Author Topic: Paging Dr. Hicks, Dr. Fred Hicks please  (Read 18313 times)

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
Paging Dr. Hicks, Dr. Fred Hicks please
« on: January 19, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »
If Rumors From the Paranet isn't done writing yet, can we the fans make a few requests?

Such as:

The missing Magic/Anti-Magic Circle rules
Harry's Gravity Hammer spell from "It's My Birthday, Too" and "Changes"
Etc, etc...
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Paging Dr. Hicks, Dr. Fred Hicks please
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 03:31:19 PM »
I don't think we get any official attention here. there's been a number if questions that continue to go unanswered. its quite disappointing.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
I don't think we get any official attention here. there's been a number if questions that continue to go unanswered. its quite disappointing.

*boggles* Have you even tried emailing him directly? He's VERY responsive to player needs and requests. Here, however, there's no room service. :D

Plus, this is a discussion forum, not a help desk - as much as everyone here likes to help where they can, Fred's WAY too busy to do more with this forum than take care of administrative jobs.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 05:58:37 PM »
*boggles* Have you even tried emailing him directly? He's VERY responsive to player needs and requests. Here, however, there's no room service. :D

Plus, this is a discussion forum, not a help desk - as much as everyone here likes to help where they can, Fred's WAY too busy to do more with this forum than take care of administrative jobs.

Toggle all you want, I know a great deal of rpg companies who have at least some kind of semi-official presence on their forums - and on the dresdenfilesrpg.net, this is listed as the forum to go to.

Just off the top of my head: Strands of Fate by Voidstar, WotC, Arc Dream (Godlike, Wild Talents, Monsters and Other Childish Things, etc), just to name the first three that comes to mind where you can go to either a forum or mailing list and get at least some kind of semi-official answer with a simple post.

In fact, this is the first time in awhile where I have NOT been able to get at least a semi-official response with a.post on a forum or mailing list.

But I'll try emailing him.

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:09:13 PM »
Go here and send your message, Fred will respond within hours. It might not be on the forum proper, but it's very easy to get a quick response.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:27:33 PM »
^ What B said. In this day and time, it's pretty much a given that it's going to be necessary to try stuff more than one way. And I will toggle all I damn well please. ;) Joking aside, you'll find that Fred is actually MORE accessible, with far more personal, direct and immediate responses, than many, many other game developers. The guy is all about customer service, bending over backwards to make things happen for people who've bought his stuff (because he's a gamer and UNDERSTANDS what it's like), so it's a little unfair to call it disappointing that one method for asking questions doesn't pour out responses, especially when there's always more than one way to pet a cat.

But do be sure to mention to him that the dresdenfilesrpg.net points to this forum for answers, which (as you found) leads to fellow-player feedback and not contact with the developer himself. As with the aforementioned devotion to customer service, I think he'll see his way clear to indicate BOTH paths and to clarify the difference between them.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:46:39 PM »
toggle... oops! Damned cell phone spell checker. :)

Ok, sorry if my response sounded a bit harsh. Up until now, using an official forum worked quite well. Heck, some developers even have a presence on non-official forums, such as RPG.net, so going between those has always gotten some kind of official response.

So, how DARE Fred deviate from the norm... heh!

Ok, I'll email him my questions. In fact, I'll point out that several questions had been cropping up on the board more than once, and perhaps he can find the time to come answer them. If not, I'll be happy if *I* get the answers... then I'll come share them. ;)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 06:56:41 PM »
:D I prefer "toggle". Much more entertainment potential! No harm done, man; my usual chop-busting approach easily comes across as a bit strong pretty often, for that matter.

Point of interest: Forums are the standard medium, because most designers feel a need to keep a buffer between them and customers/fans. Fred's all about the personal touch, however - dude is On The Job. "Normal" would actually be a step DOWN for him. ;)

You really ought to dig up one of the videos online of this past weekend's MarsCon Q&A session with Jim Butcher; he talks about how dead-on the DFRPG team was (to the point that they had figured out some things and he had to say, "No no no! Don't put that in! It's going to be in book 18!" :D ). I was sitting next to Fred, in fact, and he was Tweetslinging fast and furious every time there was something he thought people would be interested in knowing.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »
Well, you are right, I sure got an immediate reply.

Open mouth, insert foot.

I hadn't given myself enough time to come off my high horse after you guys pointed out he was easily reached. So, he responded right away... with the comment that he would have to wait to answer, as the earlier part of my message had a  "scolding tone to it." And he thought he couldn't respond rationally until he had a chance to cool off.

I'll give him credit for this, I appreciate someone who can point out he has to cool down rather than fire back with both barrels. I just wish I'd had the same wisdom and thought out my question better before firing it off.

So... oops! I already replied with an apology... I feel like an ass now.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 07:55:17 PM »
More proof that Fred is The Man.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »
True. Hope he's cool after my apology.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »
The fact that he responded the way he did just shows again how reasonable he is. Can you imagine if you had used a "scolding tone" with most other developers? You'd get an email bomb.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 09:26:24 PM »
n fact, I'll point out that several questions had been cropping up on the board more than once, and perhaps he can find the time to come answer them. If not, I'll be happy if *I* get the answers... then I'll come share them. ;)

Excellent - I opted to ask him a few of my questions, and learned that you had asked him first, so when you get something, please definitely share them!
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 02:01:45 AM »
Excellent - I opted to ask him a few of my questions, and learned that you had asked him first, so when you get something, please definitely share them!

