Author Topic: Weapons and the law  (Read 9138 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons and the law
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 01:49:38 AM »
I've got an "old school" brainlock about Glocks.  Reliable, sit real nice in my hand... but the "trigger only safety" bugs me.  The rational mind knows that "safety is all in the head," but I still like a manual safety on the gun or a decocking lever.  FN P9's my favored, decock and you can fire the first round double action, or manually cock the hammer back if time permits.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 02:32:32 AM »
I got a Hi Power or two laying around, but I carry cocked and locked, safety off. I just dont see the need for them.
I was raised with the finger is your safety school of thought

I practice drawing and flipping the safety off from the holster now and then, but it just seems like wasted time.
Those FN9s look purdy though (I LOVE Their 45ACP in the Earth Tone with the Red dot, that thing is sexy and the future of Pistols) , just looking for something to go with my glock 26 (gonna get a conversion barrel for the 22 so I can fire 9mm and 40)
Gonna get a Glock 27 one day so I can do the same, and give the 26 to my friend.

Back on topic. In Texas you can give or sell a firearm to someone if you know they are not a felon, drug addict, not here legally or going to use it for something illegal. So if I put an ad on craigslist and say Hey looking to sell XYZ for ABC amount, get an email from someone, meet them somewhere, and exchange gun and money, and thats it. All legal.

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2011, 04:47:58 AM »
I'm not familiar with gun laws in Germany, but if there is a heavy debate about them in Germany like there is here in the U.S I think that the GM could use that to make an epic social battle. Compel the PC to slip up and get arrested for carrying an illegal weapon, have the other PC's try to rally support for the guy, other groups get involved on both sides, and of course in the Dresden universe at least a few of those groups will be supernatural in nature and have some reason they are pushing one way or another. The PC's could run around prior to the case turning up evidence, festering out corruption, trying to gain support from different groups, getting into fights with thugs sent by one group or another, and all kinds of other stuff. Then in the court room the PC's would get called to the stand and do social battle with the opposing attorney, trying to put maneuvers on the jury to get them to vote one way or the other, maybe they get jumped in the bathroom and have to balance fighting effectively and fighting silently. I'm not sure how plausible this is and the GM would have to think of something for the PC who got arrested to do (have him make bail would be the easiest), but if the players are willing to suspend some disbeleif and roll with it I think it could result in an exiting and unique climax to a campaign.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2011, 12:04:36 PM »
Be a lot of work though.  To do it right, the GM will have to research not just the existing laws in Germany, but their court system as well as their governmental system, specifically what mechanisms exist to challange and change a pre-existing law, and what sociopolitical factions are involved.  Issues like that particular population's traditional cultural attitudes towards not just the individual issue, but also towards things like authority/vs individual rights will also come into play.

If the GM and his/her players are really, really into politics it could be interesting, but I know that in the US at least, overturning or implementing a drastic change in laws regarding fundamental rights generally requires a nationwide campaign that lasts for years or decades.

(Personaly, I like debating and just plain arguing politics with a pint in my hand, but for gaming, I want to be killing mosters and putting the smackdown on some Supernatural Big Bad.)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2011, 01:30:10 PM »
But...it would be cool if the Us supreme court were actually a group of badass monster hunters. I named a Shotgun Justice Scalia once.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »
Only if they ride motorcycles, with the song Desperado as their theme.

My Bushmaster M4 varient is named "Snuggledoodles." 

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2011, 03:02:28 PM »
Um, do you mean the Alice Cooper song or the Eagles' song - or do you mean another song all together?

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/desperado-lyrics-alice-cooper/aa79166552f7a49e48256c480008298f

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eagles/desperado.html

Personally I prefer Alice Cooper's one.

Richard

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »
Actually I think I made some song soup in my head.

The song I want is "Dead or alive" by Bon Jovi, because they all have to wear flappy coats and ride motorcycles.  And retired Justice John Paul Stevens gets to be a hologram that follows them around giving them advice on how to get to the next episode.