Linked Events

• Release party in Kansas City: July 26, 2011

Author Topic: GS release party in Kansas City, MO 7/26  (Read 14758 times)

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: GS release party in Kansas City, MO 7/26
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 03:26:31 AM »
so, sitting here in my hotel room typing from my laptop... didn't get any footage, but AMAZING Q&A--jim was easily one of the nicest people PERIOD--minor celebrity or not. just absolutely personable, easy to talk to...

thank you for doing this, mr. butcher!
He is a pretty fricking amazing human being, isn't he?  Can't wait for tomorrow and seing him for the second time.

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 03:28:37 AM »
Minor??? Minor??? not to us!! :)
I believe in True Love, Susan and Harry will always be the one true love, because even reminders of that love will always remain.

"(Love) It lingers on in the energy of their lives, even when they are apart." (Blood Rites)

Offline archaicwonder

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »
This was such a great event.  The Rainy Day Books people were very nice and well organized.  I was going to get video but did not charge the communication device/ phone on the trip from St. Charles to KC, so didn't get to do it.

Jim opened with the standard, "I assume my fans can read" line and answered a LOT of questions over an hour.  I even got my question in there about DC versus Marvel, which I knew would come down Marvel but was hoping to hear a little more DC love, interested factoid, Jim mentioned having been offered a chance to write for Superman and Batman but turned them down because he didn't feel like he loved the material enough to do it justice, unlike Spidey.

After questions the signing began, there were over 500 fans in attendance so that was a LOT of books.  My place in line feel right about in the middle, after Jim took a short break to get ICE on his freaking hand and wrist to sign more books! He was apologetic about it, but man, he is just so freaking COOL to go through that much effort to connect with the fans.  My wife and I have been lucky enough to see him a couple of times before this and it has always been a great event.  I look forward to next year!

Offline Knight Disciple

• Conversationalist
  • Hope Burns Bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 02:28:10 AM »
Oh, you were the DC/Marvel guy! I was on the other side of the room.  :P
In fearful day, in raging night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for hope burns bright!

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 04:04:44 PM »
It was so much fun catching up with some folks I know!

I've typed up my notes from the Q&A, but I haven't been on the forum much since the redesign so I don't know where to post them now.  Is there a section for that?

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »
It was so much fun catching up with some folks I know!

I've typed up my notes from the Q&A, but I haven't been on the forum much since the redesign so I don't know where to post them now.  Is there a section for that?

Post em here and I'll port em into your old topic if you like.

edit:  Or post them in a new topic in the spoilers section.  I would recommend the sticky in the spoilers section, but something this massive will probably generate a lot of discussions, and I'd like to try to keep some of that bulk out of that long term thread.  Either way, I'll be copying them into a topic in the WoJ section as well.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:58:38 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 05:43:57 PM »
Thanks, Serak!

First, for your visual delight... a pic!   ;D

I'm next to Jim.  

Here's what I got from the Q&A:

Q.   Will there be another Dresden TV series?
A.   “I’m willing to forgive Hollywood.”

Q.   In Even Hand, we learn that John Marcone is not his real name; does that have significance?
A.   It would certainly have significance if someone were trying to use his Name for spellcasting.

Q.   Will there be a 7th book in Alera?
A.   If Jim were to go back to Alera, it would be years from now.  The book would be a couple of generations in the future to see how things turned out.

Q.   Would you like to see either series in an animated movie or anime?
A.   This is actually how Jim sees things as he’s writing them.  Also, it would be very cool because as an animated movie, it’s a lot less expensive to blow things up.

Q.   Is there a real or historical person or place that you would like Harry to ‘interact’ with but you haven’t been able to yet.
A.   Yes, but he is going to use them, so he won’t tell what they are.

Q.   Are there any big clues that no one has picked up on yet?
A.   At least one person has picked up on every clue, but no single person has put it all together.

Q.   What did you base Harry’s character on?
A.   Jim put together a list of classical popular wizards (e.g. Merlin) and classical private eyes (e.g. Sherlock Holmes), then listed common traits of each.  For example, great wizards are great because they seek knowledge; most great private eyes mouth off to exactly the wrong person at exactly the wrong time. Using that list of characteristics, he created Harry’s personality.

