Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 222882 times)

Offline Taylor0401

• Participant
  • Oh the things a Marine will do for a Pop-Tart...
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2011, 02:16:01 PM »
Maybe I'm just not remembering, but has there been any mention in the DV about "namers"?  I had thought that was mostly a Rothfuss idea.  I could see myself getting on board with the idea of Harry having some sort of affinity with names, but as far as I can remember there hasn't been any real mention of it so far.  Not until Uriel's seemingly overreaction to being called Uri.  Which I still think might just be due to removing "of God" from his name.  He may have just taken it as being brought down to the level of the Fallen, but that's probably reaching.

Offline aynatal2000

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »
 Why is it that everyone forgets that the Sidhe can lie.... through the omission of fact, through obfuscation and through sheer enjoyment of twisting up  the English language? Through confusion and the ability to utterly bewilder a person so much so that  they make a choice based on a lie?That is what Uriel's 7 words are - to remind Harry ; no matter what Mab says she will always omit something and it is Harry's choice that will bind him.Remember Fix and Summer and how they gained Harry's aid once
 The Harry that made the pact with Mab is a very different Harry than the one in Ghost Story.Through Molly's mental exercise on his part,Harry has been given trials by fire that he would have done differently if he remembered himself and all his machinations in Changes.By having Kincaid kill him, by having his meeting with Murphy's dad, by having  a small hope/suspicion of his finally given breath ( why aren't mommy and daddy's shade about? Why haven't I met with them... they are dead; right?)By  seeing his friends cope and the Justice league set upon this is a different Harry - not the let the world burn man at all: not the early monster.
 As the Winter Knight  he will grow more powerful, gain more allies and insight.Uriel has not abandoned him.Mouse is still in his house( guarding lil Maggie at the Carpenter's) and mom...well I don't think he has lost the medallion, I think it is within.If not my money is on Lea.

Offline Alablast

• Seriously?
  • Wheeee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2011, 03:59:58 PM »
I'm going to go back and read Changes now, but my biggest question with this is... why didn't Uriel say something back when Harry called him the first time?  Harry summoned Uriel after the Fallen had shown up and done it's thing, so he could have fixed it right then and there.  The only thing he mentioned was to consider Odin's words carefully, but I don't see how it would have made any difference (though I could just not be remembering everything).
"There are other ways!"
"Then you should have explored them before you tore our people apart!!"

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
Maybe I'm just not remembering, but has there been any mention in the DV about "namers"?  I had thought that was mostly a Rothfuss idea.  I could see myself getting on board with the idea of Harry having some sort of affinity with names, but as far as I can remember there hasn't been any real mention of it so far.  Not until Uriel's seemingly overreaction to being called Uri.  Which I still think might just be due to removing "of God" from his name.  He may have just taken it as being brought down to the level of the Fallen, but that's probably reaching.

I think the  "of God" part would be very important to Uriel so i understand his reaction. However, Harry also mentioned that Uriel looked... frightened.

I'm going to go back and read Changes now, but my biggest question with this is... why didn't Uriel say something back when Harry called him the first time?  Harry summoned Uriel after the Fallen had shown up and done it's thing, so he could have fixed it right then and there.  The only thing he mentioned was to consider Odin's words carefully, but I don't see how it would have made any difference (though I could just not be remembering everything).

Uhhhh... maybe he needed time to plan out how he was gonna balance the situation. If really all he could do was whisper seven words, i dont think any seven words could have really repaired the damage at the time.
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac

Offline Me Grimlock King

• Conversationalist
  • *Me, Grimlock, no bozo. Me king! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »
Wow, just finished!  Unbelievable book!

Favorite two scenes both from Molly.  

"So, you've finally been inside me.  I feel like I should be offering you a cigarette."

That and the idea of a Scottish accented Molly.  Just picturing that cracked me up.

Oh and I literally got up and walked away from the book when Molly said she could find out who Harry was using to kill himself.  I was like whoooooooaaaaaaaaaaa.  Had to get up and refill my water.
Magic, motherf*cker.

