propaganda.  Buying banks and industry so they can leverage whole cities and politicians.  Like the DeBiers diamond cartel:  They can outspend and financially bury anyone who won't play ball.

Technological:  They've got a hammerlock on something new and wonderful that everyone simply feels they must have.  Cheap but advanced energy/gas alternatives, nanotech miracle medicines.... great stuff, infrastructure comes to depend on that technology, which can only be obtained by staying in their good graces. 

As the old saying goes, "By gifts one makes slaves, and by whips one makes dogs."

Cultural: Getting in on the ground floor, and coming to dominate education, entertainment and/or religion.  Ideally, overlaping, coordinated projects that might seem unrelated but subtley reinforce support for whatever ideology puts people in the pocket, makes them want to be there, but it's something that would have to have been simmering for a generation or two without some plot device.  Mix in (manufactured) trends and fads?  Text 382991 to decide who makes it to next season!

Combine all three, and you've got both the the physical tools for domination as well as the means to instill the fanatical loyalty.  No single element would be enough to guarantee success, but if all 3 are addressed, you've got the potential for a global movement, or at least domination of enough countries to have the military means and will to conquer the rest. 

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 02:37:23 PM »
Economic:  They've the wealth to buy influence and dominate the media to spread propaganda.  Buying banks and industry so they can leverage whole cities and politicians.  Like the DeBiers diamond cartel:  They can outspend and financially bury anyone who won't play ball.

Technological:  They've got a hammerlock on something new and wonderful that everyone simply feels they must have.  Cheap but advanced energy/gas alternatives, nanotech miracle medicines.... great stuff, infrastructure comes to depend on that technology, which can only be obtained by staying in their good graces. 

As the old saying goes, "By gifts one makes slaves, and by whips one makes dogs."

Cultural: Getting in on the ground floor, and coming to dominate education, entertainment and/or religion.  Ideally, overlaping, coordinated projects that might seem unrelated but subtley reinforce support for whatever ideology puts people in the pocket, makes them want to be there, but it's something that would have to have been simmering for a generation or two without some plot device.  Mix in (manufactured) trends and fads?  Text 382991 to decide who makes it to next season!

Combine all three, and you've got both the the physical tools for domination as well as the means to instill the fanatical loyalty.  No single element would be enough to guarantee success, but if all 3 are addressed, you've got the potential for a global movement, or at least domination of enough countries to have the military means and will to conquer the rest. 

Thank you very much this will be helpful (insert evil laughter here)

Offline lt_murgen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:28:50 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that the best war is one in which the enemy defeats itself. 

Once you have overt warfare between two opposing forces, the internal society around those forces tend to tighten up.  Undeclared warfare is far more effective.  It allows the people within a society to have the space to question the decisions their authorities are making. 

Compare World War II to the cold war.  People in the U.S. questioned getting involved in a war in the pacific and in Europe for years, but once an overt military move was made, the people rallied around the cause.  During the cold war, many many questionable decisions were made on both the military and economic fronts.  They were subject to intense public and private debate.  How the Soviet Union and the U.S. dealt with this dissent was part of the overall calculus of war, but without a shot being fired.  Economic brinksmanship and technological one-upsmanship was used to drive political change.  Low-intensity conflict and proxy wars were another tool.

Lol! I allwyas liked the big Bird = trex. It explains why they have t get new kids each season..

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:48:52 AM »
One of the biggest strengths my invading force has is the amount of prep work they will have done before even making their presence known. Slowly but surly having the citizens wanting a better way and then presenting it to them.

Its key to the story to note that this forces leader remains completely anonymous, taking the V strategy of rather than being a man fighting for an ideal he/she will strive to be that ideal personified. They are also very very charismatic and genially a good person.

The main focus of the story is to some what spark debate about which side is in the right, the invaders with good intentions and potentially questionable means or the flawed governments already in power.

