Author Topic: Edumacation And Enlearnment  (Read 149104 times)

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
Re: Edumacation
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »
I have a bachelor's in business management, and a master's in e-commerce/e-business strategies. And of course, I chose a career where I use exactly NONE of the skills that I was taught in my university education. :D (I work as a technical writer and usability consultant.)
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2011, 09:01:48 PM »
They ruined more PCRs than I can tell

*raises hand guiltily*  That would be me.  My PCRs and such never work out.  Last semester, I accidentally hooked up the electrophoresis machine backwards, and my DNA ran the wrong way and fell off the gel.  :-[ ::)
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »
*raises hand guiltily*  That would be me.  My PCRs and such never work out.  Last semester, I accidentally hooked up the electrophoresis machine backwards, and my DNA ran the wrong way and fell off the gel.  :-[ ::)

I think it's a cosmic law or something that everybody who runs gels does that at least once. 

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »
Yes, Parth, PG is right. Everybody has done it at least once! In fact, some of my coworkers still do that from time to time (after years of working)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2011, 09:46:36 PM »
Shecky, I agree wholeheartedly.  I said what I did because it seemed to me, I could be wrong, that T.R.C.C. sounded a bit defensive or embarrassed by being a plumber.  I did not want him to be.
I was a carpenter at the studios and I stand in awe of craftsmen/laborers of any kind.
I think we're doing kids these days a disservice by making it seem that getting your hands dirty is low class or to be avoided.

Yep, that's cool. It's a stupid move to dismiss or pre-judge anyone of any walk of life based on one narrow-minded view. Don't get me wrong - I've met ignorant, ham-handed mechanics who were interested in beer, p***y and hating people not like them, and I've met ivory-tower academics who sneered in a lordly manner at the "less learnèd" who were "too Neandertal" to do advanced study. There's a reason the stereotypes exist: there ARE those kinds of people in certain professions who leave a strong impression like that. That sort of person should be rejected for their own jackassery, not because they fit a prejudiced stereotype.

Anyone who's paid attention to the world around them instead of just listening to canned stereotypes already knows this. No need for anyone in ANY profession to feel shame just because they do a certain kind of job. The only standards for judgement are ones that Robert Heinlein found: "A whore should be judged by the same criteria as other professionals offering services for pay -- such as dentists, lawyers, hairdressers, physicians, plumbers, etc. Is she professionally competent? Does she give good measure? Is she honest with her clients?" The concept sounds racy, but it's just about the best guide to how we deal with people of almost any path in life.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2011, 06:59:14 PM »
I started out with a B.A. in Humanities, and worked in a Minor in Business Management, with the goal of being more employable.  Got a job in management, and went back thanks to the company's tuition assisstance benefit to earn a Master of Business Administration, and move up a pay grade or two.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2011, 07:43:37 PM »
Any chance to make this thread sticky? It will be close and lost in the oblivion soon, and it so cool to know about the others' formation
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2011, 07:54:02 PM »
I've never run DNA off of a gel, but I've blown up my share of agar in a microwave.  :D

My students used to try to put the microscopes back on the shelves before unplugging them at the table.  We built up quite the microscope graveyard.

And I definitely agree that a qualified plumber, carpenter, electrician, mechanic, etc. is an incredibly skilled individual.  You have to know the technical aspects of it and have a really good dose of common sense on top.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »
Any chance to make this thread sticky? It will be close and lost in the oblivion soon, and it so cool to know about the others' formation

It is now sticky, as I have had so few opportunities of late which allow me to run mad with power.

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Edumacation And Enlearnment
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2011, 08:39:21 PM »
Ew!  Now I have to wash my hands every time I touch the thread...
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2011, 08:40:17 PM »
We thank you oh Grand Muppet of Snarkington.
Knocks head against a wall a couple of times and then staggers off.
Seriously, thanks PG. :D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »
It is now sticky, as I have had so few opportunities of late which allow me to run mad with power.

Thank you very much, PG!  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2011, 08:58:42 PM »

Thanks a bunch, PG!

Woohoo, I am the proud owner of my very own sticky!!  ;D
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »
We thank you oh Gatekeeper of Snarkington.
Knocks head against a wall a couple of times and then staggers off.
Seriously, thanks PG. :D

FIFY.  ;)

Thanks for the sticky, PG.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:06:46 PM by shades of grey »

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2011, 09:02:40 PM »
"Thanks for the sticky PG."

That sounds vaguely obscene there SoG. ::)