Author Topic: Supposedly Haunted  (Read 1524 times)

Offline wicked0truth

• Conversationalist
  • I definately feel the mask slipping
    • View Profile
Supposedly Haunted
« on: June 22, 2011, 05:16:51 PM »
Hi Folks, I am very new to the wonderful world of Dresden RPG (and pen and paper rpgs in general),

I had an idea of an aspect for my character which would be that he is apparantly haunted as objects around him apparantly move about of their own accord. However it turns out that he is actually a minor talent (kineomancy) and has had very little contact with supernaturals in general and so at the minute is blissfully unaware. So I was would play him as more of Mortal Build and obviously only progress to trying to use abilities etc if it was progressed in the story. However I fear that this might put me at a disadvantage as the one advantage vanilla mortals gets is the +2 refresh.

What do you think?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Supposedly Haunted
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 05:20:20 PM »
If your only Supernatural trapping is an Aspect, I might be inclined to let you remain Pure Mortal. As soon as you spend Refresh on Kinetomancy, of course, that +2 is gone.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:32:23 PM »
Agreed. There are plenty of pure mortals who don't stay that way or characters who become pure mortal (there was a thread recently on that very concept). Doesn't mean you don't get the bonus. As long as you don't have any supernatural powers (I.E. from the powers section of the book) I'm pretty sure you're eligible for the mortal bonus.

Some things to think about. If you're eventually going to buy the powers you might want to pick a high concept that is flexible enough to allow for it. I suppose it's not too tough to change it, but I figure it's easier if you don't have to bother much.

Offline wicked0truth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:19:39 PM »
I don't think i was looking for progressing the character into the power as by that point in his life 30-ish might not be looking to learn new thing character wise was thinking it more as teh trouble aspect? What do you think? I am fairly new as I have stated so I may just be getting those muddled up.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »
The best kind of trouble is something that drives a character to do things (or makes them do things a certain way).  Pick the thing that compels the character to get involved more often than not and that's likely to be a great trouble.

Seems to me it would be a great aspect in general though. It could be compelled to involve you in hauntings and to make others react poorly to you ("there's the haunted guy"), but invoked for all sorts of fun supernatural effects.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:21:16 PM »
While listing minor powers in Dead Bead, Dresden mentions one who has just enough kineomancy to control how dice land.  I can't see that being a power and an aspect looks fine.

At least it looks fine to me.  Talk it over with your GM to see how he feels.

Richard

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:23:25 AM »
Just as a side note, Magic is all about converting the caster's will into reality.  I'm not sure that having things moving around randomly makes a lot of sense.  Instead, you might have things move around in ways that the character might have wanted, assuming he actually thought about it.  So, for example, if he *really* wanted that new cell phone, it might float into his backback as he turned away.  Or if he started getting thirsty, he might find that a beer had mysteriously moved from the fridge to the table next to him.  And so on...

(Just a thought.)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 03:07:18 PM »
Just as a side note, Magic is all about converting the caster's will into reality.  I'm not sure that having things moving around randomly makes a lot of sense.  Instead, you might have things move around in ways that the character might have wanted, assuming he actually thought about it.  So, for example, if he *really* wanted that new cell phone, it might float into his backback as he turned away.  Or if he started getting thirsty, he might find that a beer had mysteriously moved from the fridge to the table next to him.  And so on...

(Just a thought.)

I'm alright with all three options:
Random (window dressing - no effect on plot other than "huh" - especially if the character was feasibly distracted with something else, or stressed out and his subconscious is acting out or just trying to help in ways only it understands).

Compel for detrimental (subconscious playing tricks on the player).

Invoke for beneficial (why are the guard's keys in my pocket?).

Offline wicked0truth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »

(Just a thought.)

Aye thats sort of what I was thinking of going with for example, Joe Bloggs comes across someone being beaten in an alley way, he would normally turn away but a can flies out and smacks one of the baddies in the head therefore intiating a fight etc.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »
Aye thats sort of what I was thinking of going with for example, Joe Bloggs comes across someone being beaten in an alley way, he would normally turn away but a can flies out and smacks one of the baddies in the head therefore intiating a fight etc.

What a clever Compel!