Author Topic: Merfolk, What are they?  (Read 1826 times)

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
Merfolk, What are they?
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:28:01 AM »
Are merfolk standard Faeries, or could they be distant cousins to the fomor that weren't banished because they didn't choose the fomor's side? Has anyone played or played with a merfolk Changeling character? If so, what are your insights about them?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
Re: Merfolk, What are they?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:58:29 AM »
I'd go with none of the above.  They're more greek/sailors than celtic/germanic origin, so not really either fae or fomor.  Not that I have a lot of use for merfolk at the moment.  Pretty much all of the PCs are air breathers and they're in a landlocked state.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 05:31:07 AM »
Or all of the above - different creatures could collectively be called merfolk by the ignorant land dwellers.

So some of them could be Fae while others could be one of several independent races (each associated with a different mythology?) and then there are the ones associated with the Fomor - whose beauty turns to hideousness as they go from kissing sailors to drowning them.

Richard

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 06:04:15 AM »
Considering the History of Formor as given they make the most sense given their aquatic nature.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:09:07 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »
Considering the History of Formor as given they make the most sense given their aquatic nature.
(click to show/hide)

Was that an actual direct quote?  If not, it's likely hugely wrong.  I mean, for starters, the fae don't even make up a majority of what is still active in the Nevernever.  And there are still plenty of non-fae creatures wandering around the mortal plane who never so much as get their feet wet.  Add to that the fact that most of the world is covered in water and the likelihood of the Fomor even making up a majority of the water dwelling creatures isn't good enough to put money on.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 05:22:14 PM »
I think the exact quote from Ghost Stories is:
(click to show/hide)

Which comes after this bit from Bob:
(click to show/hide)

Which (of course) is a reference to the short story Curses
(click to show/hide)

Hope this helps.

Richard

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
Some, but not really.  It still leaves them hugely undefined in both scope and nature.  Good for Jim, bad for us.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 06:18:57 PM »
There are a large variety of "merfolk" myths from all over the place. Asia, the Mediterranean, the pacific coast of the Americas, pretty much anywhere where there was water. Find one you like and go with it.

Offline Guldor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:11:52 AM »
I actually have a player, who plays a half undine. I´m modelling merfolk more or less after the ancient greek origins and assume that they are some kind of independent fae court. Since we are playing in germany, more exactly Bremen, the fae of the north sea are an important force of the local supernatural politics. The player itself doesn´t really belong to this merfolk, since I thought of a darker breed of merfolk faeries, who life in the deep, cold reaches of the ocean, and who are some kind of cruel seers, who belong to the winter court.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 05:00:22 PM »
D&D, for reference, has a variety of potential merfolk from multiple origins: human, elf, fey. Which is not to insist we emulate D&D, so much as encourage folks to develop merfolk as they will, and give them origins as suits the story you want to tell. If done with finesse, it may continue to be viable in spite of the revelation of new canonical information.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 09:50:43 PM »
Well I dunno about cannon but the Miami-based Game I've been running since January focuses a lot around the Merfolk Nation which I am treating as a type of Fae, sort of a Court of the Sea. I also have them tied to Atlantis as their original home before it was destroyed at the command of the Olympian Gods. The True Fae Merfolk are generally referred to as "Sirens" and the Wildfae and other beasts would be related to the Fomors, though in my world there are also group of refugees from Olympus living amongst the Mer Court; mostly lesser deities, shape-shifters and children of Poseidon who were not allowed into Olympus when it was sealed off from the rest of the world.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me