Q.   Will we learn the history of Jack Murphy and why he killed himself?
A.    No.  That would require that he actually killed himself.

Q.   What’s the biggest cliché you’ve used?
A.   A wizard throwing a fireball.

Q.   Will Harry ever jump through time?
A.   That would require breaking a law of magic.  And it’s not like there are 7 books planned, one for each law of magic.

Q.   In the RPG, there is the option of creating different Harrys based on Harry having made different choices.  Is that just for the RPG?
A.   No, and it will actually come into play in a future plot line.  Considering a book called “Mirror Mirror.”

Q.   When did you know Maggie existed?
A.   Was seeing a lot of complaints about LKH’s books, and one in particular said, “It’s just BDSM sex, it could never be relevant to the plot.”  And Jim thought, “Hmmmm…”

Q.   If you could go back and do things differently, what would you change in books 1 and 2?
A.   Would probably throw them out and completely rewrite them.  But that would probably end up in disaster.  There are a lot of things that have come out of mistakes.  For example, a physical therapist told Jim that based on all the injuries Harry had suffered at a certain point in the novel, he would have needed surgeries, physical therapy, etc.  That issue led to defining how wizards’ bodies heal better/faster, and it also linked in nicely with the fact that wizards live so much longer than normal people.

Q.   What actors would you choose for Harry and Thomas?
A.   Favorite choice for Harry would be a 1970s Harrison Ford.  Of current actors, would choose Captain Tight Pants (Nathan Fillion) for Harry, and Bryce from Chuck for Thomas (Matt Bomer).

Q.   Why did Ghost Story get delayed so long?
A.   There was such a large part of the book during which Harry really couldn’t communicate with anyone; since dialogue is the easiest part to write, it took more time to work through the narrative.  Also, parts of the plot turned out differently than originally planned.  Finally, there were some personal changes that took some adapting to.

Q.   What do you read?
A.   Robert Parker, Harry Connely, Benedict Jacka, Brandon Sanderson, Percy Jackson series, Harry Potter series.  Many others he’s sure he left out.

Q.   What genre would you like to write in?
A.   True SciFi…working on a project that is kind of Men in Black meets X-men on the moon.

Q.   Do you figure out the end of a book before you start writing?
A.   “If I’m smart.”  Usually has in mind the ending, 1 big ‘special effects’ scene, ½ dozen sarcastic comments, and a few smaller scenes.

Q.   Did Dresden maintain domain over Demonreach when he died?
A.   Read Ghost Story.

Q.   What other short stories are you considering?
A.   Currently 2/3 through the 2nd book of a Bigfoot trilogy:
      - B is for Bigfoot (elementary school)
      - I was a Teenage Bigfoot (high school)
      - Bigfoot on Campus (college)

Q.   Was Harry’s mom related to Morgan LeFay?
A.   No, LeFay is simply a mark of honor.  And a mark of insanity.

*** GS Spoiler
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:40:22 AM by BookLover♥ »

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 12:39:17 AM »
Q.   What other short stories are you considering?
A.   Currently 2/3 through the 2nd book of a Bigfoot trilogy:
      - B is for Bigfoot (elementary school)
      - I was a Teenage Bigfoot (high school)
      - Bigfoot on Campus (college)

You know, Seeing them written out like that, he should have the title of book three start with a G. So they spell B-I-G down the side. :P
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 01:11:16 AM »
You're right, that would be awesome!  ;D

I'm really looking forward to that trilogy.

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 01:31:41 AM »
A.   Was seeing a lot of complaints about LKH’s books, and one in particular said, “It’s just BDSM sex, it could never be relevant to the plot.”  And Jim thought, “Hmmmm…”

That was my favorite part of the book and I love his comment, that's so perfect, so "Jim" from what I've seen of him at the signing and on youtube!  I love it!
I believe in True Love, Susan and Harry will always be the one true love, because even reminders of that love will always remain.

"(Love) It lingers on in the energy of their lives, even when they are apart." (Blood Rites)