Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 223653 times)

Offline john4200

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #420 on: August 23, 2011, 03:43:13 AM »
...magical feet.

Magical feet, don't fail me now!

Harry does often think about how good he is at running fast...

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:45:23 AM by john4200 »

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 23, 2011, 05:43:21 AM »

When he animated the T-rex in dead beat, he told Ramirez that is just hard work, not complicated. Again we can argue that it is just Harry being modest, but no one other then Ramirez compliment it, and Ramirez is just a young wizard with limited amount of magical muscle. He do not have enough expirience to rate that feet and due to his own limited amount of strength, he might think that Harry's feet in animating the T-rex is impressive because it is beyond his own strength.

I seem to recall Luccio was impressed as well, if also slightly disgusted by the use of necromancy.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline King Shisa

• Posty McPostington
  • Almost good enough... but not quite
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 26, 2011, 02:34:35 AM »
I'm sure this was brought up before, but can someone please refresh me... did we get to see what happened to Bob following his fight with the Anti-Bob? For the life of me I can't seem to recall any mention of him after Harry escapes the Nevernever.
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.

Offline uncanny

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 26, 2011, 08:08:34 AM »
I'm sure this was brought up before, but can someone please refresh me... did we get to see what happened to Bob following his fight with the Anti-Bob? For the life of me I can't seem to recall any mention of him after Harry escapes the Nevernever.
No.. we don't get to see what happens.  Which kinda sucked for me, I liked Bob..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 26, 2011, 08:52:33 AM »
No.. we don't get to see what happens.  Which kinda sucked for me, I liked Bob..
Even worse. When asked Jim said he was not going to tell us. Which probably means that he survived with interesting complications....
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Goodknight

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 28, 2011, 05:43:08 AM »

If we say he is good with creating enchanted items: armored coat, energy rings etc, Well, in Death mask, when Susan ask him why he do not carry enchanted items like the rope he use to tie Susan, he said he is not good enough. At the same time, we find out in White knight that Ramirez, who approximately the same age as Harry in Death mask, perhaps even younger, can make a shield glove with the principle of entropy which probably is as good as any of Harry shield bracelet before White knight.

Well, it never explicitly mentioned that Ramirez created it (I think).  Furthermore, assuming that Ramirez's bracelet only scatters physical objects, it wouldn't do diddly against sound, light, fire, force, etc. that Dresden's new shield can block.  AKA:Ramirez's shield has the same effects as Harry's original one.

Offline Kalam

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 28, 2011, 05:29:53 PM »
To go on from the quote below and from a few other points, i think we all need to remember that harry is at the beginning of his life as a wizard, and in most cases other wizards consider him to be a child, however that being said, i beleive they also FEAR him - i disagree with the earlier comment that almost all of the white council could defeat him through skill rather than raw power, because as we read the books, harry grows and becomes more than what he was, he created little chicago, and that in itsell according to bob was a massive acheivement for any wizard, he is mostly self taught and he learns most of that in the thick of battle, he is self depricating also so when he talks about how "good" he is, i actually beleive he sells himself short.

he has the leansidhe as a body guard and the white council have had cause to end him more than once and they havent.

his birth apparently is meant to give him power over the outsiders, perhaps the only mortal man that does, so he is valuable.

personally i beleive we dont know nothing yet as to where his main powers lie, but he is a combat wizard through and through, however his skill at making items is rapidly improving.

(furthermore to that note about items he creates, notice that they get better because his old one failed, and he put more thought into the different types of incidents he would likely be subject to ergo, the only thing in his way, his the limits he puts upon his own psyche)

keep in mind that harry is a lonely man, he likes his lonliness like a companion, but that has to breed self consiousness from him

The problem about Harry's particular talent is that rarely he got somebody in the book other then himself who rated his skill. And if there is, it is rarely someone with enough credibility.

Harry said he is good with Thaumaturgy but that is just his own opinion and it can be argued that he just think himself good in those area because he is been doing that for years. No particular gifted talent there.

If we say he is good with creating enchanted items: armored coat, energy rings etc, Well, in Death mask, when Susan ask him why he do not carry enchanted items like the rope he use to tie Susan, he said he is not good enough. At the same time, we find out in White knight that Ramirez, who approximately the same age as Harry in Death mask, perhaps even younger, can make a shield glove with the principle of entropy which probably is as good as any of Harry shield bracelet before White knight.

When he animated the T-rex in dead beat, he told Ramirez that is just hard work, not complicated. Again we can argue that it is just Harry being modest, but no one other then Ramirez compliment it, and Ramirez is just a young wizard with limited amount of magical muscle. He do not have enough expirience to rate that feet and due to his own limited amount of strength, he might think that Harry's feet in animating the T-rex is impressive because it is beyond his own strength.

If we say that his massive strength is a skill by itself, well, nothing to be argue there. That is only a matter of oppinion.

Other then Bob's comment in Proven Guilty about Harry having a gift creating things like 'Little Chicago, we do not have anyone with significant level of magical expirience compliment Harry on a particular magical feet.

Offline pr1701d

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 31, 2011, 12:39:28 AM »
Presumably right away, but GS did the time skip thing to start, so it might have done it again.  Dresden's revival is in the hands of 3 nigh on immortals: Mab, Uriel, and Demonreach.  A month or a year is all relative to them.

Dresden's return is on a timetable due to the approaching summer solstice, Mab has held winter in Chicago for this but once the summer solstice comes, the Summer Queen would force Mab out.   Afterwards, Mab can play time games with Harry in the NN.

