Author Topic: Grimmest Incite Emotion Character  (Read 6120 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Grimmest Incite Emotion Character
« on: June 22, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »
I have trying to build the most munchkinny incite emotion build too see if it could compete with a Speced Wizard Build this is what I have so far, it isn't quit the speced necromancy build but it can compete with anything other than that. If anyone has any examples of more extreme submeged character builds please fill me in.

Name: Lewis Stevens (Submerged)

High Concept: Scion of Chaos  
Trouble: Many Enemies

Aspects: Infuriating Arrogance, Twisted Sense of Humour, Black Hearted Retch, Impulse Control Issues, Child of Chaos

Skills: +5: Intimidate, Atheletics
          +4: Discipline, Convcition
          +3: Alertness, Performance
          +2: Contacts, Resources, Endurance
          +1: Scholarship, Lore, Investigation, Surivival, Presence

Powers:
Incite Anger [-4] Range, Potent and Lasting
Incite Crowd [-1] You may use Incite Emotion against multiple targets simultaneously, as per the Spray Attack rules, splitting effort between targets, or, for a -2 penalty, against everyone in the zone you occupy, excluding yourself if you wish.  The benefit of this upgrade cannot be used in conjunction with the benefit of At Range.

Emotion Vampire (Rage/Anger) [-1]
Feeding Dependancy (Rage/ Anger) [+1] Affecting

Physical Immunity [-8]
Catch of only against the attacks of people or creatures who are enraged at him (an aspect mentioning him is necessary) [+5]

Stunts:

Infuriate: Scaring people isn’t your forte; seriously pissing them off, on the other hand, is right up your alley. Gain +2 to any roll when deliberately trying to get someone angry with you (a social or mental attack or a maneuver with such a goal). Any consequences (such as grudges) or temporary aspects that result must name you as the source and target of the anger.

Refresh Modifier [-9]
Total Refresh [+1]  

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:28:25 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Grimmest Incite Emotion Character
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »
sill not even close to a wizard.

Wizards first of all defend against that kind of attack with discipline, which means even if the vampire starts combat with the wizard, he/she will probably not take any consequences and could avoid a maneuver aspect.

Then the wizard could 1 shot this vampire.

So.... not a  very munhkin-y build.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Khalis231

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »
sill not even close to a wizard.

Wizards first of all defend against that kind of attack with discipline, which means even if the vampire starts combat with the wizard, he/she will probably not take any consequences and could avoid a maneuver aspect.

Then the wizard could 1 shot this vampire.

So.... not a  very munhkin-y build.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Incite Emotion add +2 to the relevant skill when being used for a maneuver? Combined with the stunt, that puts the Intimidate attack at +9. Even with a Superb Discipline, a wizard's going to have a hell of a time avoiding a maneuver put in place by this vampire. I was under the impression that wizards got ridiculous by layering specializations and focus items to achieve ridiculous control rolls, none of which would apply on the Discipline roll to defend against Incite Emotion.

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 05:28:48 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Incite Emotion add +2 to the relevant skill when being used for a maneuver?

That's right, and even if he attacks instead of maneuvers, that +2 from the stunt* combined with the weapon 4 from lasting and potent makes the odds of landing a consequence pretty good.

*Said stunt is complete BS and should never be allowed.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Incite Emotion add +2 to the relevant skill when being used for a maneuver? Combined with the stunt, that puts the Intimidate attack at +9. Even with a Superb Discipline, a wizard's going to have a hell of a time avoiding a maneuver put in place by this vampire. I was under the impression that wizards got ridiculous by layering specializations and focus items to achieve ridiculous control rolls, none of which would apply on the Discipline roll to defend against Incite Emotion.

A defense roll + 1 or 2 fate chips is really not that bad for one defense and 1 one shot.

The weakness of the character written above is that he is a glass cannon.  Without getting the drop on someone and getting off that first maneuver, he is all glass and no cannon.

