Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 162841 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2011, 07:31:26 AM »
That's all new to me. I don't actually know much about the series. It's just that the time I spend on TV Tropes makes it hard not to pick up a little bit here and there.

By the way, a Tracing variant could probably also represent owning multiple Items Of Power.

It definatly could be used for that. So far for Tracing I have a [-2] power for summoning a up too weapons 3 blades and then utilising craftmanship rolls to 'solidify' these weapon allowing them to last longer than a scene and potentially be used by others (if they have the spare refresh or fate points for IoPs). With a [-1] upgrade to include any other reasonable items such as a shields and armour. I am having a problem deciding whether the modular IoP still qualify for the Item of Power rebate given the nature of the ability.     
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:42:38 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2011, 12:58:16 AM »
I figure that an upgrade could also let you make guns, grenades, etc.

Can you have more than one item in existance at a time?

Can you make non-IoP weapons?

The IoP rebate should apply if you can lose the power by losing possession of a physical object.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2011, 08:22:30 AM »

That defiantly a possibility would upping the weapons rating cap to 5 and costing +2 refresh (area attacks + 2 damage) be reasonable for such an upgrade.

Can you have more than one item in existance at a time?

Can you make non-IoP weapons?

In the fiction you could have more than one item in existence at a time, In terms of balance for DFRP I am not sure, I might just go with you can only have one item at a time which isn't solidified (scene long craftsmanship roll) as they need to be maintained in your mind.    

You defiantly can make non-IoP weapons the only real limitation on what you can summon blades wise is that it is a copy so as long as you have come across normal weapons you can make them.  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:30:28 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2011, 06:01:43 PM »
"One item at a time unless you make a Craftsmanship roll" seems reasonable to me.

The need to have seen an item might work better as a compellable aspect then as a part of the power.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2011, 07:43:13 PM »
Tracing [-2] You have the ability to project weapons in your mind into reality.
Projection: You can summon an up to weapons 3 melee weapon as a supplemental action, you can maintain 1 weapon at a time but can change that weapon as a supplemental action. These weapons can be IoP and the refresh costs of these IoP should come out of your modular ability pool.
Reinforcement- You can spend a scene reinforcing your projections in your mind by building your mental image from first principals (craftsmanship roll), reinforced weapons do not need to be maintained in your mind and can last until destroyed.
Armorer [-1] You can now use tracing to not only project offensive weapons but also to project armor, simple tools, keys and levers.            
Complexity [-2] You can use tracing to summon highly complex items such as magnetic key cards, complex chemical compounds, explosives as well as being able to project weapons with incredibly high degrees of strength and sharpness. Any weapon created this way maxes out at Weapons rating 5.  

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:46:17 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline tymire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2011, 10:41:09 PM »
You really don't see much in tv series, but in the game he gets a bit more experience and he can make copies of any item he comes into contact with (they are at typically at a lower power, but still he becomes crazy powerful).  The only example is in the series is when he created Excalibur.

Would add in:
Mimic ability [-1 base + -1 per refresh to copy] You can make copies of other items of powers that are ALMOST as powerful as the original.  This does not mean you can combine powers of different items; you just make a copy of the original.

And if you want to get stupid

Infinite Bladeworks [-4] You create a demi-plane and bring others with you.  You have complete control over the area and can create anything instantly.  This will probably need a couple tweaks, but this is the power that lets Archer kill Hercules a few times.  In the game Archer/Sho?+Archer Arm has been around for more than a couple rotations of the game, so he has more than a few different weapons/shields/armors that he can create based off past fights.

Note: You should be taking mental stress when you make these.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2011, 06:24:45 AM »
Question about Sponsored Channeling/Ritual:

Do they include random extra benefits the way that full Sponsored Magic does?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2011, 06:25:49 AM »
Reformatting:

TRACING [-2]
Description: You have the ability to project weapons from your mind into reality.
Skills Affected: Craftsmanship, Weapons, Guns
Effects:
Projection. With a supplemental action, you may create a melee or thown weapon out of thin air. Two-handed melee weapons created this way are capped at weapon rating 3, while thrown weapons and one-handed melee weapons are capped at weapon rating 2. Weapons created this way last until the end of the scene or until you make a new weapon.
Reinforcement. By spending a scene and making a successful Craftsmanship roll, you may cause your projected weapon to become fully real. This means that it lasts indefinitely.
Versatile Tracing [-1]. You may create simple objects other than melee weapons with this power. Armour, simple tools, keys, and levers are all possible.
Complex Tracing [-2]. (Requires Versatile Tracing) You may create complex objects with this power. Firearms, explosives, chemicals, and machines are all possible, although at the GM's discretion a Craftsmanship roll may be required for certain items. Explosives, firearms, and two-handed melee weapons are now capped at weapon rating 5, while thrown weapons and one-handed melee weapons are now capped at weapon rating 4.

I'd like to add an upgrade that allows multiple non-reinforced objects at a time. I'd also like to allow IoP creation. But I'm not sure how to do it.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2011, 03:03:56 PM »
I'd also like to allow IoP creation. But I'm not sure how to do it.

To what end? What would be the result?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2011, 02:26:22 AM »
The end result would be a lot like Modular Abilities.

But not exactly.

I'm thinking of using a template system, where players can choose a few different configurations of powers (aka Items of Power) to summon up with this.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2011, 12:43:11 PM »
Actually, one of my replacement characters for Hobbit's game does more or less that, Sanctaphrax. I haven't nailed out the details, but I was just going to take Modular Abilities at [-4] with an obvious Item of Power discount and define a couple sets with the GM. I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with though!
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2011, 01:15:53 PM »
To what end? What would be the result?
Perhaps a sonic screwdriver:)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2011, 01:21:25 PM »
Perhaps a sonic screwdriver:)
Setting 478 - it repairs wire fences!
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2011, 03:01:35 AM »
Well, there wouldn't be an IoP rebate in this case. Summoning the item in question out of thin air makes the things that justify that rebate insignificant.

But I like the idea if using power sets. How many X-refresh-point suites would you allow someone access to for X+1 refresh?

Actually, this should probably be a new power entirely. Quasi-Modular Abilities, or something like that. Right now, there's no good way to model a shapeshifter who can turn into either a bear or a bird.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2011, 05:21:44 AM »
Feedback, please.

QUASI-MODULAR ABILITIES [-Varies]
Description: You have the ability to alternate between multiple powersets.
Musts: You must "pre-pay" a number of refresh points equal to the total value of each set of powers that this power affects, plus a surcharge of one refresh.
Skills Affected: Varies.
Effects:
Two Powersets. Pick out two sets of powers, each with a total refresh cost one less than the cost of this power. You may use either set of powers, although it takes a full action to go from using one to using the other. The GM decides what is and what isn't a valid choice for inclusion in the powersets provided by this power.
Item Of Power Collection [-0] You own multiple items of power. Design a number of Items Of Power equal to your Resources skill. At any given time, you may use or loan out items with a total refresh cost up to one less than the refresh cost of this power. You do not receive the Item Of Power discount. If you have the Tracing power, then you may summon and dismiss these Items Of Power out of and into thin air. If not, you must treat them as physical objects.

PS: I'm thinking of folding Flesh Forgery and Tracing together. Thoughts?