Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 172826 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #795 on: January 28, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »
The fact that wizards (unintentionally) mess up technology is enforced and represented solely through the aspect mechanics.  Mostly, this means Compels.  It does not gain them any Refresh, and so should not cost Refresh to remove.  They just lose out on those Compels, and the FPs they bring.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 29, 2013, 12:21:25 AM »
Thanks, Auspice.

If you disagree with the cost of something on the list, feel free to say so. It's always good to hear opinions, and I'd be the first to admit there's plenty of dreck on the list.

That aside, I'm with Tedronai here.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 30, 2013, 07:44:30 AM »
Indeed. From a purely game design viewpoint, potential compels are treated as absolutely cost-neutral. That said, I see where you're coming from - in-game compels are most certainly not cost-neutral. But I don't think this is a big enough issue to make it cost Refresh. Maybe if it simply incresed hexing difficulties.

Offline Gozer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 31, 2013, 07:59:50 PM »
To go back to the Aura of Obscurity for a moment... how about handling it as an Incite Effect power?
It could be a basic Incite Effect, upgraded to Mental Effect and Zone Effect, offset by being Uncontrolled.

It seems like 'Forgotten' should be an easier effect to induce than 'mind numbing lust' or 'suicidal dispair,' even at range...

I might just have to play around with that, and see if it crunches out any different than just writing the power as is.

Any thoughts?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 31, 2013, 09:02:29 PM »
The problem there is that Incite Effect is an active effect. It doesn't just happen, you have to take an action to use it.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 31, 2013, 10:13:48 PM »
Maybe some kind of modification to Dangerous Aura? If that was the name of the power. It could target the mental stress track, automatically attack anyone within x zones, and deal consequences like "Forgot Who I'm Looking At".
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Gozer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 01, 2013, 01:09:20 AM »
hmmm... now that's an interesting idea.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 01, 2013, 05:25:13 AM »
Could work as long as you're okay with having your non-memorable-ness Power win fights for you.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 01, 2013, 06:04:34 AM »
Targeting a Fair Discipline isn't an impossible roll by any means. It could even be a Myrk variation, bland as that power is.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Gozer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 04, 2013, 09:43:24 PM »
After discussing the power with the Character further, it turns out he was looking for something much subtler... more along the lines of this:

Aura of Obscurity

Description: You cannot be photographed clearly- be it film, digital, or video, you are somehow always out of focus, blurred, etc… Furthermore, people who don’t know you well have a very difficult time remembering you clearly.
Musts: a suitably sneaky supernatural, vampiric, or magical Aspect.
Skills Affected: Alertness, Deceit, Discipline, Stealth 
Effects:
Image Obscurity: Unlike the Vampires of old, you can be photographed… it just doesn’t work very well. Film, digital and video images of you are always just out of focus, blurred, or otherwise subtly altered in such a way as to make your image impossible to positively identify. Note that these images are otherwise unaffected.
Veil of Obscurity: Rather like your image on film, people have a difficult time clearly remembering details about you. General information or memories are completely untouched.
“yeah, a guy came through here a while ago…”
Do you remember what he looked like?
“uh… not really. Average height and build, I guess…”
Did you talk to him?
“Yeah, I guess so… nothing important. Asked for directions, I think.”
Directions to where?
“I don’t know… somewhere around here.  Look, I, uh… I gotta go.”
Add +2 to the difficulty of remembering any significant details regarding the character (vrs Awareness or Discipline, as appropriate).
People so affected generally tend to avoid those memories entirely, as their attention just never quite gels on you or your presence, leading to an overall feeling of unease which is best just avoided.
Any significant interaction, such as a conversation of over a minute or one of real importance, threats or actual violence, etc… will nullify the power completely.

I just cant decide whether this is a +1 or +0 power... I'm tending towards +0.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:45:12 PM by Gozer »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 04, 2013, 10:48:42 PM »
Inflicting a penalty on rolls to remember you is pretty much meaningless, because remembering you doesn't actually require a roll.

So I probably wouldn't bother with that Power. An Aspect would seem easier and more effective to me.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 04, 2013, 11:02:49 PM »
A power could be written such that it mandates such a roll, though, rather than providing a modifier to it.
For instance, require that acquaintances roll against the character's Conviction or maybe Deceit for anything of substance that they want to remember about the character.  Offer an upgrade power that boosts the difficulty by 2.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Gozer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 05, 2013, 03:01:54 AM »
I don't know... I'd just as soon not reinvent the wheel here (although I might develop the power for another character or npc at some time in the future), for the time being I'm just as happy to invoke his "Lost in the Crowd" Aspect whenever it's appropriate. I suppose the narrative trumps here, and I don't really need anything mechanical.
Or do I?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 05, 2013, 03:10:38 AM »
An invoke-for-effect (possibly triggering a Compel when dealing with more important characters) will work just fine so long as you have the FPs to cover it.  You only really need to get a power for it if you don't want to have to be fueling it with FPs on a regular basis.
Slough

Offline Oblyss

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 06, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »
I noticed Tracing on the list, and I've been working on a similar ability to it.

I've been trying to work it up from Tracing to Unlimited Blade Works, at first I thought it'd be too silly but then I thought about it and decided it'd work just fine.

Currently here's the basic write-up of it.

(click to show/hide)

Here's what I have of it so far, and I've pretty much just lumped some of the things from Tracing onto it such as making permanent swords through a crafting roll. I haven't gotten around to adding them to the description yet. The sponsored magic idea was from someone else on the forum I found while searching for it.