Author Topic: Whom do I give a Fate Point when I do an AOE?  (Read 4427 times)

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
  • I use this for magical purposes. Honestly!
    • View Profile
Whom do I give a Fate Point when I do an AOE?
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:51:13 PM »
Hello, this occurred several times in our sessions, the enemy would do an AOE of some sort, like a cloud of acid, and he would use 1 Fate Point to summon enough power.

The question is, who does that Fate Point go to? Our DM gave it to the only one that was damaged, but what if all of us gets damaged?
Does the enemy lose 1 FP and we each get 1 FP?

If the enemy uses one fate point, and we each use 1 FP to defend, does he lose 1 and gain 1 from each of us?
Frank Power: Picture
High Concept: "Emissary of the Crystal Dragon, Crystalax", Trouble: "A debt I will never afford to pay."
Aspects: "Modern-day Gladiator.", "Authority p

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Whom do I give a Fate Point when I do an AOE?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »
Nobody gets a FP.  The enemy might use a FP to make his control roll for the AOE spell but that FP just goes away.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 01:55:52 PM »
Fate points spent on Invoking your own Aspects go away when they're used. No one gets them.

Offline Veet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »
If you had invoked one of the PCs aspects to lower that persons defense roll against the AOE then that person would have gotten it, but if you invoked the NPCs own aspect to raise the attack power or whatever then it just goes away.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »
If you had invoked one of the PCs aspects to lower that persons defense roll against the AOE then that person would have gotten it, but if you invoked the NPCs own aspect to raise the attack power or whatever then it just goes away.

Invoking an Aspect never lowers a roll. You could reasonably rule that an area of effect type attack where the NPC only invoked the Aspect of one PC only got the bonus versus that PC, but the roll of the player for that PC would not change.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »

That's a compel, not an invoke. And you're right, compelling someone's aspect gives them the Fate Point.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 12:10:40 AM »
You don't really compel an aspect to lower a roll either. Compels are about story direction. So you might compel someone into a bad situation, but you wouldn't really want to compel them into a -2 on their defense roll.

if you invoke an NPC or PC's aspect to gain an advantage over them, that character does receive the FP (YS106).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:19:52 AM by noclue »

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:55:19 AM »
You don't really compel an aspect to lower a roll either. Compels are about story direction. So you might compel someone into a bad situation, but you wouldn't really want to compel them into a -2 on their defense roll.

if you invoke an NPC or PC's aspect to gain an advantage over them, that character does receive the FP (YS106).

Huh, I never noticed that! I always thought that compels got you Fate Points, but invokes didn't. You learn something new everyday!

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline Radijs

• Conversationalist
  • Fhtagn-Didley!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 11:37:26 AM »
Huh? Don't you tag aspects to increase or decrease a roll?

IE: My character's got a 'broken leg' aspect. Someone attacks the character he tags that aspect to lower my roll by 2. Does that mean the fate point goes to me?
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »

IE: My character's got a 'broken leg' aspect. Someone attacks the character he tags that aspect to lower my roll by 2. Does that mean the fate point goes to me?

No. If there is no fate point used, there is no fate point to give to anyone. If however the same aspect would be invoked after the initial tag, that would cost a fate point, which now would go to you.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »
Technically you'd tag the aspect to increase the defensive roll rather than trying to decrease the attack roll (or vice versa).  The net result isn't much different from decreasing a roll but, canonically, aspects always give a +2 bonus when invoked / tagged. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »

A tag is nothing more than a free invoke, usable once. Once it's been tagged, you may invoke it as normal.

In you example, someone tags your broken leg aspect, and either gets a +2 or a reroll against you. Since it's a tag, no Fate Point was spent, so no FP changes hands. If someone did it to you a second time, that would cost them a FP, which would be given to you!

-EF
Twitter
My Blog

Offline Khalis231

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »
A tag is nothing more than a free invoke, usable once. Once it's been tagged, you may invoke it as normal.

In you example, someone tags your broken leg aspect, and either gets a +2 or a reroll against you. Since it's a tag, no Fate Point was spent, so no FP changes hands. If someone did it to you a second time, that would cost them a FP, which would be given to you!

-EF

Ok, I thought I had a handle on this, but now I'm not so sure. I thought that the target never received a FP from a normal tag/invoke, and that the FP only changed hands during an invoke-for-effect. Reading back through the rules, it looks like the target does receive a FP from a regular invoke. Interesting.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 08:24:21 PM »
FAte's pretty good about making you pay for stuff.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 02:38:15 AM »
Ok, I thought I had a handle on this, but now I'm not so sure. I thought that the target never received a FP from a normal tag/invoke, and that the FP only changed hands during an invoke-for-effect. Reading back through the rules, it looks like the target does receive a FP from a regular invoke. Interesting.

You never receive a FP for a tag because tags are free. No Fate Point necessary! Invokes, however, cost a FP, and per YS106, any invoke on someone else's aspect gives them the FP.

-EF
Twitter
My Blog