Author Topic: Parrying with a Shotgun or Rifle?  (Read 4936 times)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Parrying with a Shotgun or Rifle?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 10:52:35 PM »
Thanks for the laugh, I love the links. . .

Oh and damn am I happy to see other vets, or currently serving soldiers here. . .

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 12:33:03 AM »
I can't recomend a Mosin-Nagent enough in this category.

AK vs AR vs Mosin-Nagent

I'm planning on getting one.

I want an M44 to go hog hunting with.  I like the bayonet on it.  The potential to hunt with the bayonet out, and potentially have a handy spear if a 300 lb pig charges me appeals to my survival instinct. :P

Something like an M44 I would let a PC use as a melee weapon or a firearm.

In fact, I have an item of power in my campaign that specifically states it can be used as a melee weapon.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/let-s-keep-austin-a-little-less-weird/items/terror-cannon
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 02:24:17 PM »
I want an M44 to go hog hunting with.  I like the bayonet on it.  The potential to hunt with the bayonet out, and potentially have a handy spear if a 300 lb pig charges me appeals to my survival instinct. :P
I know a guy down here that goes hoggin every year, he never goes with out someone on backup carrying a boar spear.

But a Nagant with a good bayonet would do fine in a pinch.  ;)

For PCs though, how in the hell are they going to carry it around concealed?  They'd have to use magic.  Now we need to come up with ways for a Gun Toting Wizard to protect his ammo... cause a Nagant would probably survive a modern Wizards natural hexing.  It'll jam every 3 or 4 shots anyway...  :D

Offline Kommisar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 08:17:51 PM »
LOL

I'd look at anyone funny if they suggested using a bayonet for hunting... EXCEPT for hunting hogs.  I grew up in the swamps and marshes of Georgia and I fear hogs more than I do snakes and gators.

Most of the World War II era battle rifles were very sturdy and solid weapons.  And a lot heavier than a modern battle rifle with solid wood furniture to boot.  Not to be to blunt or insensitive, but you could beat a man to death with a Garand and still expect it to fire right after.

I would simply assign any given weapon a number of stresses and, possibly, an armor value.  This would include consequences as well; just for fun and flavor.  You know, hey, your rifle now has the moderate consequence Jam-Happy or Untrue Barrel.

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 08:23:26 PM »
I would simply assign any given weapon a number of stresses and, possibly, an armor value.  This would include consequences as well; just for fun and flavor.  You know, hey, your rifle now has the moderate consequence Jam-Happy or Untrue Barrel.

For an Equipment Is Important game, that sounds like a perfect solution.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 11:53:18 PM »
For an Equipment Is Important game, that sounds like a perfect solution.

I agree.

And resources+craftsmanship could fix the weapon, getting rid of the consequences it took.

It's an elegant solution, but kind of crunchy.  Heck, combat can take a while as is - could you imagine dealing with stress for weapons too!?  :P
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 03:08:40 AM »
I agree.

And resources+craftsmanship could fix the weapon, getting rid of the consequences it took.

It's an elegant solution, but kind of crunchy.  Heck, combat can take a while as is - could you imagine dealing with stress for weapons too!?  :P

I also love to play GURPS.  I love crunchy...  in fact I'm constantly having a knee-jerk reaction to DFRPG's soggy edges of storytellingness.  It's not what I'm used to.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 03:35:46 AM »
This argument is trending a bit too much to realism.  How do you break a gun in-game?  You have the antagonist make a Declaration with Guns, Weapons, or Fists (whcihever is appropriate) that his latest blow has imposed the 'Broken' Aspect on the gun that was being used to parry his melee attack.

The PC can make a Craftsmanship roll to remove the Aspect.

You might want to read the opening paragraphs of the short story Day Off, where Harry goes off about realism...

There are also stunts in Spirit of the Century where characters can use 'improvised' melee weapons which (beer bottle, chair, etc) which can then break after successful uses.  And again, while something like a rifle might not break after being used to wack something, or keep something from wacking you, some of the springs and other small moving bits inside might not be where they're supposed to be in order to fire safely...

If I had to use a gun as a melee weapon and wanted to still use it as a gun afterwards, I'd go with a M1903 Springfield, or a M1912 Winchester myself. 

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 10:40:22 AM »
The intrepid hero with the most toys carries one of these:

..that has been enchanted as an item of power to shoot holy saw blades.

:P

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
  • You suck. You suck diseased moose wang, Marcone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 12:46:29 PM »
^ this

nice
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 04:10:59 PM »
The intrepid hero with the most toys carries one of these:

..that has been enchanted as an item of power to shoot holy saw blades.

:P

Like buzz saw blades?

Offline comprex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 04:16:51 PM »
This argument is trending a bit too much to realism. 

Can I use this, please?

Offline Kommisar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 10:13:18 PM »
Having played GURPS for well over a decade now... I hate crunchy!  I would only go with stresses and such for a weapon under 2 circumstances:

1)  The weapon is used in a non-standard way.  Such as using your AK-47 to parry an axe swing from a big guy.

2)  It otherwise would make sense.  A catch all reason for odd things.

I would not track this sort of thing for every weapon all the time.  An alternative is to just skip the stress tracking for the weapon and go right to consequences for the weapon in the same manner one works out a concession.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 02:37:19 AM »
Having played GURPS for well over a decade now... I hate crunchy!  I would only go with stresses and such for a weapon under 2 circumstances:

1)  The weapon is used in a non-standard way.  Such as using your AK-47 to parry an axe swing from a big guy.

2)  It otherwise would make sense.  A catch all reason for odd things.

I would not track this sort of thing for every weapon all the time.  An alternative is to just skip the stress tracking for the weapon and go right to consequences for the weapon in the same manner one works out a concession.

Well, if you don't like crunchy, don't use "Fuego" for prolonged periods of time, a quick blast should just leave 'em crispy.  And "Arctis" is right out as well.

Seriously though, for in-game play I would generally handle such a situation by taking into account what is occurring.  If the player is using a gun to parry a Weapons attack from another character, or a Fists attack from a character with Inhuman Strength or better, that I'd put an Aspect on the gun, something like "I'm a gun, not a billy club!" which would last until the character has a chance to have someone check/fix the gun.  In the mean time, I would have 'fun' with the Aspect, and the player would have the chance to get Fate points, and/or spend them to keep using the gun anyway.  In short, I would basically just skip a weapon stress track altogether if what happens could damage the weapon.

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Novembermike

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 02:06:27 AM »
I'd probably let someone parry with a fairly basic weapon (break open shotgun, revolver, musket etc) without anything happening, but if someone mishandles a complex weapon like an SMG or precision rifle I'd add an aspect to it. An automatic weapon would get something I could compel for a jam and a precision weapon I would compel against an aimed shot.