Author Topic: Special Effect Attacks and Spellcasting  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Special Effect Attacks and Spellcasting
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 12:50:59 AM »
Actually, it could.

You see, the bolt of conjured lightning didn't actually strike it's target.  Because they jumped out of the way just in time.  Unfortunately, given the timeframe in which they had to decide on a course of action, they didn't notice the weakened section of floor, which, when forced suddenly to bear the weight and impact of their diving body, collapsed, along with the next two floors down in similar fashion.  The repeated impacts resulted in broken ribs to the wouldn't-be-victim, one of which punctured his lung.  But that's fine, because at least he's not crispy.

I would charge a fate point for that, because it is just too far from the original action, and is is made for the intend of not having a consequence that can be tagged for the effect of being shocked to a taken out. That (to me) makes it a buy out of a future compel and would require a fate point, much like accepting a future compel for increasing a roll.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 12:51:58 AM »
Actually, it could.

You see, the bolt of conjured lightning didn't actually strike it's target.  Because they jumped out of the way just in time.  Unfortunately, given the timeframe in which they had to decide on a course of action, they didn't notice the weakened section of floor, which, when forced suddenly to bear the weight and impact of their diving body, collapsed, along with the next two floors down in similar fashion.  The repeated impacts resulted in broken ribs to the wouldn't-be-victim, one of which punctured his lung.  But that's fine, because at least he's not crispy.
This is an interesting point.  As an aside, does this mean that someone could take Mythic Toughness (only against rusty nails, probably a +4 or more Catch), and then whenever they take stress claim that they narrowly avoided the attack but fell on a rusty nail (in order to reduce the damage)?

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 02:08:42 AM »
This is an interesting point.  As an aside, does this mean that someone could take Mythic Toughness (only against rusty nails, probably a +4 or more Catch), and then whenever they take stress claim that they narrowly avoided the attack but fell on a rusty nail (in order to reduce the damage)?

Only if they liked being slapped.

:)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 02:19:52 AM »
Consequence selection is subject to a reasonableness test by the game table as a whole.  Whatever your game table (ie. players+GM) collectively find reasonable is thus allowed as a consequence.

@Becq

By the time consequence selection is available (and thus narrative control passes to the defender), stress has already been inflicted.
For instance, that iron sword indirectly causes more stress to the Sidhe Lord who leaps off the cliff to avoid your swing than would a bronze sword because, motivated by his fear and hatred for the Bane, he leaps farther and more recklessly.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 03:34:44 AM »
Or if someone has Immunity to everything but iron, then clearly in that situation perhaps they have to be hit by the sword (or a similar object).

However Tedronai is right, if you read the section on consequences it talks about taking a consequence of "twisted ankle" when being shot at. You clearly aren't taking that consequence because you've been shot, but because you were clumsy in trying to avoid it. This is one of the things that I really like about FATE, that the whole attack/damage mechanics are an abstraction.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »
I would charge a fate point for that, because it is just too far from the original action, and is is made for the intend of not having a consequence that can be tagged for the effect of being shocked to a taken out. That (to me) makes it a buy out of a future compel and would require a fate point, much like accepting a future compel for increasing a roll.

There's just no support for that in the text. If you get shot and take a Consequence, the Consequence doesn't have to be gun-related at all, it can be something like "Twisted Ankle" or "Deafened" or something plausible.

Plus "Taken Out" can't be Compelled or Tagged, at least, not on a PC. And if it could, "Punctured Lung" would be just as easy to Compel as "Tazed."
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »
My only issue will the falling through the floor consequence is it gives the defender free zone movement.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
My only issue will the falling through the floor consequence is it gives the defender free zone movement.

Whether intended as jest or not, it is an excellent point! Something in the same Zone could easily have caused it as well.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets