Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 162279 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2011, 12:41:17 AM »
Well...I dunno.

Incite Emotion gives +2 to maneuvers and blocks. Also, the structure of Incite Emotion is such that weaker users are limited to maneuvers and blocks while stronger ones can attack.

Also, Emotional Vampire exists.

Also, exactly how Incite Emotion works is slightly unclear.

In short, I think that Incite Emotion has too much baggage for Natural Weaponry to consume.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2011, 01:13:16 AM »
In short, I think that Incite Emotion has too much baggage for Natural Weaponry to consume.

Then I would advise against you attempting to make Natural Weaponry compete directly with it.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2011, 01:22:56 AM »
Please, explain.

I don`t think that they`re redundant...

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2011, 02:45:57 AM »
If you're creating a power to accomplish the same task (in this case representing an innate attack capability against the mental stress track) as a power that already exists, one of those powers is highly likely to be mechanically superior.
If the new power is intended to replace the old power (or include that power as one possible combination among many of a modular set), then that discrepancy is less of an issue.  If, however, they're meant to coexist, then one of those powers will likely become a 'trap': a situation that, iirc, you yourself have expressed rather strong opinions on.

Natural Weaponry, as it stands, represents a 'flavour-as-you-will' innate attack capability.
If Natural Weaponry becomes capable of representing attacks against the mental stress track, it competes directly with Incite Emotion.
If the resulting Natural Mental Weaponry is balanced against Incite Emotion but can also represent other forms of attacks, Incite Emotion becomes obsolete.
If the resulting Natural Mental Weaponry is not balanced Incite Emotion, then either the new power is obsolete from its inception (and characters get be penalized for flavouring their Natural Mental Weaponry as something other than the inciting of emotion), or Incite Emotion becomes obsolete (and you begin power creep unless you argue that Incite Emotion was substantially underpowered).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2011, 03:33:29 AM »
I'm with Tedronai on this one.

I love the power natural weapons, it may make claws and breath weapon redundant, but natural weapons does a better job of dealing with those two powers.

I emphatically hate the idea of it doing mental stress.

Tedronai covered all of the bases as for why.

Incite emotion has a decent (if not balanced system), claws and breath weapons had a good - but limited system. 

Incite emotion can be pretty unbalanced, I was dropping some pretty nasty outsiders with it in one game.  Just ask HobbitWarrior.

I also feel natural weapons doing mental stress sounds silly.  I know it's just semantics, but I prefer there being a seperate power for it.

Put it up as a custom power as you will.  Just know I am against it handling(dealing) mental stress.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 03, 2011, 05:53:35 AM »
You make a good case, Tedronai.

I can't think of any way to fix the problems you list.

I guess I'll just shove Spiritual Weapon back on the shelf. I'll probably have thought of something good when I get back to it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2011, 06:42:34 AM »
Instead of Spiritual Weapon, I decided to write up a healing power. I think it's...okay. It overlaps too much with Thaumaturgical healing, it's too wordy, and it's not very elegant. But it does do what it's supposed to...I think.

Wasn't sure whether to go with reducing the consequence level or just having it heal faster. Opinions would be appreciated.

HEALING [-2]
Description: You possess the magical ability to heal others. Perhaps you can help people recover from psychological trauma with your musical genius, or perhaps you can knit flesh and bone back together through sheer faith.
Note: This power uses one skill and applies to one stress track. Choose which skill and which stress track when you take this power. Any combination is permissible as long as the group is not offended by it.
Skills Affected: Pick one
Effects:
Heal. You may use your chosen skill to heal consequences of your chosen stress track. In order to heal a given consequence, you must exceed its shift value on a roll of your chosen skill. Healing a consequence increases the speed of its recovery by one step, or by two steps if your roll is twice as good as it needs to be, or by three steps if by some miracle your roll is three times better than it needs to be. If an attempt is made to heal a consequence that has already been healed, the second attempt replaces the first. This power may or may not affect extreme consequences; GMs should handle such issues on a case by case basis.
Widened Healing [-1]. You may use your chosen skill to heal consequences from another stress track of your choice. This option may be chosen multiple times.

Blah. This one looked better inside my head.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 11, 2011, 01:03:25 AM »
I have selected Sponsored Magic as the next target for editing. So, first, let's gather up the various flavours of Sponsored Magic.

Boon of the Fisher King.
Though today he seems to be little more than a senile old man, the Fishers King is in fact a very old and very powerful faerie. He is remembered in the mortal legends of Bran the blessed and king Arthur - the wounded monarch on which the vitality of the land depends, his life sustained by the magic cauldron that can restore the dead to life. Later the title fisher king was tied into the Christian idea of Jesus as the fisher of men, and the legends interwove into the tales of Joseph of Arimathaea and christianised. All things considered it's not surprising the poor guy doesn't really know who he is any more.
In the legends with his vitality curtailed by his wound, the monarch is surrounded by a wasteland. The return of the cauldron (or grail) by his questing knights allows him to hold back the decay and the land live again once more. But it is a never ending battle and can only be achieved with the help of those who can share his vision and enact it- alone he is still the wounded impotent king.
The Fisher King is fond of sending his people on quests which allow them to test themselves and discovered powers, skills and talents that have been lying dormant with in them. Thus he assists them to learn more of themselves and fulfil their full potential. As a result the creative powers of the king are now focused on inspiring the people around him - consider it similar to the Greek muses. And this is the power he gifts to those of his court,
Sponsored magic
Description: The spells performed under the power of the Fisher kings boon derive from the questing and 'muse'. They also have a certain level of healing that is drawn from the cauldron of life; though most of that power is being used elsewhere (see the pool of LIFE section)
Cost: 4 (- the usual reductions if you have evocation or Thaumaturgy but most of those using this magic are Faerie or changelings and thus won't benefit from the discount.)
Benefits: Where as the powers of the courts of the queens focus on evocations, the Fisher king is more Thaumaturgy orientated. For example;
•Conjurations to allow the 'visions' to be shared and ideas to be prototyped,
•Divination to assist in the quests,
•Crafting of items of power so chosen mortals can be gifted the ability to excel.
There is also a massive amount of psychomancy going on, as the mortal artists and scientists that attract the attention of the Faerie are 'inspired' to greater achievements in the goal of driving back the wasteland.
Limitation:  The power is derived from the Fisher King, it is essentially creative, any attempt to carry out an activity that would expand the wasteland, or discourage a mortals creativity would clash. Destructive spells would only be appropriated as 'self defence' -or defending a protected mortal, or one of their creations.

Rune Magic [-4]: Standard Sponsor Benefits, 12 Rune Item Slots (equivalent of Enchanted Item Slots) if paying at -4 (If given a cost discount for Evocation or Thaumaturgy, it loses four Rune Item Slots for each point). These slots can be used to emulate any Evocation or Thaumaturgy effect, but may only be used for Rune Magic Items or Consumable Runes (although Enchanted Item Slots may also to pay for Rune Magic Items or Consumable Runes). A Rune Magic Item works and functions the same as an Enchanted Item (pre-prepared items) and a Consumable Rune works and functions the same as Potions or other Consumables (one-use runes). No channeling (all magical effects are done by using the Rune Item Slots). Others may use Rune Magic Items without using an extra slot to make it usable by others.
Rune Item Slot = Enchanted Item Slot
Rune Magic Item = Enchanted Item
Consumable Runes = Potions/Consumables

Yuletide Magic [-4 Refresh]
Drawing on the power of the Saint Nicholas, you’re able to cast spells that fit his essential nature: warmth and coldness, charity, protection, travel, and power over secrets. These magics are under the sway and watch of Saint Nicholas himself; making use of it will inevitably catch his notice.
Cost: As normal Sponsored Magic
Effects: Standard Sponsored Magic benefits, including counting as an Evocation element, allowing evocation spell effects that encourage or make use of warmth or coldness, charity, protection, travel, and a power over secrets. In addition, Yuletide Magic may be used to duplicate Conjuration or Warding effects at Evocation speeds and methods, and receives a +1 bonus to Control and Complexity on Conjuration. Yuletide Magic’s Evocations always includes either warmth or cold in some way, depending on the element being used.

The Power of the Blood- [-4]
Description: A true blooded elder vampire can draw a form of magical power from the life in the blood they have stolen. This power can be used to manipulate the blood of others and the blood of the vampire itself. The power of the blood works like evocation though cause hunger stress rather than mental stress.
+2 Focus Item Slots etc
Potential uses of Power: [evocation examples]:Controlling blood flow, causing internal injury, blood projectiles, [thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation examples]: blood chemistry alteration, blood binding (mental control) and blood tracking.

Chaos Magic / The blessing of the Un-Named
Drawing on the Power of the Nameless God of Chaos you are able to cast spells that fit into its essential nature, chaos, destruction, madness and the bending of reality. Making uses of it might cause ripples in the very nature of causality which may have many manifold effects. (some sort of hexing effect possibly effecting npc's).
Costs:4 refresh and some connection to chaos are needed to have this power. 
Benefits: Gain a +1 to control and Complexity on spells of that twist somethings nature.
In addition, Chaos magic may be used as an element for evocation, allowing evocation spell effects that encourage chaos, madness and the bending of reality.This includes the ability to produce effects along the lines of entropomancy (page 285), Psychomancy (page 286) and Diabolism (page 284) with evocation's speed and methods.

Magic-Tech [-4]
Description: Your magic, unlike most, mixes well with technology. In fact they are fast friends, and with them together you are able to create strange mechanical devices that beggar imagination.
Note: The cost is -4 refresh unless you already practice another kind of true magic (e.g., Evocation, page 180, or Thaumaturgy, page 181), in which case the cost is reduced by 1 for each ability you already possess.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore, Scholarship
Effects:
Magical Cooperation. Your magic no-longer disrupts technology, you can rely on technology, but it can also rely on you. You are no-longer able to hex devices but they will not fail on you.
Knowledge Transparency. For you there is no difference between Scholarship and Lore. You may use them interchangeably.
Arcane Constructs. Anything that you build that has a magical component and also has a technological component benefits from the amalgam of both. You main gain a +2 bonus to rolls with such devices by invoking an appropriate aspect and taking a point of sponsor debt. Enchanted Items which feature both technology and magic have +1 Strength and +1 Uses.

Sponsored Magic Bibliomancy  [-4] You can project the world of the word (book) into the real world. Nothing from the world of the word can exist without context as it would lose its meaning and therefor its existence, monster drawn from books remain monsters and heroes, heroes. (all Evocation effects of this power fall under the element words and all focus items for this powers are books.)

SUPER-SCIENCE!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; any sufficiently defined magic is indistinguishable from technology.  You're able to invent and build fantastic devices that are only dreamed about in science-fiction to create effects that blur the line between science and magic.  Beware, for the cold logic of Science can be used to justify any action... the same inspirations that created radiotherapy for curing cancer, first created nuclear bombs.

Cost: 4 refresh for the package.  Reduce this cost by 1 if you have Evocation or Thaumaturgy; reduce the cost by 2 if you have both.  However, Super-Science! is not compatible with the normal aesthetics of magic. If you have both this power and either Evocation or Thaumaturgy, then your Evocation or Thaumaturgy power must comply with the thematic and mechanical restrictions of this power.

Benefits: Standard sponsored magic benefits (page 288). Super-Science! does not use the usual set of skills for creating super-natural effects; Resources replaces Conviction, Craftsmanship replaces Discipline and Scholarship replaces Lore for the purposes of spellcasting with Super-Science!

Super-Science! is particularly dependent on technology to produce its magic-like effects.  Super-Science! evocation effects always require a focus item, and cannot be created without one. Focus items and enchanted item created using Super-Science! are always of a technological nature and are, therefore, capable of being hexed. The engineering methods and theories required to create Super-Science! items are highly improbable and unbelievable, however, making Super-Science! devices particularly resistant to magical hexing. Any focus items or enchanted items you create have a base defense against hexing equal to your Scholarship + twice the number of enchanted item slots the item occupies.  Furthermore, you gain one free Crafting specialization of your choice.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 11, 2011, 02:03:08 AM »
Standard template isn't much good for Sponsored Magic. Here's what I plan to use:

NAME [-COST]
Description:
Sponsor:
Agenda:
Evocation:
Thaumaturgy:
Evothaum:
Extra Benefits:

An example of it in action:

SEELIE MAGIC [-4]
Description: The power of the Summer Court, aka Summer Magic.
Sponsor: The Summer Queens
Agenda: Unrestrained growth and life. The destruction of the Winter Court.
Evocation: Summer evocations tend to be similar to those cast with the elements of fire and wood.
Thaumaturgy: Summer rituals can be used to open portals to Faerie, to heal, to manipulate growth and life, to manipulate heat and flame, and to create illusions and veils.
Evothaum: Summer Magic permits the user to cast biomancy spells with evocation's speed and methods and without the requisite medical knowledge.
Extra Benefits: Summer Magic ignores one level of Toughness when used against the creatures of Winter.

How does this look to everyone?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:27:52 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2011, 07:18:22 AM »
Standard template isn't much good for Sponsored Magic. Here's what I plan to use:

NAME [-COST]
Sponsor:
Agenda:
Evocation:
Thaumaturgy:
Evothaum:
Extra Benefits:

How does this look to everyone?
Looks good, a comprehensive way to encapsulate the boundaries and benefits of what's probably the most complicated part of magic to define.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2011, 03:27:26 AM »
One person says yay, nobody says nay, might as well get cracking.

YULETIDE MAGIC [-4]
Description: Drawing on the power of the Saint Nicholas, you’re able to cast spells that fit his essential nature: warmth and coldness, charity, protection, travel, and power over secrets. These magics are under the sway and watch of Saint Nicholas himself; making use of them will inevitably catch his notice.
Sponsor: Santa Claus
Agenda: To reward good children, and to promote the traditions and spirit of Christmas.
Evocation: Yuletide evocations involve the control of warmth and coldness.
Thaumaturgy: Yuletide rituals encourage or make use of warmth, coldness, charity, protection, travel, and secrecy.
Evothaum: Yuletide Magic allows its user to cast conjuration and warding spells with evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: A character with Yuletide Magic gets a one free specialization in conjuration complexity and another in conjuration control.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2011, 03:51:37 AM »
if those free specialties are meant to apply to the evothaum as well, then you need to specify that
edit: you should probably specify either way, just for clarity's sake
Slough

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2011, 06:33:20 AM »
A question about Evothaum: I have not been able to find a specific statement regarding the duration of Evothaum's spells, not even in the sidebar about Thaum with Evo's Methods & Speed.

Should I take this to mean that Duration is one of the "non-overlap" portions of Thaumaturgy, and that certain Evothaum spells will have a default duration of "15 minutes/1 scene"?
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2011, 03:55:55 PM »
Methods of evo -> durations of evo
Slough

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2011, 05:42:06 PM »
Methods of evo -> durations of evo
I would think that is not necessarily the case, as the definition in the sidebar specifically notes the Line of Sight restriction that is imposed, and The Single-exchange, Power/Control casting "Method", but does not mention duration. It does, however, mention that,
"the sets of mechanical effects available to thaumaturgy and evocation are pretty similar, with only a few areas of non-overlap.  You'd be right, but for this point: getting a broad range of effects out of evocation is an exercise in creative rationalization. What the power source is offering inthis specific case, then, is a broadening of what you don't have to rationalize."
Duration could be considered a part of the range of effects of a spell, not part of the Method of casting.
Example: the quick ward. With Evothaum you can throw up a ward on a doorway, perhaps to assist you in escaping from an attacker. Situationally, if you were facing a spellcaster, placing a Ward has the benefit of bouncing small spells back at the attacker, but a 1-exchange Ward isn't much of a deterrent, and almost no different from a Block. But if a Ward has (as part of its effect) a scene-long Duration(or longer), it becomes more useful, and helpful in your escape. A further note, one could make an enchanted item that creates wards, and that ward would have the base Duration of "Until Sunrise". I'm sure a Magical Sponsor can manage to bestow as much power to their vassal as a measley old Enchanted Item...

I believe Methods might not include Duration, which is a function of the effect, not a Method of Casting.
www.savethevillain.com