Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 223343 times)

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #600 on: August 13, 2012, 01:01:48 AM »
No one got an interactive goodbye moment with Harry other than Mouse, because only Mouse could see him. Even Mort couldn't see him once Uriel pulled him out of Molly's mind. (Which I think says something important about Mouse, since he could see Harry, even when a major-league ectomancer couldn't.)
i wasn't surprised.  Mouse cowed Lea, and for all his power in GS, I don't know if Mort shows up on her radar. 

Regardless, though, Thomas did get seriously screwed over in Ghost Story. I'd bet that'll be a big issue between him and Harry in the future. He got screwed over in Changes, by not being warned about Harry's suicide arrangement, and he got screwed over even worse in Ghost Story, when Harry didn't visit him or have the chance to drop by and explain everything, or say goodbye. That's the kind of thing that could hurt a close family member's feelings.
definitely screwed, but it was also well explained in the story.  Thomas wasn't out and about in the world, drowning in his misplaced guilt.  Harry was on a deadline, and once he got moving, he didn't have time for sight seeing, and Thomas wouldn't have been able to see him at the end, anyway.

Hopefully, realizing how human he still is (by nature of his grief for the perceived loss of Harry) and Justine's solution to their problem will help him recover from what happened to him in TC.  He could easily have let it push him over into letting his Demon win.

As for Michael-- well, of everyone Harry knows, Michael is the one best able to deal with death, imho. I don't think Michael really needed a visitation from a ghostly Harry to be okay with how things turned out.

None of that ruined the book for me, though. I just assume that it will be handled at some future point in the series.
[/quote]

Offline Druss75

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 18, 2012, 12:02:13 AM »
First time poster, got into the series sometime last year.

I figure Ghost Story was the best way to explain a raise in stakes for Harry. He's been growing in power steadily and at this point, given his own natural ability and the gifts of Mab, he would take out most of his own rogues gallery fairly easily.

Heck, even Murph got an upgrade of sorts, and his friends are a far more cohesive unit that they were before he died.

My question is, just how much are the stakes raised? I mean, he went from answering to the Council to answering to a HEAVY HITTER. As in, Mab walks into a fight and the fight is done...totally.

Don't know if Dresden is gonna use pre-existing myth as the framework for his next set of villains, or if he's gonna come up for something totally brutal and cruel on his own.

Offline Brandoch Daha

• Participant
  • Wile E Coyote.....SUPER genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 06, 2012, 11:36:31 PM »
First time poster, got into the series sometime last year.

Druss75:Welcome to the Forum. I've been Lurking about for a year or so but don't post too often. Waiting for the new DF book. I haven't read any of the pre-release stuff but I plan on wearing Gortex when I do. It's gonna be a cold day in hell.
From his belt hung a sword, narrow of blade and keen, the hilt rough with beryls and black diamonds.
And none can surpass Lord Brandoch Daha in feats of arms.

Offline dcinti

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 08, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »
Seeing as this is an older page, some or a lot of you may not read this post. I am going to give this a try anyway, so Ghost story left me speechless but also left out considering Harry is not around now to help in the fight with his friends and family. Yes he becomes the Winter Knight, but I never thought he would chose to leave it like this. He always had a knack for changing things before, why not now? I guess I have to read Cold Days now to find out more. I love the whole series thus far, but this one left me wondering.

Offline vietnamabc

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 02, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
Finished the book, but 1 thing I wonder is why in the end, Uriel did not take Harry to see people outside Chicago like Ebenezar, Elaine or Carlos, Luccio? Is his favor limited to Chicago or is there any other factors?

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 02, 2014, 03:47:02 PM »
Uriel only took Harry to where Harry wanted to go. He hadn't planned on taking Harry anywhere, except Harry insisted. After Harry made sure Molly, Karrin and the others were going to survive, Harry couldn't rest until he saw his brother. After seeing that Thomas would survive as well, Uriel took Harry to see his daughter.

Basically, Harry, thinking he was dead for good, wouldn't have been able to rest if he thought those he care about were hurting because of him. I mean, they were, but he saw each of them surviving on their own. That was enough.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline taishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 24, 2015, 03:29:01 AM »
Is there a summary of what you guys learned? I am reading through GS right now and I have a ton of questions I am writing down, but I really don't want to have to weed through 41 pages to see if you guys touched on any or have any concrete answers :P