Author Topic: The Accountable Writing Bar for bragging rights or sympathy hugs...  (Read 15344 times)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Accountable Writing Bar for bragging rights or sympathy hugs...
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2011, 05:23:53 AM »
...and it's a wrap.

Thing Which I Should Be Working On is a complete draft, now just needs transfer to a Windows computer, assembly (I work in one-chapter-at-a-time text files) printing, and mailing off.

Good Luck and congrats.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2011, 07:41:59 AM »
Good luck Neuro.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »
Thank you both kindly.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »
DNG has me slaved out to a laptop writing for the next expansion for the Dark Nova RPG, I haven't gotten squat done on the novel lately. Blargh! That being said, I have managed to write enough background material and filler for the setting of the universe that I am getting ideas for yet another book... oy vey...

I think RPG writing would help you focus on the inportant parts of the universe creating..... :D

As for me, my 14th story was recently published on Battlecorps.com, and hopefully will have two more e-published by the end of the year.

And I finally got by first paper writing credit! Catalyst Games Labs' TRO: Prototypes has two designs in it that I wrote! So happy!  :D :D :D :D :D

On and upwards!

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2011, 02:05:44 PM »
Thing I Want To Be Working On; through pass on 23 of the 25 chapters.  (24 needs a major expansion and it was well past midnight by then.)

Thing I Should Be Working On; going to get paper on the way home in order to print the damnd thing out.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Figging Mint

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
Thing I Should Be Working On; going to get paper on the way home in order to print the damnd thing out.

That qualifies for ragging brights, if not the other.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
That qualifies for ragging brights, if not the other.

Running out of ink 500 pages into a 700 page manuscript makes that less likely in the short term..

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2011, 02:10:39 PM »
Tonight I get my ducks in a row and start a trial run of 2000 words a day for the next month and a half. Just to see if I can do it.

Out these efforts should come a short story followed by a Novel.

Time to put those 50+ pages of notes to good use.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Figging Mint

« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »
Tonight I get my ducks in a row and start a trial run of 2000 words a day for the next month and a half. Just to see if I can do it.

Good hands, nimble fingers and clean shotguns to ya.

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2011, 06:35:46 AM »
I've been collecting my thoughts/making notes since about '98-'99.  Right now I've got two major things stopping me from making headway on writing:

1)  This is the BIG reason for my struggles.  Try as I might, I cannot turn my notes/thoughts into STORIES.  Things turn out sounding more like a bloody history book.  At best it reads as a narrative.  Boring, and uninteresting stuff.  The good news is that this hasn't gotten me down, I know I'm capable of better work than this, for some reason I'm just stumbling.

2)  Most of my word processing time is spent on college right now.  I'm finishing up a masters, one that blends business and chemistry, so in addition to having to switch my brain back and forth, I also have to write a helluva lot.  I wrote 4-5k words this weekend, from friday-monday.  In addition to that, I spent many many hours doing research and reading textbooks  :(  All of this was school related, not a lick was for fun, or in pursuit of my own writing.

By the time I sit down to type I am severely burned out.  I don't even have the energy to play video games, let alone type something coherent and meaningful.  Despite all that, I still lay up at night with my ideas bouncing around inside my head.  A lot of you have more on your plates than I do, how do you do it?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:47:32 AM by Madd »

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2011, 06:55:11 AM »
Madd, getting your Masters has to take center stage but you can also do stuff to prepare for your own writing.
Take notes, do research (you already are doing that for the Masters).  Read - read lots of stuff in the manner that you'd like to write like.  Read good stuff and bad - see what you like and don't like.
As for sounding like a history book or a narrative.  Try writing from the point of view of a journalist taking notes or recording an incident.  The history book/narrative style shouldl work within that framework.

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2011, 07:10:09 AM »
Madd, getting your Masters has to take center stage but you can also do stuff to prepare for your own writing.
Take notes, do research (you already are doing that for the Masters).  Read - read lots of stuff in the manner that you'd like to write like.  Read good stuff and bad - see what you like and don't like.
As for sounding like a history book or a narrative.  Try writing from the point of view of a journalist taking notes or recording an incident.  The history book/narrative style shouldl work within that framework.

Hey thanks!   ;D  Thats a pretty cool idea I hadn't considered yet.  My intention wasn't to sound like a history book, however my writing has been purely technical since 2004 (the last time I had a creative writing class) and its obviously bleeding into my attempts at writing for fun.  The journalist thing...yeah, very fun.  I'll get back to you guys with what I turn up! (page wise, not story wise.  The last thing I want is one of my half-assed ideas stopping JB from producing quality Dresden escapades.)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2011, 07:17:25 AM »
Hey thanks!   ;D  Thats a pretty cool idea I hadn't considered yet.  My intention wasn't to sound like a history book, however my writing has been purely technical since 2004 (the last time I had a creative writing class) and its obviously bleeding into my attempts at writing for fun.  The journalist thing...yeah, very fun.  I'll get back to you guys with what I turn up! (page wise, not story wise.  The last thing I want is one of my half-assed ideas stopping JB from producing quality Dresden escapades.)

You're welcome.  I have a story somewhere in my universe done from that point of view.  If I didn't throw it out when I moved.  (Got kinda crazed there at some points - and this was only handwritten.  Oh well, can always redo it. ::) ::))
Thanks for being considerate and good luck.  With the writing and the Masters.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2011, 04:47:49 PM »
Seriously behind on word count as in page-by-page, as in none. :( I blame my addictive personality combined with Breaking Bad

Hopefully a burst of energy & madness via meditation tonight will fix that.

However, I have been writing new material everyday.  Designed the novel's 4 Magic systems(Well, 4 sets of 3 rules w/upsides & downsides to them) and outlined most the short story.

Going to outline write the entire Short story which is something I've never done before. Exciting and scary at the same time.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »
After a week and a half of not being able to get much done I finally hit 200 pages done, and got a good chunk of writing done.  I just have to work out how to pace the storylines so they match up at the end.  So far It's not looking good.