Author Topic: Edumacation And Enlearnment  (Read 148978 times)

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Edumacation And Enlearnment
« Reply #435 on: October 05, 2014, 11:01:20 PM »
What are the skills classes?

Offline moon

• Posty McPostington
  • Dr awesome aka neuro THANK YOU
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 06, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
lab skills
scientiic wrriting
team work
itc
presenting
intavew
comunication
cv and cover letter
maths
sskills ect

you know employebilaty and scientific skills
may you live in interesting times

My Guide Dog Layla is pawsome
@blindseyeview for pictures ect

Offline Shinihime

• Conversationalist
  • When Terminally Depressed, Use Kittens as Antidote
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 24, 2014, 02:57:55 AM »
Totally unrelated (I know, right), but since my Soph year started I've been taking two languages, and it's very fun.  Except on Wednesdays, when I've got Japanese then Spanish.  On normal days, I have English between the two.  Block days drive me nuts sometimes.
Hello.  Have you seen my mortality anywhere?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 24, 2014, 03:03:56 AM »
Yep, I remember when I had French and English in the same days. Luckily I had half an hour inbetweem, which I used for read something in Spanish, so not to get blocked. At least, Japanese and Spanish had a similar pronunciation, so that is something.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline raljamcar

• Posty McPostington
  • "United we Stand, Divided we Fall"
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 09, 2015, 06:50:21 AM »
Fwiw, there was not enough room in my curriculum for any elective courses, thanks to some questionable practices by Clemson (calling 5 year programs 4-year so as to not intimidate parents).  What electives I did have room for I got because I had AP credits that got me out of a few of the General requirements.  Some of the more intensive majors just dont really give you much freedom in terms of actual classtime to invest.  Ive known since I was knee high that Engineering was the Path for me, so transferring majors wasnt much of a concern, but thats far from normal Im sure.  regardless, even with that sort of situation you will never have more free time than College, until well after Retirement.  So in addition to electives, dont get so focused on the classes that you cant take advantage of the extra-curricular things around.  There were several clubs and activities (including a Skydiving Club!) that I could have been a part of but convinced myself I didnt have time for.  Had plenty of time for anime and DnD apparently :P

Yeah, i was originally in a 4 year engi program, for aeronautical engineering. Then i picked up Mechanical as well, with an extra year of classes. I figured there are plenty of 5 year engineering paths anyway, and hey, i am getting 2 degrees from it. There have been time i list off what a generic week in the life of me is like during the school year to friends back home and gotten stared at like i was crazy, and its funny because i cant imagine it any other way.
If i hadnt done engineering i may have gone history, but didnt do that becasue i didnt think it was good career path wise, or more likely epidemiology. particularly finding the roots of diseases and such... becasue that woulda been history with a layer of bio and some chem on top, lol.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
- George Orwell

Offline Shinihime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 10, 2015, 05:53:04 AM »
Yep, I remember when I had French and English in the same days. Luckily I had half an hour inbetweem, which I used for read something in Spanish, so not to get blocked. At least, Japanese and Spanish had a similar pronunciation, so that is something.
Yes, that makes it easier, though sometimes you get words like "manga".  In Spanish, it means "sleeve", and in Japanese, it refers to the comics.

On a side note, I just got into AVID~!  I'll be enrolled in that class in my junior year~.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 10, 2015, 06:08:23 AM »
Yes, that makes it easier, though sometimes you get words like "manga".  In Spanish, it means "sleeve", and in Japanese, it refers to the comics.

On a side note, I just got into AVID~!  I'll be enrolled in that class in my junior year~.

Oh yes, there are a number of faux amis (I don't know Japanese, but I've been told about that). There is also the word "no" which it's a negation in English, Spanish and many other languages while it means something like "of" in Japanese.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Shinihime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 13, 2015, 06:59:57 AM »
Oh yes, there are a number of faux amis (I don't know Japanese, but I've been told about that). There is also the word "no" which it's a negation in English, Spanish and many other languages while it means something like "of" in Japanese.
Yes, "no" in Japanese is used as a possessive.  For example, "Watashi no hon" would mean "book of mine" or "my book".

Offline rocinante

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 17, 2015, 05:23:41 AM »
Hey! Interesting topic!
I am from Brazil. I don't know exactly how my degrees translate to american universities, but I have a law degree and a social scienses degree. I also have a masters in political sciense from the University of São Paulo, and I am currently getting my PhD in political sciense here.
Interesting to see the other posts from people mostly from the humanities. :)

Offline ITheHellAmFan

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 06, 2015, 05:39:19 PM »
I have a BA majoring in Computer Science and Philosophy and minors in Math and Physics.  I work in a tech support call center and really like it, even though my days often feel like this.
"I will not treat your dusty path and flat,
Denoting this and that by this and that,
Your world immutable wherein no part
the little maker has with maker's art."
-Mythopoeia, J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 16, 2016, 08:23:02 AM »
Don 't know if I posted my edumacation here. Bach. in English. Though, the only valuable I got from college was my wife, Traci. They can have that piece of paper back.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Mongward

• Conversationalist
  • Dwarf of the Or-Tench Citadel
    • View Profile
    • Polish FB fanpage of Dresden Files
« Reply #446 on: July 16, 2016, 03:19:11 PM »
I'm an English studies graduate. Both my BA and MA were in literature, one of them in humour translation (I'm Polish). So far I've mostly worked as a translator and proofreader, not of literature, though.
Self-appointed Warden of my hometown. Poland is vastly understaffed, is what I'm saying.

The dice are on fire, and it's totally my fault.

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 21, 2016, 07:52:18 PM »
Formal education = High School diploma.  But, I'm about to turn 59 and have tons of practical, real world experience in a number of things.

Did one of those "life credit" things at a local college about a decade ago.  Thankfully it was one of those where you test first and then they tell you what it will cost to get all those credits applied to a degree.  I scored in a variety of areas including 4 Bach, 2 Mast and a PhD in subjects I can't even remember any more.  It would have cost me over $50k to get diplomas so I let it drop.

"I don't need no stinkin' diploma" to prove I'm educated.

:)
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.