Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 223412 times)

Offline SkinsFanVJ

• Participant
  • 6/8/07 - Popped my Dresden Cherry!!
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Ghost Story Book Club!!  This is intended to allow us to theorize and discuss as we read through Ghost Story.   Discuss whats happened and how amazing it is.  Discuss what you think is happening in the current set of chapters.  Or even theorize about what may be about to happen.  

The rules are simple...
You can discuss anything you want about Ghost Story, so long as it does not exceed the chapter limit set for this particular thread.  

Chapter Limit -- NONE - DISCUSS EVERYTHING GHOST STORY AND BEYOOONNNNDDD!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:04:56 PM by SkinsFanVJ »

Offline PsionicFox

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »
Finished the book last night, and may I say: DAYUM!
I just KNEW that whoever killed Harry had to be good, but I never expected it to be himself. Holy suit that was awesome! That whole thing was a setup. you could have called that book: How I Narrowly Avoided Becoming A Monster.

But that wouldn't have fitted in with the series' naming conventions.

Offline EndlessKng

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:03:51 PM »
Several people actually predicted that Dresden arranged what happened, though they ran into difficulty with the fact that Mab would've known about such treachery.

And now we know not only how it happened, but that he actually IMPRESSED Mab by doing so.  That's the part that blows my mind.

Offline b-radwick

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:11:37 PM »
I just KNEW that whoever killed Harry had to be good, but I never expected it to be himself.

Toward the middle of the book, I started to wonder if it had maybe been Thomas, acting through prearranged orders from Harry that if he should ever run risk of becoming a monster, to take him out.

Offline ozzbazz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:38:47 AM »
I like the fact that lea states that Harry was a damn sight more powerful than kincaid...

I can't wait for the reactions when they all find out he is alive... would love to be a fly on the wall of the fomor headquarters as they collectivel cry and run screaming out of chicago...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:09:12 AM by ozzbazz »

Offline Tempus Corvus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 12:52:13 AM »
Just finished the book and...

BUTCHER YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD! I READ YOUR BOOK!
My Dresden Files Purity Rating is 40%. It'd be higher if I could find the time to actually play the DFRPG.

Offline Tim2.0

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 12:56:38 AM »
just finished and yes the harry molly kincaid thing was quite interesting, what got me is how squirrelly and sneaky Uriel apparently is

Offline fourthsword

• Lurker
  • The mythic, rarely seen "Nerd-Jock" - We do exist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 01:24:18 AM »
This is my first post here; Have been lurking on the forums for a good while now.  After having devoured Ghost Story in one sitting, I figured today would be a good time to become a participant.  :)  Best part of the book for me what getting to watch the "Justice League" stuff come together in the wake of Harry's absence.  Just Awesome!!!  Lots of questions answered, but true to JB's forte; in the wake of the answers comes more questions!
An English Major with a love for the Dresdenverse

Offline evandy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 01:44:47 AM »
As expected, a fabulous book.  Only two points stick out in my head:

#1:  What's this?  Harry, the wizard, stopping to THINK??   I don't think there is any faster, better, or surer way than that for Harry to power-up fast at this point.  As Harry would say: About. Freaking. Time.
#2: Jim Butcher is a tortuous man.  We FINALLY think that we'll start finding out about Demonreach, and Mab whisks Harry away to court.

Any bets on how many more books before Murphy officially picks up that sword?  She obviously needs some shrink-work first, but...

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 02:38:54 AM »
Hello everyone, I wonder all of you feel about this book compared to the other dresden books. I personnally feel this book is a tad sad compared to the others. Usually it is a bit more cheerful in the story. There a lot of changes but being dead seems to make Harry a little wiser, older, less impulsive, less of a winer but a little less fun and funny. It is still a very very good book, though.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline heman101

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 04:00:00 AM »
what do you guys think about the ending? Some reason it didn't leave me excited for the next book. I'm glad he's alive and all back as the winter knight but what's the whole ordeal of the demonreach and mab? It barely left room for a suspense moment but saying stuff has to be done for the court. Seems like it could of ended in a more dramatic mind thinking matter then that.

Offline Aluroon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 04:03:48 AM »
I can't wait for the reactions when they all find out he is alive... would love to be a fly on the wall of the fomor headquarters as they collectivel cry and run screaming out of chicago...

Seriously. I would have paid another $25 for a few more chapters of Dresden showing back up in Chicago and showing everyone why you don't mess with his friends. Or better yet, showing up in time to save the day when the Justice League headquarters was under attack or something and laying a royal beat down on the fomors for doing so. "This is my town."

Offline omfgitsbacon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 04:48:19 AM »
what do you guys think about the ending? Some reason it didn't leave me excited for the next book. I'm glad he's alive and all back as the winter knight but what's the whole ordeal of the demonreach and mab? It barely left room for a suspense moment but saying stuff has to be done for the court. Seems like it could of ended in a more dramatic mind thinking matter then that.

I can understand how you feel, but for me it literally made me like cry out in rage in Panda Express cause I was like "noooo I want to see whats next!" (no joke i finished it like 15minutes after class in Panda). I feel that the whole revelation that he has a CHOICE to do whatever and not even MAB can take that away from him was a really great conclusion. It shows that Harry will still be himself, but be in a greater position of power to act against whoever his enemies may be (preferably the Black Council).

Offline jamerson9

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 05:04:41 AM »
After Changes, I can live with the more staid ending. But, it does setup at least two books more. One with Mab central and another with Demonreach. Dresden has to pay the piper sooner or later.

Offline starsfan56

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 05:20:06 AM »
Awesome!! 

What a cheeky b*stard, I just knew it had to be Kincaid but never ever imagined it would be by Harry's request. How awesome was that!  Great story. Another year to go now......if we're lucky.