Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries Version II  (Read 133466 times)

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2011, 05:22:33 AM »
How did the RC gain the upper hand and usurp the positions of the (original) Mayan pantheon?

Presumably, they've only become more powerful with time and the power they stole, and...they're still somewhat afraid of what the original Mayan deities could/would do to them if they ever came back.  So how in the world did they manage to take over in the first place?!

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 05:25:09 AM »
bigger question, if i may..why did the old gods leave???

Not just the mayna, but all of them.

and vis a vis 'last call'..are theyr eturning?
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2011, 05:28:18 AM »
How did the RC gain the upper hand and usurp the positions of the (original) Mayan pantheon?

Presumably, they've only become more powerful with time and the power they stole, and...they're still somewhat afraid of what the original Mayan deities could/would do to them if they ever came back.  So how in the world did they manage to take over in the first place?!
Oblivion war, maybe?  Assuming RCVs weren't mortal, their knowledge of those gods wouldn't tie them to reality, and they did a switcheroo so the people believed in and worshiped the Lords of Outer Night, instead of the original old Mayan gods, who were thus consigned to oblivion.
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2011, 05:32:17 AM »
Hmm, now there's a possibility-- the RC simply stepped in when the post was left vacant, either momentarily or completely abandoned.

I'm not so sure that any of the old gods ever left, though, just went into dormancy/hiding/powersave mode during the (fairly global) rise of the Abrahamic religions.  Why they're coming to Chicago of all places, though....I mean, why would Greek minor deities and/or mythical figures up and travel several thousand miles away from their old seats of power (Greece and environs)?

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 05:40:38 AM »
the short story says:

"mortlas have forgottoen the gods..they think the white god drove out the many gods. but they are here. I am  here, mortal man."- Last call

"Indeed, we withdrew and gave the world into your keeping, and what has become of it.."

Ifshe is being truthfull, the pagan gods withdrew voluntariliy for reasons of their own, as yet unknown, and are now returning because they are not happy with what mortal man has done.

On a side note, I wonder ig the hidnu gods ever left..of all the ancient religions, it is the one that is being practiced today the most by far..over a billion hindus, alst i checked.

Odin? at his absolute top, he had maybe a few million worshippers.

thats a lot of faith magic to throw around..

Kali Shiva: Name to run away from, evry fast.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 11:14:34 PM »
It is never really established if there were original Mayan gods to start with, it could have been the reds the whole time. I am sure someone wants to jump in now and point of that it says in the book that the red king was afraid of the Mayan gods returning but let me point out that that particular quote also mentions that it could be that he is afraid of it being a archangel or spirit of light and most of all let me point out that this is Harry's opinion of what the red king could be thinking. Harry forming his opinion based on a few seconds glance at the red king and extrapolating from that. The red king is a being that is thousands of years old that Harry has never met before in his life. I think its a long shot that Harry is able to guess exactly what he his thinking.

And on top of that even if Harry did guess correctly as to what the King was thinking in that instant that still does not offer proof that there ever were Mayan gods after all even the red king who is like I said before thousands of years old and has presumably lived in that region for most of that time doesn't really believe that there ever where Mayan gods. He would be a pretty good person to know if there were some wouldn't he?

Having said all that I will now contradict what yall are thinking and say that I do believe that the Mayan gods did exist and I myself wonder what happened to them since I don't think the Red Court would have had the power to destroy them or drive them off. Now you are wondering if I do in fact believe in the Mayan gods existing why did I wast all that time writing about how we don't really know if they ever did. Well I guess I just like to be exsact in my understanding of the facts and also like to argue with myself so I might as well make you all privy to what goes on in my head.  ;)

He knew on­ly that it had hurt him when he had tried to mur­der the child. From his per­spec­tive, it could have been al­most any­thing—an archangel stand­ing guard, or a spir­it of light as ter­ri­ble as the Ick had been foul. I thought back to the voice com­ing from Mur­phy’s mouth, pro­nounc­ing judg­ment up­on the Red Court, and sud­den­ly un­der­stood what was mak­ing the Red King hes­itate, what he was re­al­ly think­ing: that the en­ti­ty over the al­tar might be some­thing he did not think ac­tu­al­ly ex­ist­ed—like maybe the re­al Kukul­can.
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 12:13:39 AM »
Either way, I'll add this to the list- do we need an asterisk, or not?
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2011, 02:05:29 AM »
This is great. Sticky requested ;D
And Chocolate is associated with love and love killed the Dinosaurs, you are a genius Sjsharks

TWCB-Dinosaurs

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 02:17:27 AM »
Oh, crap!  That means I actually have to go and neaten up! :o

<----lazy
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline nthnclls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 04:24:27 AM »
Hmm, now there's a possibility-- the RC simply stepped in when the post was left vacant, either momentarily or completely abandoned.

That's what I assumed happened, makes the most sense to me.
Corpsetaker was a psychotic, body-stealing, mind-penetrating, ghoul-enlisting, power-craving asshole, but he had a certain charm about him.
You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 05:44:40 AM »
-Who sent the ghouls to Camp Kaboom?

I thought it was pretty clear that it was the Reds but maybe not
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2011, 12:31:36 PM »
What do people see when they are in a soulgaze with Harry?
Storm Front: Why are the small folk watching Harry?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:50:31 PM by Magnus »
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2011, 02:58:40 PM »
Added the soulgaze, but what do you mean about the small folk?  Harry had to summon Toot in Storm Front.
-the DM

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2011, 03:05:07 PM »
page 74 Storm Front paperback
"No fun at all," he complained. "No wonder you can't get a date unless someone wants to know something from you."
I blinked at him, and he chortled in glee. "Hah! I love it! We're watching you, Harry Dresden!"
Now that was disconcerting. I had a sudden image of a dozen faery voyeurs lingering around my apartment's windows and peering inside. I'd have to take precautions to make sure they couldn't do that. Not that I was afraid of them, or anything. Just in case.
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
Fool Moon?- what happened with Harry's mom that made Hell lose her?
And Chocolate is associated with love and love killed the Dinosaurs, you are a genius Sjsharks

TWCB-Dinosaurs