Author Topic: The Accountable Writing Bar for bragging rights or sympathy hugs...  (Read 15250 times)

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
  • Fear the Combat Teddy-Bear Robe!
    • View Profile
    • the Dark Nova Novels Website
Re: The Accountable Writing Bar for bragging rights or sympathy hugs...
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 06:28:56 AM »
Stuck at 109,000 words (rounded) on the current novel due to Toddlerus Interuptus. I am dead serious and not exagerating when I say it was easier to write in a third-world warzone with weekly bouts of incoming, power outages, internet crashes, dust everywhere, and 12+ hour shifts 6 days a week than it has been as a stay-at-home dad with a toddler. There's something telling there, and it should give people significant respect for housewives and single mothers :)

That being said, I have the rest of the book fairly well mapped out, several scenes written ahead of time ready to insert, I just need to bridge the gaps between them. If I am not up to 150k words by September, though, I need my butt kicked.
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "

Offline Mishell

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2011, 09:03:52 PM »
Hi everybody!  I've been trying to write 2,000 words a day on my novel.  Am just finishing up week 3, and have amassed 35,800 words or thereabouts.  I am typing this and patting myself on the back instead of writing today's 2,000.  Just FYI.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2011, 02:02:37 PM »
Hi everybody!  I've been trying to write 2,000 words a day on my novel.  Am just finishing up week 3, and have amassed 35,800 words or thereabouts.  I am typing this and patting myself on the back instead of writing today's 2,000.  Just FYI.
Nice job, I've been setting my goal at 400 a day.  My social life would tank at 2000 a day.  That's like 5 pages /day.(Given 10.5 Arial font so that a given page is about the length of a page in a published novel.)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2011, 04:07:02 AM »
Nice job, I've been setting my goal at 400 a day.  My social life would tank at 2000 a day.

What is this "social life" of which you speak ?

Two more issues resolved in the current pass.  I really need to stop flailing about and tackle the big ones head-on.  I intend to do this either tomorrow or Saturday.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »
What is this "social life" of which you speak ?

Two more issues resolved in the current pass.  I really need to stop flailing about and tackle the big ones head-on.  I intend to do this either tomorrow or Saturday.
Allright so it's as much my Minecraft habit as trying to get everyone I know to tell me what they think of my writing...  You caught me.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2011, 11:30:40 PM »

Well, I've done the biggest.

It feels like it works but I have no idea how it will read to someone who's not me.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2011, 05:32:42 AM »
Hit the 100th page of my manuscript and am almost at 40k words.(Note that from some quick testing a page in a published novel will match a double spaced 10.5 Arial font MS word page almost perfectly with the standard borders and the like so that's what I've been using.)  I'd be at about 130 pages given college writings standard page.

Offline Mishell

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2011, 04:35:38 PM »
Have been doing well with my 2K a day!  Have not missed a day yet.  Will break 60,000 words today!

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »

I would say I haven't written anything since I last posted in thread, then I compiled my breaktime notes(I make notes at work on break time) from the past 2 weeks on other projects....another 20 pages.

At least I'm efficient at outlines.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
  • Fear the Combat Teddy-Bear Robe!
    • View Profile
    • the Dark Nova Novels Website
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
I've managed to add.... a whole paragraph >.<

*prepares for butt-kickings*

In my defense, I have a 15 hour classload, a toddler, and a pregnant wife, so its not ALL procrastination :)
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
That sir, is a lot of work.  I admire your fortitude and am glad that I have none of those children things as of yet or anytime soon.  I work with enough of them.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2011, 03:21:40 PM »
I haven't written much since classes started last week, but I hope I'm going to get into a routine soon enough that I can start filling my free time putting words onto a screen.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
I must say, given what I'm working on right now, that Jim's handling of characters who have been compelled and mind-wiped is excellent.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2011, 03:52:41 AM »
Think I have another major edit issue fixed.  And it's a long weekend so I get to take another whack at it tomorrow or Monday.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:37:12 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2011, 03:37:33 PM »
Another goodly set of fixes done yesterday. Wahoo.