Author Topic: Shirt Quotes: Buy Dresden Stuff!  (Read 284457 times)

Offline jdrum00

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Shirt Quotes: Buy Dresden Stuff!
« Reply #795 on: November 09, 2014, 08:04:49 AM »
So, there's nothing wrong licensing-wise with this sort of thing? I'm glad, because I found the Teespring shirt independently (http://teespring.com/macsbrownbottle), ordered one, and then saw someone else wearing one at our local RenFest last weekend! (In fact, I just joined the forums so that I could look to see if I should be sending his agent five bucks or something. :) )

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #796 on: November 09, 2014, 09:15:09 PM »
So, there's nothing wrong licensing-wise with this sort of thing? I'm glad, because I found the Teespring shirt independently (http://teespring.com/macsbrownbottle), ordered one, and then saw someone else wearing one at our local RenFest last weekend! (In fact, I just joined the forums so that I could look to see if I should be sending his agent five bucks or something. :) )

There is a problem, but until Jim, his agent, and I can sort out how to satisfy fan demand without stepping on anybody's fun, we're kind of looking the other way.  It's a source of major stress in my life when I see folks selling their designs, because I want to say something, but I don't know what. 

My current favorite idea is to hold periodic t-shirt contests to get new designs added to the official store, with profits split between the creator and Jim, but that would require Fred or me to have the time to run said contests. :D Another option might be for folks to seek out Jim's approval to sell their designs (as GillyPerkyGoth did), maybe with a special graphic to indicate to buyers that they have permission and an honor system that a certain percentage of their profits be donated to a charity of Jim's choice.

We want to preserve the power of Jim's copyright, but we also don't want to alienate fans who just want to show their love of the series.  Any suggestions for how to do so are welcome!

If you're looking to compensate Jim or his agent, I suggest you make a donation to Jim's favorite charity, Missouri Pit Bull Rescue.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 05, 2015, 02:04:30 PM »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 25, 2015, 11:21:36 PM »
oh
my
god

http://society6.com/product/where-i-come-from-there-is-no-try_t-shirt#11=50&4=87

I'll have to host a pic later for this post.

Oh man...I want it so bad.  But I am trying to be respectful of copyright/tradmark/good fan manners.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 19, 2015, 12:32:08 AM »
AndiSue,

The only thing wrong with the shirt in that link (and some others that I have seen) is that only current fans of The Dresden Files would have any idea what it represents. To me, it looks like some low-resolution video game.

Everyone,

If fans want to make merchandise based on Jims' intellectual property, it would be much better to get Jim's permission beforehand. As a very minimum they should put something on the design to give Jim credit and advertise his books. Text does not cost that much, and many vendors provide it free with their products. The donations that Priscellie and I mentioned would also help.

For the most part, the book covers are Chris McGrath's work. Why there are not more of these in the Café Press Dresden shop is a mystery to me. The Café Press Jim Butcher.Com Store could use some new material, too.

8) :) 8)

So, everything at Cafe Press/Jim Butcher Store is legit merchandise made with Jim's approval?
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #801 on: October 19, 2015, 12:45:12 AM »
CafePress is a site that lets anyone upload anything--it's not a Jim-only site.  The CafePress Dresden shop linked above is fair game, though.  It's run by cover artist Chris McGrath, on a licensing deal with Jim.  (Which surprises me, actually. I thought it was just a temporary arrangement.  Glad they worked out something more permanent. :D)

General rule of thumb: if it's linked from the official store, it's Jim-approved! 

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #802 on: October 19, 2015, 11:18:41 PM »
Grimm is holding his hat in his hand. It's semi-obscured by the text. :D

Offline Akrasiel

• Posty McPostington
  • I am Fallen, but only because I was pushed...
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook, if you're brave enough.
« Reply #803 on: January 24, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »
How about a "Property of Executive Priority Health" gym shirt, maybe a tank or a light tee?

I'd love to buy more official Dresden shirts and such, but as a person of size and length I find 3xl to be tough to maintain as a t-shirt size. I know it's usually a more costly hassle (which is why most don't do it) but maybe expanded sizing would be a benefit. I've bought a few of the freelance Dresden themed shirts on teespring but only because they can get the size I need... At least now I won't have to feel guilty about it. I just wanna rep the brand @.@
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:13:08 PM by Akrasiel »
Archangel of Justice, Fairness, Harmony, and Vengeance, angel of the church of Philadelphia.

Sometimes the first step to forgiveness is realizing the other person is a complete idiot...

Offline Resa

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Shirt Quotes
« Reply #804 on: April 01, 2016, 07:55:35 AM »
Does it have to be a quote?  Or would you be open to suggestions such as:

(front) The first rule of fairy maid service is you do not talk about fairy maid service.

(back) The Dresden Files.  Good clean fun.

LOVE THIS! 

Offline Jetspawn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 02, 2016, 05:41:36 AM »
I'm buying the MacAnally's Pub shirt. and the yadda shirt. and The building was on fire....k you guys can just clothe me for the next year.

Offline KipIngram

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 27, 2018, 10:10:31 PM »
Ah, so many of those are good.  I'm down for a SplatterCon shirt for sure.  And the Pizza Lord one - yeah.

Ok, I can't see the previous entries anymore - did anyone suggest "Bring it, Darth Bathrobe!"

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 06, 2018, 12:22:58 PM »
I like that one.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline KipIngram

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 09, 2018, 12:19:51 PM »
If you're looking to compensate Jim or his agent, I suggest you make a donation to Jim's favorite charity, Missouri Pit Bull Rescue.

Jim's my favorite author ever, so I really want to behave in a way he's content with.  My feeling about things like this is that there's a difference between "cases that involve profit" and cases that don't.  My wife and I got invited to a costume party a few years ago, and I went as Dresden.  Put a good bit of effort into procuring and making the props (I thought my staff turned out particularly well).  I even thought about (but didn't have time) boring out the top of the staff and putting a red light in there so I could make the runes glow.

Anyway, it didn't occur to me that I might have been stepping on any sort of toes - I didn't make any money in the situation and I figured it was a form of free advertising for the series.  Is that how you guys would look at that as well?

Oh, funny story around that.  A day or two after the party it was Halloween itself - I wore the costume for handing out candy to the kids.  At one point I'd stepped out into the front yard, and was standing in the grass near the sidewalk with the staff planted in the ground and my head bowed down a little.  The costume was modeled after the cover shots, so included a hat.  The brim hid my face to some extent.

At one point while I was standing there a kid comes down the sidewalk and turns up our walkway.  As he passed me, I raised my head and turned toward him.  Poor kid nearly jumped out of his skin.  As he recovered, he said "DUDE - I thought you were a decoration."

Pretty hilarious and one of my "fun times" memories.  :-)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:25:10 PM by KipIngram »