Offline pr1701d

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 31, 2011, 12:54:36 AM »
I keep wondering about what Harry's standing with the Council is going to be when he returns. He was officially dead for months, his apprentice is an outlaw (though she's apparently not a top priority for the Wardens) and there's no way the Council doesn't/won't know about the Winter Knight gig. Harry Dresden- Outlaw Sorceror?

Offically dead?   There was no body, he was missing and perhaps presumed dead by most of his friends...but there was no "Official" decision he was dead.  His friends held an informal graveside gathering.   If the white council went looking for him, they would either find his body at Demonreach or more likely be blocked in their search by Mab / Demonreach / Uriel.   No reason to assume Harry is the first wizard to go missing for a few months and turn up again.

Harry's position as Winter Knight will probably strengthen his position with the White Council, the council might not like it but they won't go against Mab without good reason.   Now, Harry is still required to comply with the White Council's laws of magic even while working for Mab.. that will cause some conflict I'm sure.   The White Council won't trust him as Winter Knight, but they didn't trust him before anyway.

Offline laura_be

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 31, 2011, 03:07:30 AM »
Because somewhere it was mentioned that the Council feared Harry. Here's my take on it :)

Personally, I think most people in the White Council could beat Harry if it was about raw power or skill, or both combined. You don't live more than 100 without learning a lot, and you don't make it to the White Council without being a badass in some form. That said, I think what Harry is, is well connected (Mab, his godmother, etc.). And having connections is important, it has save him more than once.

I think what the Council fears about him is not his raw magical power, is his personality. And that he's like a child with matches. I mean, think about it, aren't you scared when you see that? A child playing with matches will hurt himself, his little friends playing with him and he might probably set the house on fire. If they fear something about him, I think that is it.
Somebody please ask Jim in the next Q&A? (since I probably won't ever get to): Murphy's role in the story, has it been planned since the beginning or has it evolved naturally over the course of the series? Is her future planned now?

DV laura_be V1.0 YR4 BK+ JB TH++ WG MC---- SH(Murphy+++++) TT--

Offline john4200

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 31, 2011, 04:26:16 AM »
laura_be:

Did you mean the SENIOR Council (seven)? Because there are hundreds of members of the White Council, and the majority of them are probably NOT a match for Harry.

Offline laura_be

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 31, 2011, 05:12:15 AM »
laura_be:

Did you mean the SENIOR Council (seven)? Because there are hundreds of members of the White Council, and the majority of them are probably NOT a match for Harry.

Yeah, I was thinking about them when I wrote that, not the whole Council, 'cause you know, there's all kinds of wizards there, though Harry was apparently the youngest ever accepted until the vampire war. But yeah, the Senior is the key word.
Somebody please ask Jim in the next Q&A? (since I probably won't ever get to): Murphy's role in the story, has it been planned since the beginning or has it evolved naturally over the course of the series? Is her future planned now?

DV laura_be V1.0 YR4 BK+ JB TH++ WG MC---- SH(Murphy+++++) TT--

Offline HellsBells

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 31, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »
Just a thought,
This disease that seems to have affected a few of the Sidhe, especially the more powerful ones.
What if its turning them more human, as Maeve expressed fear of in Proven Guilty.
Maybe the one affected by it can lie now?
Real Goths Dont Wear Black, They Sack Rome...
Quantum Materiae Materietur Marmota Monax Si Marmota Monax Materiam Possit Materiari?

Offline Quester

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 31, 2011, 07:26:19 PM »
There is no diease. Mab is Pissed off and Lea was given a "traitorious gift".
I won’t disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.

No matter where you go, There you are.

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 01, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »
To go on from the quote below and from a few other points, i think we all need to remember that harry is at the beginning of his life as a wizard, and in most cases other wizards consider him to be a child, however that being said, i beleive they also FEAR him - i disagree with the earlier comment that almost all of the white council could defeat him through skill rather than raw power, because as we read the books, harry grows and becomes more than what he was, he created little chicago, and that in itsell according to bob was a massive acheivement for any wizard, he is mostly self taught and he learns most of that in the thick of battle, he is self depricating also so when he talks about how "good" he is, i actually beleive he sells himself short.

he has the leansidhe as a body guard and the white council have had cause to end him more than once and they havent.

his birth apparently is meant to give him power over the outsiders, perhaps the only mortal man that does, so he is valuable.

personally i beleive we dont know nothing yet as to where his main powers lie, but he is a combat wizard through and through, however his skill at making items is rapidly improving.

(furthermore to that note about items he creates, notice that they get better because his old one failed, and he put more thought into the different types of incidents he would likely be subject to ergo, the only thing in his way, his the limits he puts upon his own psyche)

keep in mind that harry is a lonely man, he likes his lonliness like a companion, but that has to breed self consiousness from him

That is exactly what I meant. Most of time, Harry only get rated by himself. You can argue that he is self deprecating but it is also possible that he knows what he is talking about. Anyway, we cannot know for sure.

If only Morgan have ever grunted in approval (Hell will froze over first) when seeing Harry do some battle magic or If for example, the Merlin compliment Harry (Which would happened one day after Morgan grunted in approval) when Harry do something magical then we would have something to work with.

As for creating magical items, what I mean is, If Ramirez, at the age he is could already make items that equal or maybe surpass Harry's creation before white knight, when Harry is approximately around Ramirez's age then that means Harry's talent in that particular area is not phenomenal. Not like  Molly who can make veil on insting.

I personally thinks that Harry is a rather lazy wizard. He would not push himself to greater heights of power. Either because he is under-motivated or because he is afraid to have that much power. He only makes significant improvement after: his girlfriend becomes half turn, His house got busted a couple of times, he nearly died several times, being dragoon into joining the warden and when his daughter got captured. Things like that. He could do it if he makes the effort, but he does not seem to be a self motivated guy when it comes to magical achievement.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.