Author Topic: How to give a wizard some amenites.  (Read 7222 times)

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
Re: How to give a wizard some amenites.
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 12:40:23 AM »
On piercings, what Richard said.  Even a non-wizard human body will heal up piercings eventually.  It depends on how long it was used regularly for the most part.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 04:09:24 AM »
I agree with TMB and Richard on piercings.  I'm less sure about tattoos...they do tend to a) fade with time and b) become distorted by changes in body composition, but I don't think they ever fade completely away.  (IRL, there are preserved tattoos allegedly centuries old which still look reasonably good.)  As for tattoos interacting with recovery powers - the tattooing process inserts a foreign substance (ink).  So it would require rejection and not simply healing for the recovery power to erode the tattoo.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 04:29:46 PM »
 @ umbralux: So recovery powers do not reject bullets or poisons? 

In regards to wizard Con: So wizard constitution + tattoos etc. = fine?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
Haru,
I like the idea of the linked crystals.
Thanks

Everyone/Anyone,
I am not familiar enough with the crafting rules.  If I wanted to stat it up how would you do it?  Would it be a thaumaturgic ritual placing 2 aspects of the crystals and a duration?  It seems to simple, but when I tend to over-think things too much and complicate it.
I wouldn't stat it up at all. Let me ask you this: are any of the stats EVER going to come up during play? Most likely not. So it is a mundane effect, and it should be treated as such. A simple "magical heat conductor" aspect on the wizards place should be enough, no numbers or roll needed.

@silverblaze
No, they do not. you still get them, but they heal pretty quick. In fact, it might even be reasonable for a character with a recovery power to say, the wound closes before the bullet is completely gone through him.

As for tattoos and piercings: Piercings should not be a problem, they stay open as long as the piercing is in place. A character with a very high recovery power will probably have problems getting through airport security without the holes closing up. You could however also say, that a recovery power lets the flesh grow over the piercing and "spit" it out. The way it works should be on the players discretion, you should not punish him if he thinks a character with recovery and piercings is cool. little things (the airport security for example) might be fun, and the character might simply not care and push them back in, making new holes that close in a matter of seconds.

Come to think it, it should be the players choice with tattoos as well. Maybe he thinks it would be fun to have new tattoos every 2 weeks, do the power removes them, or he wants them to last, so it doesn't. He would still be able to cut of his skin and have it heal in a matter of moments, if he wanted to remove them.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 10:29:29 PM »
@ umbralux: So recovery powers do not reject bullets or poisons? 
That's open to interpretation isn't it?  :)  (Specifically, do recovery powers eject foreign objects / material or simply heal wounds?)

I'd probably use the recovery power as a block against creating the tattoo but have the tattoo permanent once created.  That's just one possible answer though...

In regards to wizard Con: So wizard constitution + tattoos etc. = fine?
Wizard constitution is essentially a recovery power...just a very slow one.  So I'd use the answer given above. 

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:31:10 PM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46:15 PM »
Fair enough. Was just trying to gather a general consensus.  Thanks.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2011, 01:18:23 AM »
@Silverblaze: A very, very slow one,  yup.

Rough guestimate?  You'd have to have them touched up twice as often as a plain mortal.  So every five or so years if you want to keep them looking good.  Depends on how much detail there is, what kind of needle was used, which inks were used, your personal metabolism, and several other factors.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 06:45:59 PM »
Hmm, This brings to mind a thought: The idea of Tatoos as either Focus or Enchanted Items. How would you consider the process of making these, narratively? Would the wizard in question focus their will on the tattoo (repeatedly, for weeks) once it's done, or on the ink beforehand?  And then there's Tattoo potions. Faster to make, but does the tattoo disappear when used? And what does a Tattoo EI look like when used? The ideas just flow....
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline chelatek

• Participant
  • Hay guys what's going on in this thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 06:50:16 PM »
Harry notes a few times that it's very easy to make money as a wizard, and that he chose exactly how he lives.  That has to mean that there's a way for wizards to live in modern luxury.  As someone pointed out, at the very least it's easy to heat water without technology or even magic. 

Offline chelatek

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2011, 06:52:01 PM »
Hmm, This brings to mind a thought: The idea of Tatoos as either Focus or Enchanted Items. How would you consider the process of making these, narratively? Would the wizard in question focus their will on the tattoo (repeatedly, for weeks) once it's done, or on the ink beforehand?  And then there's Tattoo potions. Faster to make, but does the tattoo disappear when used? And what does a Tattoo EI look like when used? The ideas just flow....

See: Susan's tattoos. It also stands to reason that since you can inscribe quick wards with something like ink or paint, that you could scribble one on your arm and get such an effect. As far as I can remember, the physical inscription doesn't disappear when the energy is used (thinking of the "random scrawlings" in GS that lit up but I don't remember a mention of them vanishing).

When I play other games and make magic users, they usually invoke magical tattoos, which is a relatively common idea.  I would venture that if I ever made a magic-oriented DFRPG char, he would be a magic tattoo scribe and would be able to whip out an enchanted pen and throw down forumlae/symbols instead of casting direct spells.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:54:12 PM by chelatek »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2011, 07:25:04 PM »

I think I'd pass on making tattoo focus items.  Remember what happened to Harry's shield bracelet when he overtaxed it and consider that happening to something under your skin.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2011, 07:31:42 PM »
I think I'd pass on making tattoo focus items.  Remember what happened to Harry's shield bracelet when he overtaxed it and consider that happening to something under your skin.

There's a great "tattoo man vs wizard" battle in A Madness of Angels.  Without giving spoilers, it's a way that a wizard using a freestyle magic system (DFRPG, Mage, etc) can neutralise tattoo based magic.

Richard

Offline chelatek

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2011, 07:37:08 PM »

In one of the other games I play, with a tatto'd magic user, that actually happens. He has protective tattos and if he gets hit hard enough, they overload and burn him and burn their outline in his clothes.  In a giant battle he actually had his shirt reduced to ashes because he was hit so often.  I think it's both a great side-effect of such a powerful always-on ward and a really cool image.

Offline razorsmile

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • red like smoke
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2011, 07:45:28 PM »
In one of the other games I play, with a tatto'd magic user, that actually happens. He has protective tattos and if he gets hit hard enough, they overload and burn him and burn their outline in his clothes.  In a giant battle he actually had his shirt reduced to ashes because he was hit so often.  I think it's both a great side-effect of such a powerful always-on ward and a really cool image.

Yep, that happens in Larry Correia's Hard Magic too; overloading a regen or durability brand causes it to heat up and burn the bearer. I imagine that's why most wizards stick with foci.
They rose amid the crag as lightning blasted the mountains black against the sky and lashed blue fire over their saddles and along the guns.