Author Topic: Edumacation And Enlearnment  (Read 149564 times)

Offline FireWorks

• Posty McPostington
  • On the lookout for minions.
    • View Profile
Re: Edumacation
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 05:38:51 PM »
We could all be accused of being students of the online university of snarkology.
*nods wisely*

Offline T.R.C.C.

• Posty McPostington
  • The Red Court Courier
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 11:12:33 PM »
Left school with mostly D's and a few C's in my GCSE's. Followed my farther's footsteps in plumbing and I am qualified to NVQ levels 2 and 3. Now Gas Safe ( was CORGI*.) in domestic gas. i.e. house boilers, gas ovens, heaters ext. Just your average plumber.

*Council Of Registered Gas Installers.

Love listening to Snark, but it's a skill I just have'nt picked up.
Legitimatly earning money for the high cost of not living.
Hobbys include hunting down spelling and grammer mistakes with a dictionary shotgun, but a few slip by.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2011, 09:23:23 AM »
I can't snark either T.R.C.C. and there's nothing wrong with being a skilled plumber.
I've come to the conclusion that everyone in the world has something at which they excel.  It might be cleaning house, or organizing, or cooking, or fixing cars, or painting, or being a plumber - but they excel at it. 
In the case of most politicians - it's producing hot air or BS but what can you do. ::)

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »
I can't snark either T.R.C.C. and there's nothing wrong with being a skilled plumber.
I've come to the conclusion that everyone in the world has something at which they excel.  It might be cleaning house, or organizing, or cooking, or fixing cars, or painting, or being a plumber - but they excel at it. 
In the case of most politicians - it's producing hot air or BS but what can you do. ::)

"Nothing wrong"? Are you kidding? A skilled, honest plumber is someone you hang on to like grim death. Like "our" mechanic shop - there's an Aamco two towns over that my wife and I will ALWAYS bring our cars to, even if it means waiting a little longer or paying more than at the bottom-dollar mechanics. Because they always do good work and they always stand behind their work (in the very rare event that it turns out that some of their work turned out not to be the real problem or whatever). And they are always up-front and honest - they tell you exactly what's wrong, what your options are, what it'll take for each option, everything. They may not be the cheapest in town, but day in and day out, you get the absolute best value for your money. Not to mention they're just plain good folks; they've helped me and my friends out in ways that go above and beyond what an auto mechanic is supposed to do, and they're pleasant people to boot. For example, I ran into the front-desk guy in the supermarket the other day. We stood in the aisle and chatted like fishwives for a while, catching up on families and friends.

And THAT is a treasure. People who scorn "mere laborers" suffer from severe rectocranial inversion, because they're the folks who make it possible for everyone to live in civilized comfort. And if they're good people, too? Priceless folks to know, both in terms of service and of quality people.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline MouseWynne

• Seriously?
  • Never seek to know for whom the bell tolls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2011, 12:44:09 PM »
Here, here! Well put Shecky!
Beware of people who dislike cats. Irish proverb

Cliffs are for climbing, that's why God gave us grappling hooks.  Constable B. Fraser, RCMP (Due South)

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
Here, here! Well put Shecky!

Yeah. Because it's never a question of what or how much education you have; it's how much learning you've done. One doesn't preclude the other, and one doesn't automatically entail the other, either. People who are good at what they do have learned exactly what they need to learn.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2011, 01:46:07 PM »
Exactly Shecky! I had a lot of bad experiences with plumbers and some good ones, and the good plumbers are treasures!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »
Well said Shecky!
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »
You should have seen the look on the chair of my committee's face when I told him that I was going to industry.

Dr Ray Stantz: Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've *worked* in the private sector. They expect results!

I've run into a few of this sort.  The Brilliant Learned Doctorate who could wax poetical about his brilliance for hours... but couldn't run a simple PCR to save his soul.  Or make microwave popcorn, come to think of it.  But he was actually a nice guy, if doofety.  His staff just had to be Johnny On The Spot in keeping him from actually touching anything in the lab and diplomatic enough to disaude him without actually saying "No, by God!  You'll ruin the whole wretched batch!"

There was one really Snob Nasty Academic I had a run in with, who pretty much hated veterans and made no bones about it... quite literally stated that veteran status should be considered just cause for barring students from even attending college so "decent people wouldn't have to be exposed to them."  Kipling pretty much had her in mind when he wrote Tommy Atkins. 

