Author Topic: A new tool for organising games  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
A new tool for organising games
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
Recently there was a link posted to an article Jim Butcher did for an author's website and after following it I poked around a bit and stumbled over this:

http://www.magicalwords.net/character-keeper/

It's a tool to track plots, setting, and characters for fantasy worlds - and when I saw it I thought "Hey, that could work to track game worlds as well".

Best of all, it's free.  Completely 100% free.

The feature list include:
    * Keep Characters. Create a new category and every character in a novel or story can kept in that category.
    * World Building World building can become a complex series of notes, keep them better organized.
    * Family Lineages Is your novel filled with clans, tribes or multiple families? Create a category for each group and then an entry for each character.
    * New Words Creating new words or your own dictionary? Make a new category that houses your new words.
    * Entire Novel Plots Enter an entire novel plot and keep it updated as you progress.
    * Story Ideas Keep snippets of story ideas or wonderful lines, incredible titles all right at your finger tips!
    * One-click pasting of your profile information.  One-click and you are ready to put your information into any word processor, blog or website.
    * Export your profile information. If you need all your snippets in another program, you can easily export all of your snippets out of Character Keeper!
    * Small and nimble. Character Keeper launches quick, lets you find your information fast, and lets you get back to what you were doing. No big, fat programs to slow down you or your computer.
    * Actively developed. We are constantly improving our little app, tailoring it to the needs of our customers.

I can see interesting "families/tribes" being set up - like "White Court Vampires", "The Eighth Street Gang", "Police in the Know" - and other game related factions.  I don't think it would hold character sheets well but it could link the characters (NPC and PC) to various plot elements - making them easier to track.

I haven't had time to poke around much in this, but so far it looks like a promising that's well worth the price (FREE!).

Richard
(Who has no connection to the website or the program)

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
Re: A new tool for organising games
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 03:51:50 AM »
Works fine in linux using wine.  Color scheme is a bit painful but I suppose I can deal.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:39:03 AM »
Cool, thanks for sharing Richard. I've been doing mine in a Wordpress blog but that's obviously a totally different sort of beast.

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:30:06 AM »
such tools are great for roleplaying. I'm using another one (Writers Cafe) for planning plots and campaigns for years - it works very good and help me staying organized (which is a great compel to me... ::))