Author Topic: Edumacation And Enlearnment  (Read 149777 times)

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Edumacation And Enlearnment
« Reply #225 on: April 03, 2012, 07:56:11 PM »
Were it not for the drastic increase in pay, I would say college isn't worth it.

I don't know if I'm just unlucky, but I hate dealing with this level of depression on a daily basis.  I'd rather be back on the farm, or the lumbermill.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »
I, on the other hand, absolutely loved college and have been going continuously since 2000, while working.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »
I, on the other hand, absolutely loved college and have been going continuously since 2000, while working.

I hate college, I like learning.  I think college would be better if I didn't have all the petty assignments to worry about, and if I didn't have to deal with so many people.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »
I understand what you mean. If you are just trying to check the block, I seriously recommend online courses. Fewer idiots, assignments more clearly laid out, you can get it done ahead of time if you like. That kind of thing.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »
I understand what you mean. If you are just trying to check the block, I seriously recommend online courses. Fewer idiots, assignments more clearly laid out, you can get it done ahead of time if you like. That kind of thing.

Sound advice, too bad I'm about a month away from graduating with my second degree.  :)  In the future I would love to take some creative writing courses, I think I'll do the online coursework for those.

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2012, 08:06:49 PM »

My wife got her business degree online, and I'm sorry to report that none of those advantages were present as a rule.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »
Interesting. I did my undergraduate all online. That was my experience. Where it was lacking was in actually teaching me anything.  But, it might have to do with the school and its online climate. Might be something to research if you go back for another degree.

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 03, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »
My wife got her business degree online, and I'm sorry to report that none of those advantages were present as a rule.

:(

Also, I remember when your post count was not much more than mine!  They grow up so fast these days.....

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »
I hate college, I like learning.  I think college would be better if I didn't have all the petty assignments to worry about, and if I didn't have to deal with so many people.

But college is fun!  A torturous amount of work (hello, 3-hour problem sets in Physics, Math, and Chemistry due tomorrow...), but if you choose interesting classes and find fun people to hang out/work with, homework parties become tolerable and sometimes even enjoyable.
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2012, 11:53:19 PM »
Tried college, got sick of it and dropped out.  Couldn't find a job, tried going back to college.  Got sick of it again, dropped out again, found a job as a floor man at Quad Graphics.  Now I need to go back to college again before I can get off the floor.

HOWEVER! I'll be changing my major from Liberal Studies (which bored me in hindsight) to Editing, and as long as I maintain a 3.0 QG will pay my tuition and books.  So that happens when I get a full time promotion.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

dairwendan

« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2012, 02:50:10 AM »
It is possible to get out of college what you put into it, intellectually, spiritually, personally, but there is no guarantee that you will get out of it what you put into it financially, and that was my point. 

Also, PLEASE beware of online colleges.  Many are not accredited by the proper educational institutions and you come out of them with a degree that does not say for instance, that you have a BA in history, but that you took all of the online classes at University of Whatsit in order to get what the University of Whatsit calls a BA in history. So please, do your reasearch and don't take the online college's word that they are 'accredited'. 

Offline OnlyElise

• Posty McPostington
  • Beware the Tiny Dancing Flower Person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2012, 02:54:16 AM »
Yes, what the previous poster said. I did my online schooling with Kaplan University, and it was actually more difficult than the brick-and-mortar school I attended right out of high school (which was a pretty prestigious school, too). You definitely get out of it what you put into it. I would recommend not doing an online school like University of Phoenix because of their group assignments. They make up half your grade, which means the bad students don't have to do any work at all because they know the good students in their group will carry them. A good way to tell if a school has a good reputation is by calling reputable brick and mortar schools and asking them about whether they'll accept someone with a Bachelors' from the online school into their Masters program.
She Who Must Be Obeyed. Or at least catered to, occasionally.

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 04, 2012, 03:04:46 AM »
A good way to tell if a school has a good reputation is by calling reputable brick and mortar schools and asking them about whether they'll accept someone with a Bachelors' from the online school into their Masters program.

Good point.

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 04, 2012, 04:25:19 AM »
But college is fun!  A torturous amount of work (hello, 3-hour problem sets in Physics, Math, and Chemistry due tomorrow...), but if you choose interesting classes and find fun people to hang out/work with, homework parties become tolerable and sometimes even enjoyable.
I just handed in a huge project (worth a lot!) with literally one minute to spare. I'm not feeling it. Why the hell am I doing post-grad?! I remembered how much I hate uni last year!

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 04, 2012, 06:36:46 AM »
I just handed in a huge project (worth a lot!) with literally one minute to spare. I'm not feeling it. Why the hell am I doing post-grad?! I remembered how much I hate uni last year!

Maybe it's because the professors are nicer to undergrads?  I dunno, even though we're always dying of work, I think most of my friends agree with the sentiment that college has been pretty awesome so far.  Although that might change next year, when we're no longer freshmen to be coddled.  :o
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM