Author Topic: Solutions to nerf Fly  (Read 9848 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Re: Solutions to nerf Fly
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2011, 02:10:50 PM »
I dunno. Jetpack...?

"I zip towards the Evilcrapallistictm wizard at gondikulous speed in my shiny hi-tech jetpack!"
"He points a finger... and hexes your shiny hi-tech paperweight. You fall from the sky. How high did you say you were again?"

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2011, 02:18:46 PM »
"Can I roll my Athletics to crash land on top of the Evilcrapallistictm wizard? Or his lackeys?"

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2011, 03:34:07 PM »
I still don't understand the problem.

For a fate point used as a declaration that there is something high up and a maneuver using magic to get up there, a wizard can do the same thing as a character with fly... for no extra refresh spent.

So... ::shrug::
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2011, 08:54:47 PM »
Was going to try for an intelligent and convincing reply, but then I read this:

I really don't need to.  It's in the RAW.  Personally, I don't care if something in the RAW is balanced or even fair.  I just take it as a fact of life like gravity and deal with it.  If your players don't like it then house rule it otherwise.  If you don't like it and they do, deal or piss off your players and house rule it otherwise over their objections.

It seems that I've been wasting my time here. So I'm giving up.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2011, 11:30:45 PM »
All that means, Sancta, is that buzzard can't be convinced on this one... but I understand.

One note- people keep talking about how the ground-pounder gets screwed... and if he's Fists only, sure enough- he does.

But how often is he the only person in the fight? Usually there's a group.

So how often is a given party made up EXCLUSIVELY of fist-style ground-pounders? This is where team-work comes in. Sure, you can't hit the flyer- let your rifleman or wizard buddy handle him while you keep the minotaur off his arse.

If you are made up exclusively of ground-pounders, then that's on the party- their redundant, repeated bad. The GM is telling them it's time to get creative, or time to learn they should've been more flexible.

If your party is balanced, but the enemy is made exclusively of flyers, then that's on the GM- his bad for excluding one of the players at his table. Worst case scenario, the ground-pounder gets to earn a FP every round as a self-compel for being useless (if he doesn't have such an aspect, I'd, as GM, give him a scene-aspect to that effect; then ask him if he minds making a snacks run.)

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2011, 05:32:41 AM »
I'm wondering what possessed the GM to sick a flying adversary against a character with no means to fight back. I'd need some context on that one. Maybe he shouldn't be GM any more.

Now, give the flyboy an aspect about Arrogance that the PC can invoke to get him to come within striking distance and we be alright.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2011, 06:57:31 AM »
I'm wondering what possessed the GM to sick a flying adversary against a character with no means to fight back. I'd need some context on that one. Maybe he shouldn't be GM any more.

Now, give the flyboy an aspect about Arrogance that the PC can invoke to get him to come within striking distance and we be alright.

Indeed.

Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2011, 09:44:59 AM »
All that means, Sancta, is that buzzard can't be convinced on this one... but I understand.

Eh, I could be convinced if I actually saw it as something game-breaking;  I just don't.  So they can fly for a -1, so what?  For a -3 they can bend the fires of creation to their will.  I just completely and utterly fail to be impressed by Wings as a power.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »
I've said before, it's not gamebreaking. Just (probably) undercosted. You could knock a refresh off of any power in YS without breaking the game. But it'd be a mistake, I think.

It's possible the GM was expecting more creativity from the players than he got. A decent Intimidation skill for provocation or some FP spending would let a Fists guy fight a flyer, albeit still at a significant disadvantage.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2011, 10:16:45 PM »
Going to have to chalk this one up as a difference of opinion I guess.  I think we've argued it out thoroughly enough that if one of us were going to change our mind we would have already done it.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2011, 03:45:04 AM »
I...guess so?

But honestly, I'm not even sure if I can call that an argument. I'm not even sure that we disagree.

But whatever. This has gone on long enough, let's lay it to rest.