Author Topic: New to DFRPG, understanding game mechanics  (Read 1846 times)

Offline kturock

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • CoH tribute toon
New to DFRPG, understanding game mechanics
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:15:13 PM »
Hi. I've new to DFRPG, but not gaming. I've played games & rpg's since 1980 when I started college. I've read probably 100's of games; rpg's minis, board, ccg's, tcg, MMO, computer and even created a couple of each. I've played beta rules, proposed rules, rule changes and worked on erratta. I've played diceless games, and games with pages of charts & rules.

I've never had a game make me reread the rules as much as DFRPG.
I want to run DFRPG for the locla group. I've read the Fudge rules from the website.
I understand the ladder system, assigning target numbers for rolls and that sid eof the mechanics.

What I'm not sure I completely have a handle on is aspects.

Let me list what I understand, and maybe I can get some examples and/or corrections.

Basics of DFRPG.

aspects: feats, edges & hindrances.
Used by players to spend fate points. Used by GM's to cause confrontation in the game.

fate points: used to modify dice rolls or give rerolls.
refresh: amount of fate points refilled a sessions.

Example, John has the aspect, looking for trouble.
As a Gm, I could use it when there's a problem and he happens to be in the area. The local LEO come to the scene, and see him that and automaticlly figure he's involved some how.
John could use it to give a reroll, or a bonus to a roll for a streetwise roll.

Yes, no?

Also, when a GM compels a character/player, does he give a fate point, to the player/character if the player/character acts/follows/does the compel?
I understand the player/character can spend 1 to not follow/do/act on the compel, right?

The rulebook is well written, as a read, but I think the examples could be better written. Too many times it uses jargon, without completely explaining example.

Offline CaptFisher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: New to DFRPG, understanding game mechanics
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:00:59 AM »
For the most part I think what you outlined was correct and yes if the storyteller compels an aspect he gives a fate point to the player. 

I am relatively new to the game myself and i find using aspects to be one of the both simplest and hardest parts of the system...but it gets to be so much fun when fate points are flying...

I think the biggest thing is that the system is based on making a story not on how the world works so its used for making a lot of drama.(the good kind)

Between maneuvers and declarations and consequences all the aspects that can come in to play is a single scene is amazing...
Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist, children know that monsters exist.
Fairy tales teach children that monsters, can be slain.

Offline Glendower

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 02:27:32 AM »
So here's how I compel an aspect.  I'll take an example from play.

Errol the Shaman has the Aspect "Smoldering Bruiser".  The scene is a black tie dinner party, and he's trying to blend in so that he can talk to his estranged ex-girlfriend.

I push forward the fate chip and say to the player... "You're giving off a Smoldering Bruiser vibe, and these sheltered rich folk are getting really nervous".  This is the compel. The Fate is sitting on the table, offered to the player.

The player then has a few choices.  He can take the fate and play up how he sticks out like a sore thumb, his aura of intimidation causing people to be terrified, and further estranging his girlfriend.  He can also spend one of his fate to refuse the compel, saying that he puts on a smile, changes his body language, and acts more like a big teddy bear than a large slavering grizzly. 

Now, be aware that the Compel is not the sole property of the GM.  Players can also self-compel, playing their aspects as a hinderance voluntarily, which would also win them fate points.  In the same situation, instead of the GM coming up with the situation, the player self Compels "Smouldering Bruiser", saying that Errol snarls at a Butler "What the hell are you looking at?" while cracking his knuckles. 

The end result is that the Compel is designed to encourage dramatic and problematic events to in a game session, using a reward system to create incentive for creating or going with said problems.  The big thing to remember is that the Aspects are chosen by the players, and these aspects tell the GM what the Player wants in terms of problems and conflict.  Bringing up situations that are some kind of compel to the character becomes really important. 

For example, you don't want to introduce a damsel in distress storyline unless a character has the aspect "Chivalry to a fault!" or "Sucker for the ladies" or "Big Brother to the Rescue". Without a compel, a player has less motivation to do something.  With a compel, players will go for it for two reasons, because of the fate point reward, and because they indicated with their aspects what they want to see in terms of conflict.

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:05:57 AM »
That seems correct to me with the slight addition that a character's aspects also reflect his back-story. If a character grew up on the street and tangled with cops on an almost daily basis it wouldn't make sense for him to have the aspect "Always help the cops".

I have also heard, though am not sure of this at all, that players can compel other players, but as I have said I'm not sure. I can't find it in the book (though I am fairly tired at the moment) one way or the other and I can't remember where I heard it. Hopefully someone with much more experience than I has more information on this subject.

Offline Glendower

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 02:27:47 PM »
Yes, player characters can compel other player characters (Page 107 - Compelling other Aspects).  Characters can compel other characters.  That being said, there needs to be a brief player discussion beforehand as to whether the player's characters know each other's aspects, or whether they have to find them out in social conflict. There's certain Empathy and Rapport trappings that are used to find out aspects, so those can be used in play to discover each other's aspects.

For example: Reza the White Court Wizard needs Errol to come in and help him with a fight, and he knows that one of Errol's Aspects is "Big Brother to the Rescue". Reza comes up to Errol and begs him to help him out against the big tough gangsters that also happen to be Red Court Infected.  Reza's player pushes forward a fate point from his own personal pool, telling Errol's player that he's compelling "Big Brother to the Rescue".  It then plays out like a normal compel, Errol's player either pays a fate point to resist the compel, or takes the fate point and engages in the compel.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
That seems correct to me with the slight addition that a character's aspects also reflect his back-story.
It is more accurate to say that Aspects reflect their character's narrative. They may reflect back story, or they may not. But they always show what the character's place in the story is, or at least one portion of how they fit the story.

Offline Glendower

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 05:04:06 PM »
It is more accurate to say that Aspects reflect their character's narrative. They may reflect back story, or they may not. But they always show what the character's place in the story is, or at least one portion of how they fit the story.

I agree! I also think that an aspect can be the part of the back story or narrative that the GM and the Player actually want to see cropping up while playing the game. 

These aspects offer a dense set of information that informs the entire game table what that character is all about, and what will motivate that character to do something.  The person playing that character uses these Aspects, as does the GM and the other players.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »
The original post seemed to be looking at character Aspects and there are some good responses to that. Did you have any problems with any of the other types of Aspects?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 04:49:58 AM »
Keep in mind that additionally an aspect can be invoked for effect, so the "White Council Wizard" can invoke to call up some council resources, the "Veteran Detective" can invoke to get a line on something shady, etc.

I have always seen the use of aspects as a lot like the game of go. Relatively easy to pick up, but remarkably difficult to master. :D