That one worked out all sorts of humorous when I paid a call on the  More Bigger Acemickeyer Dean of her department, who neither shared nor appreciated her attitude.  He told me to go to the student union for a while and come back after lunch to see him.  I later heard from what a lady friend who worked in the department offices that it was a one sided discussion conducted in ringing tones, the sort where all the staff in the deparmental offices at the time just stood still and listened with their Oh, Shit Face on.  The result of which was he personally re-graded all of my work and I jumped from an F to an A.  (He's actually a tough grader, I usually got C's and B's when I was in his class.  Her class was one of those Diploma Fluffers you take to fill a block.)  For the rest of the semester she was unfailingly polite and solicitious to the point where she wouldn't have said "crap" if I left one on her desk.  :o

But the majority of the eggheads I've met or personally worked with have been Good Eggs.  I had a real gem when I was studying fine arts.  His stated position was "I'm not here to teach you art.  I am here to teach you technical skills, and to possibly advise  on how to artistically express yourself as we see where your strengths and interests lie as well as what it is you actually desire to express."  He understood that One Doctrine Fits All doesn't do art or artists justice.   (He'd have spanked Clement Greenburg like a sassy little beyotch.)

(I've a bachelor's in business, minor in Parks and Recs of all things.  I once had an interest in the whole Bed and Breakfast sort of thing.  I got better.  I've also got the more than ample credits for an associates, probably a bachelors in both biotech and fine arts, if I ever bothered to put them all together at the same university.  And of course, I work in social services now, which has absolutely no relation to any of my academic training.)

Offline FireWorks

• Posty McPostington
  • On the lookout for minions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »
"Nothing wrong"? Are you kidding? A skilled, honest plumber is someone you hang on to like grim death. Like "our" mechanic shop - there's an Aamco two towns over that my wife and I will ALWAYS bring our cars to, even if it means waiting a little longer or paying more than at the bottom-dollar mechanics. Because they always do good work and they always stand behind their work (in the very rare event that it turns out that some of their work turned out not to be the real problem or whatever). And they are always up-front and honest - they tell you exactly what's wrong, what your options are, what it'll take for each option, everything. They may not be the cheapest in town, but day in and day out, you get the absolute best value for your money. Not to mention they're just plain good folks; they've helped me and my friends out in ways that go above and beyond what an auto mechanic is supposed to do, and they're pleasant people to boot. For example, I ran into the front-desk guy in the supermarket the other day. We stood in the aisle and chatted like fishwives for a while, catching up on families and friends.

And THAT is a treasure. People who scorn "mere laborers" suffer from severe rectocranial inversion, because they're the folks who make it possible for everyone to live in civilized comfort. And if they're good people, too? Priceless folks to know, both in terms of service and of quality people.
Yeah. Because it's never a question of what or how much education you have; it's how much learning you've done. One doesn't preclude the other, and one doesn't automatically entail the other, either. People who are good at what they do have learned exactly what they need to learn.
Beautiful!  ;D

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2011, 05:49:11 PM »
^Yup.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »
Shecky has such a way with words, he should be a linguist or sommat ;)
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline JessE

• Posty McPostington
  • I'd rather be a musician than a rockstar ~George H
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2011, 05:53:50 PM »
I'm graduating from high school in May, yay! I've finally spent 14/18ths of my life sitting at a desk being talked at, now I get to graduate and do at least 4 more years of that but in college....something's never change
*head desks*
at least my senior year is pretty easy, except my anatomy class, pretty much everything else is an elective, or band  ;D

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »
Shecky, I agree wholeheartedly.  I said what I did because it seemed to me, I could be wrong, that T.R.C.C. sounded a bit defensive or embarrassed by being a plumber.  I did not want him to be.
I was a carpenter at the studios and I stand in awe of craftsmen/laborers of any kind.
I think we're doing kids these days a disservice by making it seem that getting your hands dirty is low class or to be avoided.
PG - Oh the PHD mentality - we had one at my Jr.College - looked like he routinely slept in his clothes and I doubted whether he knew what was going on in the world.  But was, I'm sure, brilliant in his field.  They have book smarts not street or life smarts and those are widely different things.
Would have loved to have been in the office for the 'discussion'.  And good on the Dean.
Your fine arts teacher does indeed sound like a gem.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2011, 07:07:54 PM »
Hi PG. We had two of those specimens in the lab. They ruined more PCRs than I can tell and everybody hated work with them. They are nice boys...if they are not working. One is good with computers, though, so now he is doing programmes and a lot of theoretical things. It is going well for everyone. The other is still making coworkers miserable, as he insist in trying to do lab stuff.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)