Author Topic: Grimmest Incite Emotion Character  (Read 6184 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Grimmest Incite Emotion Character
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »
I suspect the real solution is to not allow anyone to tie Physical Immunity (no matter the Catch) to a Feeding Dependency.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 11:38:46 PM »
I suspect the real solution is to not allow anyone to tie Physical Immunity (no matter the Catch) to a Feeding Dependency.

Then what about regular recover/toughness powers?  The same issue would apply to them.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 12:17:09 AM »
It's not entirely clear whether or not the Catch reduces the feeding dependency hit.  However, I would rule that it does not, and feel that the following support this interpretation:

1) The example given in Feeding Dependency is "For example, if you used Inhuman Strength and Inhuman Toughness in the scene, that’s a total of 4 refresh".  It doesn't even consider what the Catch for that Toughness power is.
2) How would you handle a case in which you have, say, Inhuman Toughness, Inhuman Recovery, and a +3 Catch attached to the two?  If you only use Toughness, do you take a 1 point hit or a 0 point hit?  Or if I have Supernatural or Mythic Toughness, but voluntarily downgrade it to below the Catch value?
3) Powers in the book seem to always be referred to as Power [-?], even when simply mentioning the power.  This implies that the power and the value are associated.

I did find a good counter-argument, by the way.  It seems that every other [+?] power in the game uses words like "you regain ? refresh".  The Catch, uniquely, uses words like "discount on the total cost" and "reduce the total cost".

Offline funnybonzo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »
It reminds me of the old Magic: the Gathering trick of placing Lure and Regeneration on a Thicket Basilisk.

And if you're playing with a blue/green deck, you enchant the little bugger with Flight, and sit back and enjoy the show.
"...And they have BOOBS!" - Bob the Skull

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2011, 06:38:55 PM »
2) How would you handle a case in which you have, say, Inhuman Toughness, Inhuman Recovery, and a +3 Catch attached to the two?  If you only use Toughness, do you take a 1 point hit or a 0 point hit?  Or if I have Supernatural or Mythic Toughness, but voluntarily downgrade it to below the Catch value?
I would say 1-point - treating the whole suite of toughness powers that you have as one power is one way to rationalize it - the other is to say that, like many other things, you can't reduce the cost of a power to 0 for any particular application. Now, granted, that means if you use both, you're still only resisting a 1-point, but that's how power reduction works, really.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location