Offline lt_murgen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 05:24:17 PM »
In that case, you can have one arm of them working in secret, devoted to economic and social upheaval in other countries.

You could then use military intervention from them be officially for humanitarian reasons.  Imagine them setting up refugee camps to provide food and water.  You'd need security to protect those refugees.  You'd want to provide employment, so the poor refugees do not fall into despair- and permanent housing as well.  Pretty soon, you have an armed city of your own in another country. 

To  your point, none of these needs to be nefarious.  The soldiers and aid workers could genuinely believe they are there to help people.  To educate them, to help them change their society for the better, so as to avoid the [famine, plague, poilitical instability, fill in the blank] that caused such disruption.
Lol! I allwyas liked the big Bird = trex. It explains why they have t get new kids each season..

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 06:42:38 PM »
In that case, you can have one arm of them working in secret, devoted to economic and social upheaval in other countries.

You could then use military intervention from them be officially for humanitarian reasons.  Imagine them setting up refugee camps to provide food and water.  You'd need security to protect those refugees.  You'd want to provide employment, so the poor refugees do not fall into despair- and permanent housing as well.  Pretty soon, you have an armed city of your own in another country. 

To  your point, none of these needs to be nefarious.  The soldiers and aid workers could genuinely believe they are there to help people.  To educate them, to help them change their society for the better, so as to avoid the [famine, plague, poilitical instability, fill in the blank] that caused such disruption.

Bannana Dictators?  But yeah your point is a good one.

The USA Military set up lots of public works projects in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I'm not too sure about the Refugee Camps being armed cities in another country.  I mean certainly they are as long as the refugees aren't against you.  But if the refugees turned it would become an armed prison instead.

Hearts and Minds in any of the major refugee camps would have to be a big priority.  Then if the country really was falling to peices around them like in Africa then the refugees would turn to the invaders as the only sane solution in a world gone mad.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 04:47:34 AM »
After reading some of these I am going to have to rethink my introduction of the Invading force. Originally I had them capture a US Navy fleet, without killing anyone then destroyed the ships.

Kind of a "Here we are and we can do this. What!"

But now I am thinking striking at the US in such a direct method would be unwise politically.

I am going to have to go a more subtle way before the actual fighting begins, because it will happen.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »
After reading some of these I am going to have to rethink my introduction of the Invading force. Originally I had them capture a US Navy fleet, without killing anyone then destroyed the ships.

But now I am thinking striking at the US in such a direct method would be unwise politically.

I am going to have to go a more subtle way before the actual fighting begins, because it will happen.

I suppose you could have entire fleets or task groups just disappear on a trans pacific cruise.  No on knows what happened then the new kids on the block start making visible waves elsewhere.

Followed by reports from Invader analysts to Strategic Command.  American Fleet has been degraded to as acceptable, one we can live with, according to the Manifesto or whatever master plan they have.

The Deposed King

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:37:49 PM »

The question would be, "who are they trying to intimidate" and are they trying to soley intimidate at this point, or actually diminish/destroy the US's ability to project power globally at this point? 

If you want to intimidate John Q Public, you need to hit (or show control of) something they relate to in their every day lives.  Groceries, for example. 

Now, for government, how about a sizable chunk of the nuclear arsenel, or maybe a few of the "boomers".... the navy's missile subs?  "Shit!  Where'd all our subs in the Pacific just go?" would cause all sorts of Pucker Factor in the brass and politicians smart enough to know their value.  Or all of a certain class of secret spy sat?

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »
I did have the idea of taking out satellites. Also a satellite weapons system that would be just as devastating as a nuke without as much radiation.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 04:47:22 PM »
EMP.  Fry any active electronics in the field of effect.  Shut down a city or a fleet at sea....

Even though there are "no broken windows", a strike on a town or city would still create a lot of casualties.  Planes crashing, cars going dead while on the highway, hospital life support, industrial machinery and processes that require constant electronic supervision, etc.