Well, he answered my questions, though he didn't say anything about my apology, so I suppose I'm on his sh*t list now. Sigh... ah well... guess I deserved it.

Anyway, here were my questions and his answers:

Me: Is there any one good plcae to go for official answers other than using this system? A mailing list? Forum somewhere else? Communion with the dead?

Fred: The Fate community relies heavily on peer authority. That means your fellow players and readers' answers are more readily available and just as good as ones we might be able to provide.

So the forum you're already on? Official. Peer authority.

The other places I could point you, like the FateRPG Yahoo Group? Official. Peer authority.

Official word-from-the-publisher? That concept doesn't play, here.

My thoughts, here, not emailed to Fred: I don't entirely buy the whole peer authority thing, simply because they bothered to publish the game in the first place, with rules they made, playtested, and put into print. With that in mind, I don't grok the entire peer authority thing. Note, I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying that it doesn't feel right. Perhaps someone can explain this mindset to me?

Me: How are magical circles supposed to be implemented in the game? In YS, all it says is "it should behave somewhat like a threshold," but that seems inadequate. Up to now, while Dresden had Cauncy try to break through that circle, it seems that, overall, circles are utterly impregnable to magical energies. How should this be implemented in a game?

Fred: Honestly didn't feel like it was all that inadequate if you combine the description of thresholds found on YS230 with the notion of how one builds spell effects. You treat a circle like a block (the way a threshold acts like a block), that if you push through it, reduces your powers. Take a look at page YS230: as a block, as a suppressor, as a source of harm, etc. All of these concepts apply. The circle manifests as part of the spell effect you're constructing. Want to construct a Legendary threshold-equivalent magic circle? Your difficulty target starts at 8. Etc.

My thoughts, here, not emailed to Fred: But how does a normal person then build a magical circle, when they draw it in dirt with a stick? I'd really like to email him about this, but... well, see below.

Me: Fire: Dresden goes around setting people and places on fire all the time, but there are no rules for ongoing damage applied by the players; only aspects like On Fire, which does no ongoing damage, just becomes taggable; Claws with Venomous; environmental damage defined by the GM; and grapples, which does a mere 1 damage per turn, which seems appropriate for choking someone, but not for setting someone on fire. Should there not be some means of creating ongoing damage by the player (setting them on fire, whether by fire spell or molotov cocktail) that goes beyond 1 damage grapples?

Fred: Nope. You're thinking about simulating the fire of physical concepts. The game does not simulate physical concepts. It simulates story concepts. A story that goes like "The target burned; then he burned some more; then he burned some more; then he burned some more" is dull as dirt. What fire does in a story is force people to take action or change what they'd otherwise do (that's where tagging and invoke-for-effect and compel logic from aspects should play in). That said, if you want to construct your "ongoing fire" spell like a grapple, certainly, go ahead and do that. Or if you want to create one spell that makes two attacks, the second one delayed, go ahead and do that if your GM's willing to allow that kind of thing (but man, that's gonna be a difficult one). But the aspect notion should really be doing most of the heavy lifting here because of the role that fire plays in the story.

My thoughts, here, not emailed to Fred: And how does this work then? How is the game played with a target on fire? A compel every turn by the GM? The PC compelling the target to behave in some fashion? Something else? See, someone on fire, to me, should be taking damage in some fashion, and it just drives me nuts not thinking that way.

Me: Constructs: OW defines all kinds of different constructs, such as true golems (AI+natural materials), spell constructs, demons wearing ecto-suits, etc. Well, there's been a lot of discussion on how to make these other than GM fiat and hand-waving, and we are getting frustrated at the lack of any kind of guidelines whatsoever on this. So, the question here is... how are these constructed by a player character (as, obviously, a GM can just handwave behind the scenes for what his NPCs have).

Fred: Well, that's the thing. The player doesn't do that, really. The character gets the name of a demon or figures out a way to construct some kind of artificial behavioral patterning and hopes to hell the guesswork and research is on track. The reasons the rules are a bit soft around anything having to do with summoning is because we can't know what you're trying to pull off and even if we did we don't know in advance what the context of your game is when you're doing it. Go to summon a minor demon to answer a few questions, you might end up with no answer, or something incredibly powerful that you're going to find yourself in a contest of wills with. Call for a sylph, get the Queen of Air and Darkness. That's why there's GM fiat as a big component of that, because the GM is going to be inhabiting what you "create" and offering you challenges to maintain your control over it.

(More on this below.)

My thoughts, here, not emailed to Fred: Ok, so generally, they really don't envision PCs doing constructs.

Me: In other words, how, precisely, would a PC wizard use thaumaturgy to make a Victor Sells' Scorpion, Cassius' snakes spell, or ward hounds? There are no guidelines or rules whatsoever on how to stat out such magical efforts for a PC to go by.

