Author Topic: Question about last 2 phases of Character Creation  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Keryth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Question about last 2 phases of Character Creation
« on: October 03, 2011, 02:03:17 AM »
OK, if I am understanding correctly, players write the story synopsis for their last two adventures, then they get randomly given to 2 other players, 1 who guest stars in each one. No aspects though are gained by the "Main Character" of thiese stories, correct? You only gain aspects for the last two phases from the stories you guest star in, correct?
Shadows Over New York - A Dresden Files RPG Campaign with some added bonuses from Books, TV, and Movies.  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Question about last 2 phases of Character Creation
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 02:55:59 AM »
OK, if I am understanding correctly, players write the story synopsis for their last two adventures, then they get randomly given to 2 other players, 1 who guest stars in each one.

Close but not quite. The player writes one story beginning and then it is passed around to two other players (for their last two aspects).

No aspects though are gained by the "Main Character" of thiese stories, correct? You only gain aspects for the last two phases from the stories you guest star in, correct?

This is right. The character gains aspects from his/her guest roles in other character's stories, but gains no aspects for what others write on their story.

Offline MegaPuff75

• Conversationalist
  • You say "vindictive jerk" like it's a bad thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 05:41:45 AM »
However if you wanted to you could change the aspect you are already getting from the story (in the "First Story" slot) to match what others added to the story.
DV MegaPuff75 v1.2 YR6 FR0.3 BK++ RP++ !JB TH++ WG CL SW BC+ MC----
http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?54:70:18:23:5:6:22:26:19:27:9:37:16:41:18:28:5:5:
Quantum Physics: proof the universe was built by the lowest bidder

Offline Keryth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:34:18 AM »
Close but not quite. The player writes one story beginning and then it is passed around to two other players (for their last two aspects).

This is right. The character gains aspects from his/her guest roles in other character's stories, but gains no aspects for what others write on their story.

Thanks for the clarifications.

I assume though, that each player should still note the story they shared somewhere on their sheet even though they do not get an aspect from it?
Shadows Over New York - A Dresden Files RPG Campaign with some added bonuses from Books, TV, and Movies.  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 04:57:24 AM »
I usually keep it around, but I'm a writer so I like that kind of thing. It's not necessary for the game.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:13:11 AM »
A writer, hm?

Just out of curiosity, what do you write? Would I have heard of you?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:42:55 PM »
I write all sorts of fiction. Isn't likely that you've heard of me though. Closest I've ever been to publication is writing credits on a couple of semi-popular web comics and if you'd read them then you'd get my name reference.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:44:48 PM by sinker »

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 04:08:38 AM »
For your last 3 aspects:

1: your write the synopsis of your 'novel' and pick an aspect.
1a: two other people 'guest star' in your novel, they get aspects from this, you don't

2: You guest star in someone else's novel, you get an aspect from this.

3: You guest star in someone else's novel, you get an aspect from this.

The characters Here should show how the cross linked 'novel' aspects are supposed to work.

Offline Keryth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 06:59:18 PM »
For your last 3 aspects:

1: your write the synopsis of your 'novel' and pick an aspect.
1a: two other people 'guest star' in your novel, they get aspects from this, you don't

2: You guest star in someone else's novel, you get an aspect from this.

3: You guest star in someone else's novel, you get an aspect from this.

The characters Here should show how the cross linked 'novel' aspects are supposed to work.

So then, the story being used is the tale from Phase 2?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »
Ok, I'll throw up an example of the entire process. We have three players. Each of them write up the story of how their characters have arrived at this point. This is their phase 1-2 aspects, their background and rising conflict. These are only for their characters, and mechanically are only there to help create those two aspects (it helps them understand their character better too).

Next each writes a short synopsis of a story in which they were the main character. This should be open ended and quick, and is the source for their phase three aspect.

Now everyone passes that story synopsis to their left (we probably should randomize them, but since we have only three players this works best). The next person will add their own character into that story, gaining their fourth phase aspect in the process. Again, the stories are passed around and the players add their characters to the next story, gaining their fifth phase aspect.

In the end each player should have a story synopsis that they began and that was added to by two other people. They should note these connections (in the spaces on the sheet labeled "Guest starring" or similar), because it reflects how you know these people, however your aspects will only reflect your synopsis beginning, and the parts that you wrote in other stories.

Does this help?

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 11:11:30 AM »
So then, the story being used is the tale from Phase 2?

Hah to look in the book to see what 'phase 2' was.  But no, you make up a new story for phase 3 (called variously your first adventure, your first novel, etc).

So you should have 7 aspects, in total:

1: High concept
2: Trouble
3: Background
4: Rising Conflict
5: First Novel
6: 1st Guest Starring
7: 2nd Guest Starring

You write a description of your first novel, and the aspect.  That description is then passed to two other players   They write how they interacted with your character in that story, and make up aspects their character gained from it.  Then the story is returned to you, can you can write up your ending, and maybe modify the original aspect you had phase 3.

-------------------------

More detailed example:
(I'll be stealing from my earlier work here for characters.)

Imagine you are playing in a 'Young Wardens' game.  Your character is going to be one of the young wardens rushed through training around the time of Dead Beat

There are two other players in the game:
Crusher Bob (Playing Xiao Jing Wei)
and
Anti Crusher Bob (Playing Matthew Rhodes)

They create their first novels in part 3, and each one passes it to you, and you have to write in how your character appeared in that story, and what he did.

So, Jing-Wei's first story is:
Unknown Perpetrators
After completing her training, Jing-Wei returned to her old haunts to… take out some garbage.  Will the young wardens first outing result in a lightning storm of vengeance, dead bodies, and law breaking?

Your character was there, what did he do?  Did he try to talk sense into Jing-Wei?  Did he help her hide the bodies and look the other way on the law breaking?  Did he help?  And what aspect are you going to add to your character because of it?

--------------------

And Matthew's first story is:
Higher Education
One of Matthew’s friends from high school, who is starting college, starts acting oddly.  Matthew investigates the fraternity his friend has joined, seems something bad is going on there.  The fraternity brothers had cut a deal with some sort of demon, 1 human sacrifice in exchange for 4 years of smooth sailing and it’s not like those homeless guys were worth anything anyway, right?

Your character was there, what did he do?  Were you running your own investigation into the same subject, or did Matthew come to you for help?  Did you come there to protect the innocent or to punish the guilty?  How much justice did you dispense as you saw fit?

-----------------------

And you'd write you 'first story' and you'd then pass it to the two other players.  They'll describe what they did in your first story.  Then you 'finish' the story and finalize your 5th aspect.  Your 6th and 7th aspect come what what you did in Jing-Wei's and Matthew's stories.