Offline Me Grimlock King

• Conversationalist
  • *Me, Grimlock, no bozo. Me king! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2011, 04:26:27 PM »
Consider the whispering Fallen...

In previous stories, it's been mentioned that the Knights of the Cross are the countering agent to the Denarians. Since the Denarians are capable of choosing to relinquish their coins, they are still free-willed agents. I don't see how, should one of the Nickelheads have chosen to whisper a lie to Harry, it could be considered "cheating".

There are other Fallen Angels, though...one who is a great deal more powerful than Nicodemus and his crew, and Harry has suspected that That One has been cheating for some time now.

"Pleased to meet you...won't you guess my name?"

Umm, reading this I assumed he meant Lucifer...right?  I know other people said He Who Walks Behind.
Magic, motherf*cker.

Offline Bones

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2011, 04:28:30 PM »
Well that was an experience!   :D

I'm sorry I haven't read the thread yet, but I'm just going to list all the things that hit me.

-- Lea seems to be Harry's best ally in the world of the Bigs.

-- Kincaid.  Hmmm.  I'll have to reread Changes, but it by the time Harry called him from the church he'd already called to talk to Ivy and ticked Kincaid off for pressuring her. So, it seems maybe Kincaid thought Harry was calling him in as backup for whatever he needed Ivy's info for.  Also, in the phone call Harry intro'd himself as "Dresden" (IIRC) and Kincaid came back with "Harry". I don't know why that matters to me, but it seems more in character for Kincaid to call Harry by his last name. Calling him by his first name suggests friendship or some kind of boundary crossed.

-- So ... the being in the cemetery was Demonreach? He was the one telling Lea not to tell Harry?

-- Fitz -- what's his ongoing role? I think he was introduced pretty thoroughly for the relatively small part he played in the story. Will he be brought into the Chicago Alliance?

-- What was Marcone doing in Italy?

Congrats to those people who stuck with the spec that Harry had himself killed. I abandoned it early on. I bow to your resolve.  ;D

Offline AnnatarLotW

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2011, 04:30:53 PM »

This makes me think two things:

1. I knew the "el" ending was important and related to God, but that makes me wonder why Lasciel still uses the "el" tag on her name.
2. If Harry removing the "el" tag from Uriel's name would have had a negative effect on Uriel, as is theorized above, what effect did Harry renaming Lasciel's shadow "Lash" have on her?

Before you reply, please remember I'm theorizing further based on the quoted theory.

Offline omfgitsbacon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »
This makes me think two things:

1. I knew the "el" ending was important and related to God, but that makes me wonder why Lasciel still uses the "el" tag on her name.
2. If Harry removing the "el" tag from Uriel's name would have had a negative effect on Uriel, as is theorized above, what effect did Harry renaming Lasciel's shadow "Lash" have on her?

Before you reply, please remember I'm theorizing further based on the quoted theory.

Maybe its not as much of a direct effect as if its an indirect effect ?  Maybe shadows arent the same as the original being. I mean Lash, was influenced by Harry, something that hasn ever been seen before in the Denarian possessing people thing. Similiar to how people say Shades are memories of the people who died but Are Not the actual person themselves. Working off that, its possible that shades/shadows dont have a true name to be referred too. Im going to assume that if the true lasciel was haunting Harry, then there would be much more consenquences with Harry giving her a nickname. Though I really doubt he would care, he will just laugh at her anyway. Plus shes a Fallen Angel, they are not associated with God anymore are they?

Offline john4200

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2011, 07:31:59 PM »
On a sidenote: Any thoughts on the parasite mentioned by Demonreach at the end of the Book?

I think it just meant the tree. To Demonreach, the plants, trees, and animals on the island are parasites living on Demonreach/Demonreach's territory.

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2011, 07:40:39 PM »
^ i don't know if i can buy that seein as Demonreach made the distinction between Here (the island) providing nourishment and the parasite providing the blood flow. So far i've read Lash or his mom. I'm leanin more towards Lash unless his amulet has something to do with the situation.

