Author Topic: Enchanted Items  (Read 1476 times)

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
Enchanted Items
« on: December 10, 2010, 06:26:45 PM »
I guess I am having some trouble figuring out what can be done with Enchanted Items.  I have a character with a Lore of 3 which would allow me to put an Aspect on a scene with a Manuever.  But how far does that go?  Could he have a Ring that allowed him to survive a fall from any height by adding the Aspect "Feather Fall" or something?  Or could he have an item that gave him "Eyes Like a Cat" that would allow him to see in the dark?  What are the limitations?  Are there any?  What Enchanted Items have you created?
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
Re: Enchanted Items
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:51:51 PM »
Well, the lore of 3 would allow him to place an aspect the GM deems as normal difficulty.  The limitations are whatever you wish.  A fellow player in one of the PbP games here has an item that grants him the "Nimble as a Mountain Goat" aspect.

Keep in mind three things.  First, 3 shifts is enough to declare an aspect, but not make it sticky.  This means that he gets the aspect for a short while, but as soon as he tags it, it disappears.  Second, the only real benefits of declaring an aspect are getting a tag (a single +2 or reroll) or invoking it with a fate point (and invoking won't really be available to him since it's not sticky).  So while he could declare "Eyes Like a Cat" to get a +2 to a perception check in the darkness, it would only give him a single free +2.  Third, aspects aren't just usable by you.  If enemies can figure them out, they can use them too.  If he makes a "Light as a Feather" aspect and jumps off a building, then maybe the bad guy who is pursuing him grabs him out of the air and pulls him back using that same aspect.  And if he made an assessment to determine the aspect, he might even do it for free.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 11:39:10 PM »
OK.  So it could be used against him.  That makes sense.  But if he waited until just before he hit the ground to activate the item then it would hard to do that.  Would the Eyes of a Cat only be useful for one exchange then?  Or could you use it for an entire scene out of combat?  And didn't I read that a character could take another point of Stress to activate the Item for another exchange?

Maybe a better way to go about this is to challenge everyone to come up with a 1 Enchanted Slot item made by a Lore 3 character.  And for the sake of this thread leave out potions for now.  What kind of Items or Effects could a character have?
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 12:16:59 AM »
Second, the only real benefits of declaring an aspect are getting a tag (a single +2 or reroll) or invoking it with a fate point (and invoking won't really be available to him since it's not sticky).  So while he could declare "Eyes Like a Cat" to get a +2 to a perception check in the darkness, it would only give him a single free +2.

There is another way one can use aspects. One can compel them, however the book is a little hazy on the exact limits and uses for compels so it's really up to the GM as to how far you can take it.