Author Topic: Playing a Pixie - combining Diminutive Size and Human Guise  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Playing a Pixie - combining Diminutive Size and Human Guise
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 01:17:19 AM »
What I was getting at with my comment about Denarians is that they do shapeshift and that some of their powers must obviously be unavailable in human form. For example: Hulking Size.

PS: Attacks against Might or Endurance might or might not be possible depending on how you read the rules. The only indication of a Might attack being possible is one example evocation. Endurance is mentioned as the defense skill against poisons and some environmental attacks, but not as something that players can aim attacks at. Personally, I choose to believe that the rules do not allow such attacks. If you want my reasons, I'll find a link to the thread where I argued this.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 02:31:22 AM »
What I was getting at with my comment about Denarians is that they do shapeshift...
Agreed.  That said, there are powers other than Human Form which can account for this.  Beast Change or True Shapeshifting are the obvious examples.

I'm not against giving some Denarians some form of Human Form either.  Just pointing out that's not the only way...and leaving it out doesn't necessarily make the book "wrong".
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 03:17:00 AM »
If they have some powers that are not available in human form, and that is not modeled by their powers, then the book is wrong.

Not that that's news. OW's Denarian writeups are pretty bad.

Offline Dravokian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 02:06:13 PM »
I usually solve this problem with glamors instead of human guise. Human guises fail if you use your powers. The hulking vs Diminutive size i solve by simply making it less pronounced. For instance a hulking size orge changling gets glamored and looks like a near 7 foot tall man. a diminutive size pixie changling gets glamored and looks like a 4 foot tall small person. They don't blend particularity well... they are still noticed or even stared at but it just adds a flare to the game. You can still use the bonuses from the size categories that way. Also Human guise isn't perfect... there is something slightly wrong about the way you look... and can be noticed with alertness. Lots of characters and NPC villains have high alertness foe initiative. In a pig city it is understandable that the average joe would have a decent alertness. Have to watch out for muggers ect. A glamor is seen through with discipline. Less likely to be very high for the average joe.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 10:14:12 PM »
I don't allow human guise for changelings unless their parents have it.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 10:40:31 PM »
Would you allow Human Guise as a 'downgrade' of a parent's Glamours?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough