Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 160515 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #975 on: September 04, 2013, 01:24:33 AM »
You can't use a supplemental action to cross a zone border because it requires a roll (or that's how I interpret RAW).  That being said, if you have a Fantastic Athletics, you don't really need to roll to go over a 1 shift border (since even rolling a -4 would be a success).

Yeah, exactly. 

Or, in the case of the teleporting guy, would it be -4 to escape, then -1 to attack? or -4 to both actions?  I'm wondering if breaking a grapple as a supplemental is too strong and we just limit it to sprinting.

-1 to attack, no penalty to escape. But you assume the worst possible roll when escaping supplementally. This reduces the power of a supplemental escape and cuts down on the number of rolls you have to make.

Would it be better if I rephrased the Power to say "you can move supplementally out of a grapple if and only if you could have escaped given the worst possible roll"?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #976 on: September 04, 2013, 01:54:27 AM »
Yeah, exactly. 

-1 to attack, no penalty to escape. But you assume the worst possible roll when escaping supplementally. This reduces the power of a supplemental escape and cuts down on the number of rolls you have to make.

Would it be better if I rephrased the Power to say "you can move supplementally out of a grapple if and only if you could have escaped given the worst possible roll"?

Hm...I like this because you can always attempt a sprint but the strength of the grapple impacts the ability to do the supplemental.  I like it!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 04, 2013, 05:05:02 AM »
Alright then, how's this?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: November 01, 2013, 06:36:23 PM »
A couple more upgrades, which are really just for the Siberian.

I'm a little bit hesitant about the balance of these new upgrades. One seems weak, the other seems strong.

As always, please tell me what you think.

TELEPORTATION [-2]
Description: You can teleport from one place to another. Very convenient.
Skills Affected: Athletics.
Effects:
Unfettered Movement. You may ignore all zone borders and all penalties or blocks that would normally impede your movement, unless those blocks are specifically designed to block teleportation. You may also move freely in three dimensions, though this Power does not prevent you from falling to the ground.
Hard To Hold. If you are being grappled you may make a Sprint action even though a grapple does not normally allow it. Compare your movement roll to the grapple strength. If it's lower your opponent can choose to come with you or to disrupt the teleport attempt; otherwise their grasp is broken and you may move as if there was no block or borders, as normal. You may also move supplementally out of a grapple, but only if you would be able to escape from the grapple given the worst possible Sprint roll.
Carrier. When you teleport, everything you're carrying teleports with you. This can include other willing characters. Moving unwilling characters is more difficult; you can only do so when grappling them. When you take a supplemental action to move an opponent in a grapple you may teleport with them. Furthermore, you may teleport your opponent around in damaging ways when you do so. This allows you to combine the movement and stress-infliction supplemental actions in a grapple into a single supplemental action.
Rapid Teleportation [-1]. Add four to your Athletics when using it to move with this Power. You may also move an additional zone when taking a supplemental action to move with this Power, whether normally or in a grapple.
Long-Distance Teleportation [-1]. (Requires Rapid Teleportation) You may teleport to any place in the universe given a moment to concentrate in peace. At the GM's discretion, this effect may be limited by the speed of light.
Sight-Affirmed Teleportation [+1]. Your movement is impeded by anything that blocks your vision. Apply blocks and penalties that apply to your vision to your movement, and do not ignore them with the base effect of this Power.
Unstoppable Teleportation [-1]. Being grappled has no effect on you, and you can break free automatically with any action.
Non-Teleportation [-0]. You don't actually teleport, you just ram through stuff. You can't move freely in three dimensions and you can't ignore borders or blocks with values larger than your Might plus any bonuses you have for breaking things. When you move through a border or block, you smash a hole in it that others can follow through. This upgrade is not compatible with Long-Distance Teleportation.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: November 07, 2013, 06:18:29 AM »
Sorry if it has already been brought up, but I have been out of the loop awhile.

With regards to Unfettered Movement, how common/easy do you see anti-teleportation measures as being?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: November 07, 2013, 06:36:45 PM »
Not common at all. But some especially careful wizards might make wards against teleportation.

I'd say that a ward can normally either stop normal movement or teleportation, and a surcharge of 2 complexity would let it stop both.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 08, 2013, 04:03:44 AM »
Not common at all. But some especially careful wizards might make wards against teleportation.

I'd say that a ward can normally either stop normal movement or teleportation, and a surcharge of 2 complexity would let it stop both.

These wards would also apply to thaumaturgical/enchanted item/potion teleportation like Harry's escape potion, I guess?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: November 08, 2013, 05:47:36 AM »
Yeah, that would make sense.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #983 on: November 08, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »
I would have thought things like thresholds and wards would automatically protect against teleport.  I'd just have them apply as a border value.  If your sprint roll is higher, you're through.  As well we house-ruled that a threshold prevents you from just teleporting through. Obviously, if said threshold would force you to lose that power.

The important thing is that physical borders have no value, but meta-physical ones should still apply.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 08, 2013, 11:21:18 PM »
I didn't intend for the Power to help against Thresholds at all, but I figured it should take you through normal wards. That's pretty much what it's for, after all.

I'm not the original author, though, so maybe I've got the intent wrong.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #985 on: November 10, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
I don't know...being able to ignore borders at will is pretty strong.  No need to break in to a place, use burglary.  It makes for amazing recon and spying by zipping on top of the roofs of building.  With Rapid teleport you can have a +8 bonus at feet in the water.  You probably have a good enough chance of bypassing a ward anyways, but I'm not sure it should be automatic.

Dunno.  I thought "generic" wards blocked anything it wasn't keyed to.  Like "block everyone except me".  Which would include someone trying to teleport through.

Offline cowardlylion

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 10, 2013, 03:36:16 AM »
I imagine in terms of magic defenses against teleportation should be pretty rare because of how rare the ability its self is (especially in the dresden verse) and that only magical defenses specifically keyed towards teleportation should have any effect. Also I don't see why magic blocks should have a particular advantage against Teleporters over normal blocks its not as though they aren't already superior to their mundane rivals.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 03:40:06 AM by cowardlylion »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 10, 2013, 05:38:08 AM »
Dunno.  I thought "generic" wards blocked anything it wasn't keyed to.  Like "block everyone except me".  Which would include someone trying to teleport through.

They do, but a teleporter ignores all penalties or blocks that would normally impede their movement. So it doesn't matter if a ward blocks the teleporter; the teleporter just ignores it anyway. (Unless the ward is specifically designed to stop teleportation.)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #988 on: November 10, 2013, 12:52:47 PM »
O.k.  So here's a question. Say they ignore the block and bypass that aspct of the ward, do they also ignore secondary triggers like being zapped or warning the wizard?  They would still be considered unauthorized.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 10, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Yes, I think teleportation ought to let you ignore traps that are built into wards. Other traps could still get you.

That's just my interpretation, though. I don't think there's a "canonical" answer in the text of the Power.