Author Topic: White Court Virgin Question  (Read 4656 times)

Offline MacShidhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
White Court Virgin Question
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:08:20 AM »
We ran into a situation where the White Court Virgin had the opportunity to kill a goblin using her emotional vampire power.  I would like to hear everyone's opinions.  Would she have become a full vampire if she had done that or does it only happen if she kills a human? 

Sam
Full Assed FTW!

DV MacShidhe v1.2 YR2 FR 0.75 BK++  RP++++ JB++ TH+ WG ?CL+ SW BC+ MC SH [Murphy++, Molly--, Elaine -]

NERO Plot Merc - "Have Mod, Will Travel"

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: White Court Virgin Question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:10:58 AM »
We ran into a situation where the White Court Virgin had the opportunity to kill a goblin using her emotional vampire power.  I would like to hear everyone's opinions.  Would she have become a full vampire if she had done that or does it only happen if she kills a human? 

Sam

I would guess it only counts if a human is killed.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
I would say if she kills, she changes. To me it wouldn't be about what you kill, it would be about the act of taking life for food.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »
If you feed that beast it is let loose.  If the goblin qualifies as food then that's all that matters.  Personally, I'd say it does (otherwise the hunger couldn't eat it) but that's probably something your group should agree on.

As an aside, I have problem with WC virgins.
The Black Court breed like undead rabbits.  It literally takes only minutes to go from "Alive and well and wonder who just walked in the room" to "dead" to "Yes my master I live again for you".
The Red Court takes longer - usually (Susan didn't take that long) - but they can still rebuild their numbers in a short time.
The White Court can't build its number quickly.  18 - 19 years after you decide you need to have a new WCV around you've got this teenager and for some reason you don't make sure that nature takes its course? You don't hire a hooker and send it to your son's room as a birthday present? You don't pick out your daughter's first lover (making sure that the first time will be everything you need it to be) and ensure that it's hormones, not love, when she has her first meal?

What, you aren't a die hard schemer? Then how do you stay alive in the White Court?

In the one book where we met a White Court virgin she is central to some of her father's schemes, to the point where he turns his back on a wizard to check on her when it looks like she might be in trouble.  My reading of that book was that the only reason she was still a virgin is because of that Death Curse, that her father wanted to break that curse before she transformed so he could be her second "lover" and break her (the way he had broken his other daughters).

Meanwhile, there's the echo of a hunger in the back of the White Court virgin's mind.  Sometimes he/she zones and almost feeds without making a conscious decision to.  Then's human nature to consider - we are drawn to emotions.  Whether it's teen drive for sex or the need to comfort a scared person (these two can combine at scary movies) there's the instinct to reach out to other people.  An instinct that can unleash the demon inside of a White Court virgin.

Which is a long way of saying that I can't see there being many more White Court virgins than there are knights of the cross.  Maybe a few more, maybe less.

Richard

Offline My Dark Sunshine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
I hate to compare the two, but if a Wizard killed said Goblin with magic would you award an instance of Lawbreaker? Whilst not a great or entirely accurate comparison, both have a fair amount to deal with a characters inner-self, & both can bite you in the ass even if you didn't intend to kill with your power.

Personally, for a Goblin I would say it doesn't count. They are monsters, beings of nature. They lack the human capacity of free-will, which makes human desires oh-so-more, well, more. My own (admittedly completely unfounded) opinion is that it should apply to killing a mortal or semi-mortal, not a monster. But then, I have no real evidence to back my opinion, and I can easily see merit to the opposite opinion.

Nice post Richard, some interesting things you've brought up.

At the end of the day MacShidhe, go with what works best for your group.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 02:36:27 AM »
Meanwhile, there's the echo of a hunger in the back of the White Court virgin's mind.  Sometimes he/she zones and almost feeds without making a conscious decision to.  Then's human nature to consider - we are drawn to emotions.  Whether it's teen drive for sex or the need to comfort a scared person (these two can combine at scary movies) there's the instinct to reach out to other people.  An instinct that can unleash the demon inside of a White Court virgin.

