Author Topic: Jim's 2012 Schedule  (Read 51206 times)

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
Re: Jim's 2012 Schedule
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 09:28:44 PM »
He's been to Canada a time or two, but never beyond that.  He doesn't travel well, so overseas isn't really in the cards, as far as I'm aware.

If the marvellous won't come to mundane then the mundane will have to come to marvellous.
Gives me a year to save up travel money for when he is next out and about.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 11:39:58 AM »
Personally, I'd be happy if Jim didn't bother with convention appearances at all from now on.  The short story side has been fairly productive & I suspect the later release of Cold Days, has more to do with Ghost Story getting released rather late into the year.  (Compared to what was planned.)

If Jim needs self fulfillment, the Internet can provide a better experience than most conventions, since you don't need to dress in clean clothing, you have more time to consider your responses & you can take a bite into a sammie, between posts.

(Or worry about the lack of deodorant smell.)

Plus, airports can get stressful, especially when there are issues.

I know fans like a meet & greet, but I think Jim has well earned the right to cut back on this sort of thing.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 02:38:20 PM »
Keep in mind that Jim LIKES doing cons; remember, he's a fan as well. It's just that going to so many of them together wear on him, as it would on anyone. But he's also savvy in regards to PR—authors benefit greatly from having a physical public presence, especially one as amiable, entertaining and interesting as his. It's what really hooked me into his books; I saw him at a con in '07, and between him and Shannon, I moved from simply liking his books a lot to thinking they're extremely good people who deserve our support. It's always a good thing when you can help reinforce people doing right.

It's a balance, in the end: between his own fan-ness and keeping a public image, there's got to be a happy medium.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »
Keep in mind that Jim LIKES doing cons; remember, he's a fan as well. It's just that going to so many of them together wear on him, as it would on anyone. But he's also savvy in regards to PR—authors benefit greatly from having a physical public presence, especially one as amiable, entertaining and interesting as his. It's what really hooked me into his books; I saw him at a con in '07, and between him and Shannon, I moved from simply liking his books a lot to thinking they're extremely good people who deserve our support. It's always a good thing when you can help reinforce people doing right.

It's a balance, in the end: between his own fan-ness and keeping a public image, there's got to be a happy medium.

^^^^^
THAT

I first met Jim in 2010 at NYCC ( Along with Shecky,Priscilla, and well MOST of the Mods) and it's hard to explain just meeting Jim the man, not the "product" had a VERY positive impact on me as a man. I met Shannon January 2011 at a con with Jim and seeing the two of them together you have a model of what a marriage SHOULD be.

Like Shecky said Jim LIKES cons as a fan Himself, but as a Professional they are draining EVERYONE wants to stop him on the show floor to sign something chat ect, and he never says no, bu he really just wants an hour to browse for himself. I have actually been part of a group "shielding" Jim so he could have a little time to browse and geek out and it was always "Let Jim have an hour and he'll be happy to chat and sign stuff after over at X place" Jim is THAT guy. They kicked him out of DragonCon for being a FIRE HAZARD so he took the line outside and signed there!

I can't say this enough I LIKE his work, but I LOVE him as a person, I love Shannon more, but then again so does he  ;)
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline ladyamadaun

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 12:16:14 AM »

I totally agree too.  I've been to many book signings in my life from Stephanie Meyer to Clive Barker, and I've had a wide variety of experiences.  Some neat, some disappointing and even some mortifying, but none of them even compare to the one I went to to see Jim.   I had just been sent home from Argentina with a back injury, and you could say that I was pretty down.   Well, my best friend in an effort to cheer me up told me that Changes had come out and that the author would be signing books at a B&N in LA.  Now, at this point, I had only read the first two of the series and that had been about a year before.  I would have read more but circumstances prevented me.  So I just didn't really know what to expect, but it sure wasn't what I got.  We didn't really even talk about the book all that much or at least not that I remember.  Someone got him to tell the story of being cursed by a witch doctor in Brazil, which is an absolutely roll-on-the-floor hilarious story.  It was all such an emotionally uplifting experience that has never been repeated by any signing before or since.  I remember walking out of the store not only with my first real smile since I couldn't remember when, but as a fan for life.  It really made a big different at that time in my life.  And that's not even mentioning the staggering amount of books he signed that night.  Very few people asked him to sign only one book, many had a box, and he never turned them away.  Now that's generosity.  A man like that deserves all the respect his fans can give him including time off.       

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 03:42:02 AM »
Yup, that's the kind of guy he is.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 04:28:17 AM »
I was lucky enough to be able to attend a couple of his signings. They were both a blast. At the first one I even got a few minutes to talk to him one on one. I doubt that he would remember it but it certainly made a lasting impression on me. Having said that I think doing the convention and signing circuit every year could get grueling. Even more so if he decides to start a second series again. I would rather have a happy, healthy and well rested Jim (I left that second comma out just for you Shecky) writing the books that we all love. I hope I get the chance to attend a convention or a book signing again with him there but there's no rush.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 04:56:02 PM »
Keep in mind that Jim LIKES doing cons;  I saw him at a con in '07, and between him and Shannon, I moved from simply liking his books a lot to thinking they're extremely good people who deserve our support. It's always a good thing when you can help reinforce people doing right.

Ditto here!  I always liked his books. After seeing him and Shannon @ MarsCon, I adore his books, and them!  He is brilliant and funny in a way that is best appreciated in person!
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »
Jim will not be making any convention appearances in 2012.  Whether he will be doing a book tour for Cold Days remains to be seen.

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but do we have a release date for Cold Days?  Time to start planning the Mid Atlantic Harry Dresden Fan Release Party!  Hope we have a book signing in our area! 

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »
Check out the Cold Days thread.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,31273.msg1488635.html#msg1488635

Mucho gracias, Shades!! :)  Have posted to MidAtlantic Harry Dresden Fans FB page!

Offline Lany79

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 10:49:31 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed the two signings I attented for the Dresden Files. Jim was generous with the book signings, as someone mentioned before, and was just a friendly and interesting person to speak with. I would love the chance to be able to just sit down with the man and talk casually and pick his brain (and not necessarily about the Dresden Files).

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 12:11:49 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed the two signings I attented for the Dresden Files. Jim was generous with the book signings, as someone mentioned before, and was just a friendly and interesting person to speak with. I would love the chance to be able to just sit down with the man and talk casually and pick his brain (and not necessarily about the Dresden Files).

I've had the pleasure and it's worth every second. We talked about everything BUT his work, geeking out about books he loves and him telling me,STERNLY, that I had to watch Stargate SG-1. You will hear me and Shecky say Jim (and His wife Shannon) is more then a great author, hes just good "folks". Having been able to just "hang" with him had a very positive effect on me, personally, in a time when I really needed a bright light. I'm also very honored to have been able to tell him so as well.  :D
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline bgsugirl

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 03:18:12 AM »
This is disappointing but everyone deserves a break. Maybe something interesting (that isn't death) will happen at my college this year. We had too many students die in car accidents and of health problems this year.

Offline Daylightdemon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 11:49:36 PM »
Mexico City!!!!!