Author Topic: Master List of Focused Practitioning Fields  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
Master List of Focused Practitioning Fields
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »
Basically trying to compile a list of fields of study of magic (basically focused practitioners), as mentioned by Mr. Butcher or the RPG:
EVOCATION, THAUMATURGY

Pyromancy- fire
Terramancy- earth
Hydromancy- water
Aeromancy- air, flight
Kinetomancy- “force”
Chronomancy- time
Caffeinomancy- coffee (actually in the RPG)
Ectomancy- ghost
Neuromancy- mind reading
Psychomancy- mind control
Necromancy- death
Alchemy- potions
Anthropomancy- divination via human entrails
Vulcanomancy- magma subset of earth
Phonoturgy- sound
Holomancy- invisiblility
Verisimilomancy- illusion

Two I'm not quite clear on:
Enchantress- ?
Ferromancy- magnetics, electrics? Minerals? technology?

(also, reasonable assumed additions could include chloromancy, cleromancy (determining will of deities), allomancy (see wikipedia), Astralmancy (NeverNever expert), Technomancy (if that isn't ferromancy, and there could be problems w/ technology)

Thoughts?  Supplements to this list, corrections, additions?

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Master List of Focused Practitioning Fields
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 12:11:48 AM »
Entropomancy - curses/destruction magic

There's also demon magic, outsider magic, soulfire, seelie magic and unseelie magic that don't follow the usual "-mancy" suffix.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
Mechanomancy - Simple Machines
Electromancy - Electricity
Meteomancy - Weather
Ourobomancy - serpents/dragons
Ophidimancy - snakes
Rodentiamancy - Rats & Rodents
Corrosiomancy - Acid & corrosive chemicals
Detritomancy - Dust and particulate matter (got an NPC Detritomancer in my game named Amir Haboob)
Nychtomancy - Darkness, very similar to
Umbramancy - Shadows

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:45:16 AM by computerking »
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Anher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
Oneiromancy - Dreams/Illusions, at least under Channeling. Under ritual it would be a subset of Divination.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:08:32 PM »
Haemmancy- Blood
Gravimancy- Gravity
Atomancy - Control of Small Particles
Alchemancy - Alcohol
Mancy - Divination
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:16:45 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:35:08 PM »
At least as currently defined, the Dresdenverse (ie, WoJ) and RAW (DFRPG) don't allow for any compatibility between magic and all but the most rudimentary technology.  So no -mancies that involve technology, electronics, computers, etc.

Of course, Jim could always change this in the next book, or the book after.  But for now, I think it's pretty clear that tech and spooky don't mix.

You might also want to nail down the list a bit more in terms of powers used (ie, Channeling vs Rituals).  For example, Pyromancy is Channeling(Fire), Ectomancy is Rituals(Ghost theme), etc.  I would probably classify Enchantress as Rituals(Crafting) (ie, turning non-magical things into magical things via enchants), though if you want to include enchantments on people, then you might treat it as a theme, instead.

Also, Psychomancy and Neuromancy are really just Rituals(Psychomancy), since the YS version of Psychomancy covers both reading and manipulation already.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »
Also, Psychomancy and Neuromancy are really just Rituals(Psychomancy), since the YS version of Psychomancy covers both reading and manipulation already.

I know, I'm just trying to get the actual fields down (not so much game mechanics necessarily).

Incidentally, does anyone know what Ferromancy is?  I've seen different answers:
*Mab's word for technology
*Magnetics/Electrics
*Iron/Metal

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:04:15 AM »
I would point out that anthropomancy isn't really a practical focus, as the game allows you to specialize in all kinds of divination, and reading human entrails would be against the first law.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »
I would point out that anthropomancy isn't really a practical focus, as the game allows you to specialize in all kinds of divination, and reading human entrails would be against the first law.

True, I'm just trying to get a list of fields (several of these are irrevocably Law-breaking (ie necromancy).

Any guesses on ferromancy?

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 11:27:56 PM »
Any guesses on ferromancy?
My recollection of Mab's comment was that it seemed to refer to the largely mortal capability to create machines to expand their capabilities (ie, technology).  Fae rely entirely on magic, so technology might seem almost like a form of magic, even to those clever enough to realize that it's only a matter of crafting.

Though it might have been referring more specifically the creation of machines from iron, which would be the Fae equivalent of Black Magic...  I'd need to find the reference to grab the context.  Where was it?

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 04:33:16 AM »
Though it might have been referring more specifically the creation of machines from iron, which would be the Fae equivalent of Black Magic...  I'd need to find the reference to grab the context.  Where was it?

DB, found the quote:

Quote from: Mab
“This mortal ferromancy—technology, you called it. Does it yet conceal the book?”

Offline Magickal_Grenadier

• Participant
  • Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 05:23:11 AM »
Ferromancy, while used by Mab to describe human tech, would deal with ferrous metals or stones. Describing an object as ferrous implies that the object contains a high amount of iron, which as we all know makes things magnetic. Therfore, Ferromancy = magnatisim
My Dresden Files purity rating is 43%

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 05:38:44 AM »
*cue Evil Laugh*

Copromancy!
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Quackerjack

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »
Eww, thats disgusting.  :o

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 03:09:10 AM »
DB, found the quote:
Sounds pretty clear that she meant technology in general, regardless of the 'true' meaning of the word.  Which makes sense, really: "ferromancy" literally means "iron magic" and throughout history a great deal of mortal technology has involved working with iron or its alloys.  At least, until recently, when plastics and semiconductors become key players -- but that's maybe the last 50 years, after some 3000 years of iron dominance, and even now technological devices routinely contain some iron.  Considering Mab's relationship with iron, it seems reasonable for her to equate iron with technology.

Ferromancy, while used by Mab to describe human tech, would deal with ferrous metals or stones. Describing an object as ferrous implies that the object contains a high amount of iron, which as we all know makes things magnetic. Therfore, Ferromancy = magnatisim
Er ... not as such.  [nitpicking] Iron responds to magnetic fields, are attractic to magnetic materials, and can be made into magnets by (for example) applying a very strong magnetic field.  (And iron is also not unique in these aspects, there are other metals -- nickle and cobalt, for example -- that behave the same way despite containing no iron.)  I think that if iron made things magnetic, computer manufacturers would think twice about using steel cases on computers.  As it is, the fact that iron reacts to magnetic fields actually leads to the use of steel as magnetic shielding for computers.[/nitpicking]

Of course, driving on freeways would be a lot more ... interesting if all iron (and therefore steel) was magnetic...   ;D