Fred: For those, honestly, I'd run it along the lines of what it takes to create a spell that kills such things. Think about it: taking out a target means you get to utterly define what happens to it. Such as "becomes subservient to me". So what would it take to build a thaumaturgy spell that one-shot kills the above? That's probably the equal or the ballpark of what it would take to utterly control such a creature. Shorter-term control could orient on reliably inflicting consequences of an impermanent nature.  Just to moderate things a little more, I might also tack on a difficulty surcharge equal to twice the refresh cost of the creature's abilities (drawing directly from the stated logic in stunt construction that 1 refresh = 2 shifts of some kind of effect) -- or, if your GM doesn't find the notion of "you must 'kill' it to control it" appealing, use that as your summoning difficulty guideline instead. (The breadth of magic in DF is so great, we do expect people to extrapolate from existing principles rather than provide explicit step by steps for every possible thing.)

My thoughts, here, not emailed to Fred: Ok, makes sense to me.

Me: Of course, I suppose anyone making a construct will have to apply that against magical item slots or some such?

Fred: I wouldn't involve magic item slots at all. Constructed things are usually very short term. That said if you think you can build an enchanted item that produces the amounts of shifts needed to summon, bind, and control the thing in question, you could end up using slots for that item for a longer-term thing. The spell effect necessary defines what you can achieve in that regard. But really: long-term constructs and so forth are not the stuff of the novels. You don't see wizards dripping with long-term construct creatures; they're hard, and one of the few examples we have were created by Ancient Mai.

My thoughts, here, not emailed to Fred: Again, so not really expecting any construct-construction thingies here.

And then he send me an email chastising me for my attitude, even though I apologized. Ah well. Again, I deserved it, I guess, and now I'm afraid about asking him follow-up questions, so I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut from here on out. Shame on me  :(

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 02:44:41 AM »
Me: Is there any one good plcae to go for official answers other than using this system? A mailing list? Forum somewhere else? Communion with the dead?

Fred: The Fate community relies heavily on peer authority. That means your fellow players and readers' answers are more readily available and just as good as ones we might be able to provide.

So the forum you're already on? Official. Peer authority.

The other places I could point you, like the FateRPG Yahoo Group? Official. Peer authority.

Official word-from-the-publisher? That concept doesn't play, here.

My thoughts, here, not emailed to Fred: I don't entirely buy the whole peer authority thing, simply because they bothered to publish the game in the first place, with rules they made, playtested, and put into print. With that in mind, I don't grok the entire peer authority thing. Note, I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying that it doesn't feel right. Perhaps someone can explain this mindset to me?

One of the things that I've found unique about DFRPG (and Fate by extension) is that it's all about the table coming together to create a story. Sure there's a GM but his job is more to facilitate the creation of drama and adversity, as well as help the others with the rules, etc. He's not god, and he's not the enemy. This attitude is just an extension of that concept. We're all trying to collaborate to create the best story (and storytelling method) we can. An important thing to remember though is that you are one of us, a peer so to speak. If something doesn't work for you or you think you have a better idea, then by all means do what you would like.

Me: Fire: Dresden goes around setting people and places on fire all the time, but there are no rules for ongoing damage applied by the players; only aspects like On Fire, which does no ongoing damage, just becomes taggable; Claws with Venomous; environmental damage defined by the GM; and grapples, which does a mere 1 damage per turn, which seems appropriate for choking someone, but not for setting someone on fire. Should there not be some means of creating ongoing damage by the player (setting them on fire, whether by fire spell or molotov cocktail) that goes beyond 1 damage grapples?

Fred: Nope. You're thinking about simulating the fire of physical concepts. The game does not simulate physical concepts. It simulates story concepts. A story that goes like "The target burned; then he burned some more; then he burned some more; then he burned some more" is dull as dirt. What fire does in a story is force people to take action or change what they'd otherwise do (that's where tagging and invoke-for-effect and compel logic from aspects should play in). That said, if you want to construct your "ongoing fire" spell like a grapple, certainly, go ahead and do that. Or if you want to create one spell that makes two attacks, the second one delayed, go ahead and do that if your GM's willing to allow that kind of thing (but man, that's gonna be a difficult one). But the aspect notion should really be doing most of the heavy lifting here because of the role that fire plays in the story.

My thoughts, here, not emailed to Fred: And how does this work then? How is the game played with a target on fire? A compel every turn by the GM? The PC compelling the target to behave in some fashion? Something else? See, someone on fire, to me, should be taking damage in some fashion, and it just drives me nuts not thinking that way.

One of the things you should remember is that a compel (or invocation for effect) can have many different results. If you put an aspect of "on fire" on a normal person then it's totally logical to compel them (once) to a "taken out" result, like perhaps he's taken out because he's writhing on the ground on fire, or maybe they're badly burned and shock is setting in, etc. In addition you should be able to invoke the aspect in further attacks to increase the damage done as if you're hitting the burned area and causing further damage. Most people are going to try real hard to not be "on fire" anymore so if they're sturdy enough to withstand it originally then likely they'll maneuver soon to remove the aspect.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:47:52 AM by sinker »