Which is a long way of saying that I can't see there being many more White Court virgins than there are knights of the cross.  Maybe a few more, maybe less.

This may be true of the Raith family, however it's debatable whether scaring or depressing others is human nature. I would think that there are probably a lot more Skavis or Malvora virgins about.

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 09:27:11 AM »
I'd say that depends on their "refresh" value.  Even you haven't given a specific value to this villain, he has one.  If its negative, then no he/she is in the clear.  If positive, like for one of your main baddies, then I'd say yes.  But that's just me.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »
This may be true of the Raith family, however it's debatable whether scaring or depressing others is human nature. I would think that there are probably a lot more Skavis or Malvora virgins about.

I'd also note that going by the books it doesn't seem like a demon starts off very active.  A White Court Virgin seems to have a less aggressive demon...and the game rules back this up by NOT giving them a hunger track.  I'd also say that the demon doesn't start out there...seems to show up in force well after puberty going by White Night.  Add to this that they don't respond well to positive emotions like love, and it is fairly easy to see how they can exist.  Emotions like love are a strong part of the human condition too, but they aren't something that can be fed on.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 11:46:40 AM »
I'd say that the WC virgin does become a WC vampire but due to the circumstances of the first kill, the vampire cannot be compelled to feed on humans unless he has voluntarily done so. So he could be compelled to feed on other monsters but not humans.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 03:24:09 PM »
I'd go with the feeding on humans as well... you don't see much of the White Court making a habit of farming monsters, they prey on Average Joe and Everyday Ellen, there's something about humans that fulfill some dietary requirement.

Stands to reason that is what they'd have to snack on to activate their Wonder Vampire Powers.

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »
I don't know. That seems to be a Really Big Loophole. I can easily see someone go around and just feed on non humans then and they would never have to worry about turning full WCV. If you don't want the character to turn when feeding on non humans, then you should make it so they can't feed off of non-humans, or at least not get any benefit from it. If they get full benefit they get full consequences. Thematically speaking that seems appropriate. I remember on occasion Harry saying "What go around comes around" (or am I just making that up?).
"The door is ajar"

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 04:29:26 PM »
I'd tend to favor that if you feed, and it satisfies your hunger, then it qualifies as that 'first kill'.

(Now I have an image of two white court vampires in a fae bar arguing "Tastes Great!"  "Less Filling!")

The reason not to farm monsters is simple predator logic.  Monsters can fight back; it's riskier.  Injured predators become prey.  There's also the Accords to think of; letting your clan Feed on members of another faction is probably a violation.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »
I think there is the matter of the soul fae don't have souls so tecnically killing them is something entirely different from killing a person, I think it is the destruction of the soul rather than the draining of life energy that turns a white as if feeding by itself could turn them then they would all be vamps so feeding on a monster to death should not make you a vampire as it only eating more life energy than usual rather than utterly de-humanising the character. 
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 01:09:28 AM »
I think there is the matter of the soul fae don't have souls so tecnically killing them is something entirely different from killing a person, I think it is the destruction of the soul rather than the draining of life energy that turns a white as if feeding by itself could turn them then they would all be vamps so feeding on a monster to death should not make you a vampire as it only eating more life energy than usual rather than utterly de-humanising the character. 

I agree.  Not that going around killing fae is a good thing, but you can kill fae tons of ways and not get any game mechanic laid upon you (that includes killing them with magic and not getting Lawbreaker).  One could say the game is bigoted in this regard...and they'd be right.  As a game mechanic it isn't that bad though, since humans are weak, pasty things, so such mechanics are the only thing giving them much significance for players (as far as game mechanics go).

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 01:49:42 AM »
If I remember correct soul gaze only works on creatures with souls and it dosen't work on Demons unless (unless they are linked to a person), Straight Fae and other assorted Nasties. So If she kills anything with a soul its murder if she dosen't she is merely causing its existence to sesate.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain