Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries Version II  (Read 133556 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II
« Reply #480 on: July 10, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »
having a soul, and, seemingly ensuingly, having free will ? faerie have neither.
If you think that is the significant difference. But both are still vague concepts we do not really understand. And rather difficult to use in a diagnostic test. Even with magic. The people who lost them do not think it important

And a lot of people never bother thinking about these two things.  Watch out for Kincaid if you try to exclude him from humanity because of that :)

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 10, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
In Grave Peril at the graveyard scene, and at the beginning of Summer Knight when Harry met Mab, it was hammered home that Fae can't really work their magic on you unless they already have a handle on you.
I thought that was that they couldn't kill you unless they already had a handle on you. They are allowed to mess in other ways though.
Or am I wrong?
I thought it was just the Queens not all fae

This is a problem, because we've been given some conflicting information in the books, or at least information that doesn't seem to fit together properly. Still waiting for a WoJ to clarify. In Ask JimTM form, I guess the question would be:

Would you(Jim) please clarify exactly who the Faerie Queens can personally kill and who they can't? At various times in Summer Knight and in the rest of the series, we've been told or seen evidence that:

-- The Sidhe Knights are the only ones allowed to act in matters not directly related to the Faerie Courts. (SK, Ch. 10)
-- The Queens are not allowed to kill anyone who isn't a member of their own Court. (SK, Ch. 10)

And yet:

-- We've seen fae servants of the Faerie Queens kill and attempt to kill mortals many times.
-- Aurora was able to try to kill Harry just fine, but was unable to harm Murphy. (SK, Ch. 20-21)
-- When Harry is preparing to deal with Mab to become the Winter Knight, he thinks to himself that Mab can't kill a mortal, only make them wish they were dead. The implication seems to include the Winter Knight. (Changes, Ch. 30)

So which mortals can the Faerie Queens kill? Bob tells us one thing, but evidence in the books indicates something else.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 10, 2012, 08:11:03 PM »
I've noticed something in Dead Beat that wa interesting. When Cowl lifts his arms to touch the Darkhollow, his arms are described as "long, weathered arms covered in old scars." NOW, the only person I can recall having this "weathered" descriptions is Injun Joe. Infact, many times that Injun Joe is introduced in the story this word appears. Theory, Injun Joe being a healer finds an injured Elaine, heals her, then recruits her. Joe is very interested in aspects of life and death that could tie into a benevolent form of Necromancy. Does this theory hold water?

It does not, I'm sorry to say. Listens-to-Wind showed up at Harry's house that very night to help heal the Wardens, and there was no mention at all of him looking the slightest bit battered or bruised. According to all sources in DB, having the Darkhallow explode in your face would be a somewhat damaging experience, and in White Night, Cowl-- if it was actually Cowl-- still moved in such a way that it conveyed that he was in pain, which seemed to confirm the idea that Cowl had been badly injured by the Darkhallow crashing.

Of course, Cowl could've been injured by something else, and he might have been just fine after the Darkhallow ended, allowing him to go heal people at Harry's apartment as Injun Joe. But that doesn't seem like the safest bet.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 10, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
Okay, I've added two questions:

-How was Maggie Sr. connected to the Outsiders?
-How do the Laws of Magic work?

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make the second question less vague?  It was the best I could come up with, given the amount of discussion in the Laws of Magic thread.

I have posted a possible answer to the first question here!: Maggie LeFay and the Outsiders

'Course, I made that thread almost a year ago, so it'll be going away soon. Maybe I should re-post it or something, since nothing has changed to alter the theory since then.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 10, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »
I have posted a possible answer to the first question here!: Maggie LeFay and the Outsiders

'Course, I made that thread almost a year ago, so it'll be going away soon. Maybe I should re-post it or something, since nothing has changed to alter the theory since then.
If you add in some WoJ quotes and text references, you might be able to get this theory into the display case of theories that is being developed.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #485 on: July 10, 2012, 09:31:52 PM »
-- The Queens are not allowed to kill anyone who isn't a member of their own Court. (SK, Ch. 10)
As I understand it, they're not able to kill anyone who's not involved in Faerie business.

-- We've seen fae servants of the Faerie Queens kill and attempt to kill mortals many times.
It's only a physical restriction for the queens--for the rest of the Faeries, it's at best a guideline.
-- Aurora was able to try to kill Harry just fine, but was unable to harm Murphy. (SK, Ch. 20-21)
See above: Harry was directly involved in Faerie business as Mab's emissary.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 10, 2012, 11:11:51 PM »
As I understand it, they're not able to kill anyone who's not involved in Faerie business.
It's only a physical restriction for the queens--for the rest of the Faeries, it's at best a guideline.See above: Harry was directly involved in Faerie business as Mab's emissary.

Yeah, but these are just guesses. The fact is, we've gotten information that doesn't fit together very well. There have been a lot of guesses made about how things are supposed to work-- I've made a few myself-- but this question is meant to get an official response from Jim someday, in the hope of clearing up the issue for good.

Offline Zohak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 11, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
Unless their is clauses that the Fae can act in the best interests.
Or like a mutual defense packet one nation[ the fae, angels, white court,ect] can act in the defense of all it just depends  who ever is the first to scene for offensive action.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 12, 2012, 03:27:02 AM »
It would stand to reason that any magical ward (even one with a Hellfire bonus!) would fall under said category and that a Warden could destroy one without harming themselves (unless it was containing something nasty ;)). Otherwise, the swords are completely useless.

There's bound to be a limit to the amount of power an enchanted Warden's sword has available to it. Whatever that limit is, it seems almost certain to be much less than the Hellfire-infused lines of fire that made up those two pentagrams. In which case, if Luccio had stabbed it with her sword, it probably would've gone the way of the Denarian who fell into them at the aquarium; that is, poof into instant metallic vapor. Luccio would've pulled back a much shorter sword.

Or maybe Cowl's superiors didn't take well to the fact that Dresden managed to outmaneouver him.

As a leader of the Black Council, if someone in your group is about to become a brand new god, do you nominate yourself for the role, or do you hand it off to one of your lackeys, and just pray they continue to follow orders after they've joined the Mount Olympus Mile-High Club?

Myself, I doubt very much that Cowl has any superiors in the hierarchy of The Circle/Black Council. He may be one among many top people, though, ranked equally with several others in the group.

He talks about HWWB having left a mark on him, after that junkie in Storm Front sees him on the policestation and mentions HWWB.

We know there's a mark; we don't know that it looks like HWWB. For one thing, Harry himself had no idea what the thing's name was when he met it, so how would Random Junkie Guy immediately know its name just from seeing an image of it? For that matter, how would he immediately be able to attach the term "wizard" to what he was seeing about Harry?

Thinking about it, I'm having doubts that Junkie Guy was getting all of his information from the Three-Eye drug. Unless it gave some additional, prophetic powers beyond just insight into the nature of what was seen. Or unless the guy had been taking so much of the drug that his mind was no longer tethered properly to his own time and body.

It was also implied that whatever mantle Ebenezar had in mind for Harry, claiming Deamonreach as santum kind of nixed the idea pretty thoroughly. I'm very curious to learn the full significance of that.

The quote from the book is:

Quote from: Turn Coat, Ch. 47
Rashid says that warning him about the island would be pointless. He’s a good judge of people, but I’m not so sure he’s right this time. The boy’s got a solid head on his shoulders, generally. And of all the wizards I know, he’s among the three or four I’d be willing to see take up that particular mantle. I trust his judgment.

That sounds to me like something on the island is the mantle Ebenezar is talking about. It's a job involving Demonreach, one that has the Merlin ready to shite kine, but which Eb thinks that Harry might be ready for. Or that's how it seems to me, anyway.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 12, 2012, 03:29:30 AM »
so if Kincaid is a Scion, doesn't that make Harry a Scion as well?

"What's the point of shooting if you're just going to miss?" He smiled, made a mime-gun of his thumb and index finger, and aimed at me. His thumb fell forward and he said, "I'm as human as you are, Dresden. I'll see you later." (Blood Rites)

Possible evidence in favor of this idea in the Harry's Possessiveness thread.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 12, 2012, 03:43:08 AM »
"Why did Lea burn Thomas when she kissed him?"

I originally suggested this theory a long time ago, but I can't see that it's been negated by anything since then, so I'll repeat it: the idea is that Lea's bargain with Susan gave her access, not only to Susan's memories of Harry, but to Susan's feelings toward him. Including, somehow, the true love protection that Susan had from Harry. Lea never actually removed any of Susan's memories, remember; she just covered them up, while simultaneously giving herself access to them.

My guess is that Lea created some sort of link between herself and Susan through those memories of Harry, and that with those feelings came some of the love that Susan felt for him, and that Harry felt for her. Because of this, as long as the connection was in place, Lea had access to Susan's true love protection. She decided to play around with it by kissing Thomas on the cheek and showing off the fact that it burned him.

The whole idea is pretty vague, because we've never been told anything about a spell like that, but it fits with Lea's pleased and amused demeanor at the time, as well as the timeline of the events.

Offline asetti

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 16, 2012, 05:40:11 PM »
There is also a theory that Lea loved either Maggie Sr or Harry's Father and is protected from the white court (ahla justine).
The death rate is the same for us as for anybody ... one person, one death, sooner or later.
Tunnel in the Sky (1955), Captain Helen Walker, Ch. 2

Offline WiseMan999

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 17, 2012, 01:00:29 AM »
There is also a theory that Lea loved either Maggie Sr or Harry's Father and is protected from the white court (ahla justine).
Wouldn't the protection have run out after about 40 years? I thought it had to be renewed?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #493 on: July 17, 2012, 03:02:16 AM »
Nope. Only if she's broken it, somehow, like by schtupping someone else.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline WiseMan999

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 17, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »
Nope. Only if she's broken it, somehow, like by schtupping someone else.
Didn't she do that with Harry earlier in the series? Or was it just an incredibly suggestive scene but no actual sex? My memory's fuzzy.