Author Topic: World Domination of Course!!!  (Read 3090 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: World Domination of Course!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 12:54:08 AM »
EMP.  Fry any active electronics in the field of effect.  Shut down a city or a fleet at sea....

Even though there are "no broken windows", a strike on a town or city would still create a lot of casualties.  Planes crashing, cars going dead while on the highway, hospital life support, industrial machinery and processes that require constant electronic supervision, etc.

Yeah a 'demonstration' strike against some 3rd world power like syria or in africa, no one can officially get pissed off at you for attacking.  Emp their city from orbit to demonstrate you superiority, that would have everyone scrambling.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 02:46:51 AM »
Have to up the ante if the target audience is the public rather than the military or government elite.  As the Merlin said in regard to the Red Court nerve gassing whole city blocks, "Nobody cares what happens in Africa."   Not an issue of wealth or race so much as it's harder for a member of Group A and Group B to put themselves in the shoes of the other.  Something awful happens to someone we can't relate with, we don't care without making a conscious effort to relate, but make it someone who reminds us of ourselves, we empathize more readily.

It's not even about arrogance, ethnocentricism or value judgements, it's just some baggage from evolving from troop oriented social primates.  "Smell different, different color fur, you're not really us.  Even if you're not a threat, I'm more worried about carrying these jumjum berries back to my own troop.  Might even get me laid." is how our head-meat naturally tends to process. 

A demonstration strike against a third world country won't impact the psyche of the average 1st or 2nd worlder.  Compare the Haiti earthquake and it's response to Hurricane Katrina or the tsunami in Japan.  People felt awful and wanted to help, but it didn't have the kick to the gut that a catastrophe happening to people with who we relate to more.  The "Oh, fuck... that could happen here."

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 05:07:30 AM »
The problem I have with a tremendous show of power with their super weapon is collateral damage it would cause.

Part of the schema to win over the population is that the tactics used by the invaders focuses on devastating surgical strikes with very little to no civilian involvement. This would strike fear into the government but the war fought amongst the civilians would be to win their hearts and minds.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.