A /bad/ sniper could take him out in one shot.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 05:44:34 PM »
It's a clever build.  Not totally certain if that stunt would really be valid by RAW for use with Incite Emotion, though.  Also, I'd probably never allow this build as a GM, simply because it's so clearly abusive of the rules.

That said, whether or not it stands up to an Evocation-specialized Wizard or Focused Practitioner pretty much comes down to rocket tag.  If Mr. Rage succeeds on his initial maneuver, he's invincible (sort of).  Of course, the wizard still has a much more versatile set of powers.  For example, an earth mage could just open up a pit under this guy and seal him in.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 05:49:21 PM »
It's a clever build.  Not totally certain if that stunt would really be valid by RAW for use with Incite Emotion, though.  Also, I'd probably never allow this build as a GM, simply because it's so clearly abusive of the rules.

That said, whether or not it stands up to an Evocation-specialized Wizard or Focused Practitioner pretty much comes down to rocket tag.  If Mr. Rage succeeds on his initial maneuver, he's invincible (sort of).  Of course, the wizard still has a much more versatile set of powers.  For example, an earth mage could just open up a pit under this guy and seal him in.

An air mage could just steal his air.

A spirit mage could attack his mind directly.

So... yeah.  If we want to see min/maxed characters, we should let Belial666 take a crack at it. :P

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 05:56:51 PM »
Well this guy and a wizard are likely to only have about one fate point each when the square off, so using fate to boost their rolls is a wash. Now if this guy faces a pure mortal with a shotgun, he's in trouble.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 06:00:54 PM »
Well this guy and a wizard are likely to only have about one fate point each when the square off, so using fate to boost their rolls is a wash. Now if this guy faces a pure mortal with a shotgun, he's in trouble.

A wizard only has 1 fate point if they play with a crappy GM who never compels.

Offline Khalis231

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 06:13:50 PM »
A wizard only has 1 fate point if they play with a crappy GM who never compels.

I don't think that's being fair to the nature of the proposed duel. If we assume that the wizard had enough time to rack up some fate points above his base refresh, why wouldn't the vampire have done the same?

I would echo the sentiment of rocket tag. He who goes first, wins. I don't think that there's any real chance, given equal fate point access, that any wizard could avoid an attack by this character, and this character would obviously get rolled by an appropriately cheesy wizard if the situation were reversed.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »
I don't think that's being fair to the nature of the proposed duel. If we assume that the wizard had enough time to rack up some fate points above his base refresh, why wouldn't the vampire have done the same?

I would echo the sentiment of rocket tag. He who goes first, wins. I don't think that there's any real chance, given equal fate point access, that any wizard could avoid an attack by this character, and this character would obviously get rolled by an appropriately cheesy wizard if the situation were reversed.

Depending on the game, the wizard could use a reactive evocation spirit block against vampire mojo too.  I would allow it.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »
Depending on the game, the wizard could use a reactive evocation spirit block against vampire mojo too.  I would allow it.

Yes, if the game in question uses house-rules that substantially increase the power of practitioners, then this guy is screwed (unless it also uses house-rules that comparably increase his power).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 10:32:12 PM »
He needs a stunt where he uses his Intimidate as a defense to be truly abusive.  Although, that Physical immunity is right up there with the munchkinism!

Why take spray on incite instead of Zone?

Also, if you are looking for abusive bonuses, you need Marked by Power for the +1 to social attacks to those who recognize him.

The big problem he has is simply getting off the first shot.  A wizard will be able to veil themselves, or shield, or magically transport themselves.

I would go with a night-terror combo.  High stealth, cloak of shadows, jump out of the darkness and go "boo!"

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 10:37:06 PM »
Oh, and this might be a minor issue, but that Physical immunity power will cause a LOT of hunger stress.  As an 8 strength attack against your 4 discipline.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 10:55:29 PM »
With the +5 catch, it would only be a 3-point power.