Author Topic: Water rundown  (Read 1471 times)

Offline mime64

• Participant
    • View Profile
Water rundown
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:06:11 PM »
So, running water grounds out magic. Let's identify all the dos and don'ts.

Can you cast while on a boat in a still body of water? The water does move. How about while the boat is being rocked in stormy weather?
Can you cast under water?
Can you summon a spirit from the Nevernever and place it in a fish like form? Would the spell be instantly undone when you toss it into the pool?

How do we define a significant source of running water?

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Water rundown
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
I'd say the larger the source of running water, the more direct the contact, and the faster its moving the more of a block on magic it will be.

So swimming in a fast moving large river would probably be right out, but standing on a bridge over a small, slow moving stream would be like a +1 block.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:43:05 PM »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »
So swimming in a fast moving large river would probably be right out, but standing on a bridge over a small, slow moving stream would be like a +1 block.

Having swum in a fast moving body of water, I feel confident saying that you're not going to be doing anything more than swimming. Unless you're part fish or something.

Offline wicked0truth

• Conversationalist
  • I definately feel the mask slipping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:36:45 PM »
Am I being crazy or do I remember something about water as spell element? how would that work?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:45:08 PM »
We talked about that in Devonapple's thread there. Generally if you think about running water as a conductor of magic then it makes sense that lose water is going to grab bits of the energy as it moves past, however the water you're manipulating is already full of that magic and as such is not going to draw more.

Offline wicked0truth

• Conversationalist
  • I definately feel the mask slipping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 04:59:31 PM »
We talked about that in Devonapple's thread there. Generally if you think about running water as a conductor of magic then it makes sense that lose water is going to grab bits of the energy as it moves past, however the water you're manipulating is already full of that magic and as such is not going to draw more.

Ah that makes sense.