Edit: Did anyone else think it odd that Harry never really described what Molly looked like under his Sight? He usually goes to great lengths to describe the things he sees, but this time he just says that he see's her with her eyes slightly out of focus
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:47:48 PM by JinElusion »
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac

Offline Glorificus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
So I read about Harry being painless, and I wondered - when Mab healed him to fight the Red King, was anything about his hand mentioned? I have Changes and can look, but I know you guys with near-eidetic memories might be faster.

Also, I remember the speculation that Kincaid did the deed, and always dismissed it as being too obvious. Obviously, it was so obvious for a reason.

Fabulous book!!!
What if pigs flew around on the backs of sparkly vampires?

The best thing about my faerie godmother is that the creepy just keeps on coming. p. 273

Offline john4200

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2011, 08:07:56 PM »
^ i don't know if i can buy that seein as Demonreach made the distinction between Here (the island) providing nourishment and the parasite providing the blood flow. So far i've read Lash or his mom. I'm leanin more towards Lash unless his amulet has something to do with the situation.

No, the simplest explanation is usually the best. Look at how Demonreach talks. It uses odd words for things. It would not sound right if Demonreach called it a "tree". Parasite is the sort of odd word Demonreach would use to refer to the tree.

And the distinction you refer to is hardly important. My body digests food and my parasites aid in the digestion process. Just two different ways of referring to a process at different levels.

Offline rose29206

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2011, 08:10:49 PM »
I finished reading last night and had to squee into my pillow multiple times before I could get to anywhere near sleep.  :D It started out a little slow for me, but it kept picking up the pace, and by the time Harry and Bob have their convo in chapter 30-something ... ah, just kept getting better!

So, at the end there with Molly and Corpsetaker, when Corpsetaker puts a bullet into the back of Harry's head: I can only imagine how that must have seemed to Molly under her veil. There's Harry again, and he's just been re-killed in front of her eyes. Might have something to do with the fury she directs at Corpsetaker right after that.

Also, people keep saying they thought Murphy was annoying, etc., but I feel like it fits with the vibe leftover from Aftermath. I do wonder, though, whether Harry's speculation about whether Kincaid is *ahem* comforting her is truth or not. How does that jive with Murphy's feelings for Harry? Also, wondering whether Ivy fired him, or what her reaction was ... assuming she knows? I wouldn't think sth that big would be hidden from her.

Moreover, I'm just wondering what Harry's role in Chicago will be from now on ... how does Winter Knight/Protector of Chicago mesh? And what will Molly's new role be ... is she going to continue being the Ragged Lady? And once Harry's back ... the White Council has been hunting Molly, and I would say it's a safe bet that she's broken the Laws in their eyes, so are they going to go all Doom-of-Damocles-Smack Down on Harry? Or do they just look the other way and let the apprenticeship continue? Even if they can't really afford to lose him (again), I somehow don't think that would stop them from testing out one of Luccio's swords on him if they do believe he or Molly has broken Laws ... if they're even able to, due to his whole Winter Knight Status. Does Winter Knight trump Warden status for Harry?

Sorry for rambling ... so many things I want clarified! Also, has anyone heard whether Cold Days will follow the April or July release date schedule (assuming it isn't pushed back any more)? I'd think July, but I would love April ... When will we be getting a summary blurb?  ;D
Harry Lives.

Offline itari

• Conversationalist
  • lost and delirious
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2011, 08:20:02 PM »
My body digests food and my parasites aid in the digestion process.
If they aid you, they aren't parasites ;)

So I read about Harry being painless, and I wondered - when Mab healed him to fight the Red King, was anything about his hand mentioned? I have Changes and can look, but I know you guys with near-eidetic memories might be faster.
Mab digs scars :D

#101 “When Queen Mab heals Harry to become the Winter Knight does she also heal his burned hand?”
No.
Mab digs scars.